CSA Camp-Bullets, Enfield with "57"Base, Plate from US Saddle-New Pic of 57 Base

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CSA Camp-Bullets, Enfield with "57"Base, Plate from US Saddle-New Pic of 57 Base

Dman (Mr. C.S.A. Buckle) and I invited Josh to hunt a different Gen. John Hunt Morgan Camp with us today. They could hunt only 3-4 hours because of their respective businesses needing attention so we started at 9am. We ended up with the usual round balls (.31 to .69 cal.), .58 cal. 3 ringers, and a couple of Enfields. Josh had the best find today with a .577 cal. Enfield with a "57" stamped in the base. That was his first base marked Enfield. He also dug the oval brass guard plate in the center of the first pic. These guard plates were affixed around the seat of the saddle so rawhide could be run through the slots to tie on bedrolls with rawhide. No doubt Morgan Troops "appropriated" the McClellan saddle from some Union Troopers.
Dman and Josh are shown in the 2nd pic. Not a bad day on a short hunt with 16 displayable relics from a Confederate Camp that has seen more than it's share of hunters. Note to F75 Users-Today, if it read "12" or higher on the display and was 9-12 inches deep, we dug the signal and most of the time it was a bullet. Good Hunting from all 3 of us and Happy Holidays from Tennessee, Quindy.
NOTE-I added a pic of a .577 cal. Enfield with the "57" molded into the base if you have never seen one. Josh carried his bullet home with him and this one is from my collection. As soon as Josh dug it, I cleaned the dirt from the base to see if it had a base mark. Morgan Camps have some Enfields with base marks. The "57" is the most common to find.

Attachments

• CSA Camp 12-3-2010 (640x480).jpg
    CSA Camp 12-3-2010 (640x480).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 911
  • Dman & Josh (640x480).jpg
    Dman & Josh (640x480).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 918
  • DSCN0380 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN0380 (640x480).jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 604
Upvote 0

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: CSA Camp Today-Bullets, Enfield with "57"Base, Guard Plate from McClellan Saddle

Awesome hunt Quindy. I will keep your tip in mind when I get my LTD.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CSA Camp Today-Bullets, Enfield with "57"Base, Guard Plate from McClellan Saddle

Not bad at all Quindy!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Q-man,
Congrats to the Tenn Trio. :icon_thumleft: You guys are going over that place with a fine tooth comb.
Thanks for the info on the oval guard plate. I'll have to see if I have one. I probably thought it was a keyhole cover. :tongue3: :dontknow:
Well done. :hello2:
-Dug-

Attachments

• Dman_&_Josh_(640x480).jpg
    Dman_&_Josh_(640x480).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 803

Dixiedigger

Dec 2, 2009
Southern Middle TN
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher f75

Good hunt my friends, I got in some relics this afternoon myself, sent you pictures. I just don't have much time anymore.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

I really enjoyed the day. I wished you hadn't posted my picture now all the women will be chasing me.
Dman

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

treasurehound said:
Awesome hunt Quindy. I will keep your tip in mind when I get my LTD.
We are not F75 experts Randy but we have learned a lot about them. HH, Quindy.
kuger said:
Not bad at all Quindy!!
Thanks Cody. Everything left there in that camp is pretty deep but there was good moisture in the soil to help conductivity today. HH Bud, Quindy.
ModernMiner said:
Q-man,
Congrats to the Tenn Trio. :icon_thumleft: You guys are going over that place with a fine tooth comb.
Thanks for the info on the oval guard plate. I'll have to see if I have one. I probably thought it was a keyhole cover. :tongue3: :dontknow:
-Dug-
If Dman & Josh were not big enough clowns, I have you to put up with. Carrying that 12 volt car battery around to power my camera is rather cumbersome. HH J.W., Quindy.
Dixiedigger said:
Good hunt my friends, I got in some relics this afternoon myself, sent you pictures. I just don't have much time anymore.
Thanks Andy and I liked the pic of your recoveries. Congrats on your first carved bullet and the other dropped bullets today. You could not have hunted much overr half an hour today before you lost daylight. You are a busy guy this year but I 'm sure we will get together before Christmas.
Dman said:
I really enjoyed the day. I wished you hadn't posted my picture now all the women will be chasing me.
Dman
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have posrted that. Think how many females will hurt themselves running AWAY from the computer. Quindy.

U

umrgolf

Good hunt :icon_thumleft: D-man has to beat 'em off with a stick I bet :laughing7:

KRAZYHORSES

Aug 17, 2010

nice finds getting out with friends like that is just as fun nice being invited to an awesome site enjoy the hobby scott

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

umrgolf said:
Good hunt :icon_thumleft: D-man has to beat 'em off with a stick I bet :laughing7:

Jeff,
You must be talking about FLIES. :laughing9:
-Doug-

Jun 17, 2010
Middle,Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Detectors used: Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250,Garrett Treasure-Ace 200(retired) with Garrett PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you guys had a great day! wow nice finds!! :icon_thumright:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: CSA Camp-Bullets, Enfield with "57"Base, Plate from US Saddle-New Pic of 57 Base

OK..so maybe I need to move to 'ole Tennessee. Rekin they'd mind if an Auburn fan were to invade they're area? hahaha!!Super diggin', guys! You did much better than I yesterday! Great to see you all out there and having fun!

Nana :wink:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: CSA Camp-Bullets, Enfield with "57"Base, Plate from US Saddle-New Pic of 57 Base

Nana40 said:
OK..so maybe I need to move to 'ole Tennessee. Rekin they'd mind if an Auburn fan were to invade they're area? hahaha!!Super diggin', guys! You did much better than I yesterday! Great to see you all out there and having fun!

Nana :wink:
Auburn GIRLS are very welcome Southern Belle. You are getting close to that site you are looking for. Stay after it and good luck, Quindy.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

umrgolf said:
Not likely Jeff-LOL. HH, Quindy.
KRAZYHORSES said:
nice finds getting out with friends like that is just as fun nice being invited to an awesome site enjoy the hobby scott
Thanks Scott. You have had a great year hunting. HH, Quindy.
Tennessee Treasure Hunter said:
u giys had a great day wow nice finds!! :icon_thumright:
Thanks TTH. You personally know how much fun Morgan Camps can be. HH, Quindy.

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice finds guys! More history saved!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

ModernMiner said:
umrgolf said:

Jeff,
You must be talking about FLIES. :laughing9:
-Doug-
I am going to report you to the moderator and have you put in timeout. :tongue3:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Quindy , Quite a hunt with some great finds , lost plate from captured US saddle is interesting :o Y'all know how to have fun and are a lot of laughs . :laughing7: dawg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well you guys have fun. That is important. Nice digs.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Q-man,
-Dug-
Hahaha~!

Now that's some good digging fellas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread