SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't even know where to start. The last 3 days out have been some of my best detecting days of my 10+ years of detecting :headbang:. It all started out with my mom and I securing permission on a huge 400 acre farm in my area. First off this farmer was one of the nicest and easiest to deal with ever. He told us to call him in 2 weeks because he was going to harvest the soybeans in a field where he knocked 2 old houses down and filled them over ;D. In 2 weeks we were back and he showed us roughly where the houses were. Immediately started seeing old pottery,glass, etc. The sand was super dry and sugary. All of this were ingrediants for a colonial storm of finds. We start out low at the exact house site and pulled some indians and wheaties, but mostly trash. Ventured further behind where the house was and started finding buttons. OLD buttons. Mom kept shouting "Button!" "Buckle!" and it was just mayhem from there. Button after button. Tombacs with designs, puffy buttons, ball buttons galore, just buttons everywhere. I was lucky enough to find the first coin. Nice soft tone at about 5 inches. A Beautiful green disc emerged about the size of a quarter. 1800 Half Cent! A first for me and in beautiful condition. Already on cloud nine an houre or so goes by and Im close to mom and get a nice soft repeatable zinc signal. "Hey mom come over and scan this, sounds like a coin" Well dug down and flipped out the plug and saw the green beauty looking at me. It was a large cent, I rubbed the dirt away from the front and saw a beautiful site a beautiful female with a Large ribbon in here hair. Freaking out I saw the date 1794! wow. Words can't describe finding this. Happy dances all around. Then moms scores. 1786 NJ copper! Then she scores again an unknown possbily british coin. Needless to say the sun was going down and we had to eat and drink something, somehow we forgot all day :D Day 2 was similiar more buttons, a smooth looking state coin possibly vermont or connect. and about 15 more buttons. Day 3 slowed even more with 12 buttons 1 copper unkown and an indian or 2. We had officially dug every square inch of that field. So much more story to tell but heres the pics!
Coins weren't cleaned yet. Total of buttons number 80+, 18 buckles, 6 coppers,3 cufflinks,12 injuns, and too much more to list. Enjoy. I will add more pics when I meet up with my mom again to get group shots. Couldn't have asked for a hunt better than this with the person who got me hooked on this hobby at a young age, my mom. :-* Love ya mom.
finds-1.jpg

IMG_20101128_181430.jpg

finds2.jpg

finds3.jpg

PB210279.jpg

PB210273.jpg

PB210274.jpg

PB210278.jpg

Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

Re: Colonial Bonanza!

Dang Jim, that's a bonanza for sure.. That Liberty cap is stunning and the 1800 HC, two magnificent finds :headbang: well done

Potter Poker

Jan 29, 2007
Potter County, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Unbelievable harvest!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Didn't know writing existed on the edge of a coin of that type and age. Nice bonanza there, congrats and keep the pics coming...PP

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All I can say is WOW!!!

All the planets were aligned for you two on this hunt. . . simply awesome :thumbsup:

Ah. . . when are you going back there? :tongue3:

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

:headbang:
WOW! Thats a bonanza alright! The coins are beautiful and I love that liberty cap cent!! Congrats on your great finds!
Keith

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great stuff...congrats. I would get back to that field as often as I could this season. Good luck on future digs.

NJ

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow...that 1794 LC is in the best shape I have seen for a ground find! That's a banner copper!

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks a lot everyone, won't forget this field thats for sure! :thumbsup:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

romeo-1 said:
Wow...that 1794 LC is in the best shape I have seen for a ground find! That's a banner copper!
I have to agree, that Liberty Cap just doesn't come out of the ground any better.
Congratulations on some great beepin recoveries.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow ! This is one of the best hunts I have seen posted in a while. You and your Mom hit the Motherlode for sure. I bet there is still more there. You guys still have soybeans standing??
Great hunt and good luck with your new site.
HH
TnMtns

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Banner finds for sure. I was thinking by the time I saw it posted here it would have been up there already, but I give it until the morning.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007

You sure worked for those finds...You must have dug a ton of holes...Those sweet coins and relics makes it all worth it..Congrats

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes sir, that was a good one. You will remember that one forever. You should feel a little lucky too that everything came together as it did.

You got permissioin from a great guy, who narrowed down the search area.
A never before hunted site, they can be a scarce find.
there were lot of finds , and variety.
there were some great finds.

I can imagine your excitement.
Oh yeah, wish my mom got me into detecting when I was a kid.
Congrats to both of you.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Liberty Cap is a beauty and , NJ is also special for us Jersey diggers !!! :headbang: buttons , relics , :thumbsup: Absolutely a Bonanza

Attachments

• meadowphoto.jpg
    meadowphoto.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,341
  • meadowphoto.jpg
    meadowphoto.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,340

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you kidding me? Look at all the goodies :headbang: Congrats !!!

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

mother load is right on the button! ah buttons i mean. the coins simply unbeilvable. great hunt with your mom. willy

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow! What a post. Love that liberty cap. :thumbsup:

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil

Jim just amazing, i still would not give up on that site for awhile. Are u treating your mom to some good ole dirtdigging does she like it better than the beach? Well where ever she hunts she has a great day, lets pass some of that luck over. LOL HH Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread