Hunted a 1300s mill and a defensive position today...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped by an old mill today that was originally built in the 1300s. Was there last winter but it was mostly frozen and I was looking for a defensive military position from a war fought in the late 1600s. The owner of the mill told me to come back in the spring and he would show me the exact position in the forest. Today was that day and he went with me into the forest and showed me the area. He watched me detect for about 20 minutes, all I found were a few pieces of iron and junk, then offered me to detect all his land as he is now interested in what I was doing. I detected for another 45 mins only finding a few pieces of junk and kept thinking about the mill so I headed down to it. This picture below is of the defensive position from the Swedish army, you can make out a square where the troopies dug in a bit. Anything here is very deep and beyond my XLT, need to bring the Fisher up here sometime.
28May06defsite.jpg

Got to the mill and detected around the back of it near the stream as there has been some excavation done there, found some junk and a musket ball. Moved on to a grassy field to the side of the mill and found more junk. Took a break at the car and the owner came out and asked what I had found, just some junk and a musket ball was my reply. He got excited over the musket ball so I offered it to him, you would think I gave him a silver coin, he was happy about it and so was I! We chatted a bit then he asked if I’d like to have a look around his barn, what the heck, yes!
28May06lmuhle.jpg

We nosed around his barn for about 20 mins looking through some buckets of junk, several boxes of old dishes with no markings then I spotted this in a wooden box. Really thought it was a pipe so I got a little excited and he gave it to me but after cleaning it up, it looks more like an old spark plug wire cap, could be a pipe? After the barn, we were standing near his front yard and I mentioned there might be something interesting in it, right out the front door of a 1300s mill. He said go ahead and detect it, I thought WOW! Coins and relics dancing through my head but not to be.
28May06pipe.jpg

After about 45 mins of detecting his manicured lawn, I had only found this chain link with a topaz stone in it which made me smile, it was gold plated at one time. Not a bad find but I had expected too much here. The link may have come from a horse bridal or a pocket watch chain, just a guess. Found some junk there as well.
28May06link.jpg

This mill is about ½ mile from a castle built in 1107, my permit has red XXXs all around the castle so I can’t detect there, was able to legally detect there for a few weeks last fall during an excavation but I didn’t find anything interesting. Here’s some of the junk I found today. HH, Mike
28May06junk.jpg

Upvote 0

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
I'm glad to see I'm not the only who has bummer days, LOL! Hope you find lots more when you use the other MD!

vicki

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i thought the pipe was hospital urinal LMAO :D :D :D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
looks like an awesome spot! ill bet theres more there yet to be found!

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
The topaz is beautiful, and I think you will definitely find some other keepers when you go back. Congrats!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great pics mike and i,m going to get on a plane to germany one of days and i hope you leave something fo me congrat and happy hunting

tinpan

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At least you got out..Rain season here... Thanks for the pictures..wish more people took pictures like you and me and Tinpan too!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
I really enjoyed reading this story
and seeing the pics, too bad
your luck wasn't better. Hopefully,
next time it will be better.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the nice comments! The pipe is more than just a pipe, it's an older water pipe maybe late 1800s to early 1900s, first generation bong? LOL! The part I have was the water reservoir, a bowl and a stem would have mounted to it. HH, Mike

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Just plain awesome Mike! These are the types of places the rest of us dream of hunting.

If you own the Fisher CZ 3D or some similar machine you might reach the good stuff. Also the Nautilus DMC IIB with the 10 inch coil (9-12 inches on a dime) should fit the occasion.

Happy hunting and keep posting!

Badger

UnknownBounty

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hey, great find

Hey, awesome find matey. That "jewellery buckle" or whatever is astounding, is that amber?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Mike , Came across this today and thought of your find immediately.....'
19th C. Austro-Hungarian Pipe Bowl -- $120.00

Attachments

• Astro Hungarian pipe.jpg
    Astro Hungarian pipe.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 357

goldencoin

Gold Member