A really great day, a little clad, a gold scare and another James Avery piece!!

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a super day today was. I spent about 3 1/2 hours at a pounded park, infested with people and tricycle motors. I was digging a lot of junk, not taking any chances on missing something good and I learned a lot more about the way the F75 'talks.' Can't say that I am adept at the language, but, I can get by now! The first three hours consisted of mostly pennies masquerading as dimes, or, worse yet, the can shrapnel that can imitate most anything! So, this is the day's take, a whopping $1.05 in clad!:

1219hunt1.jpg

My next heart stopper came from digging a nicket signal, hanging steady at 27-28. With the plug out and moving some loose dirt in the bottom of the hole, I get a little glimpse of something glistening and it is gold in color and round like a ring......heart rate is going up now!! Just one more little scoop of dirt and I realize I have nothing more than a piece of junk jewelry. However, when I get it home and took a look with a loupe, I can see a maker's mark, 925 and Turkey on the inside! It must have a little gold plate on it, as it had a gold color......enough to make me think I finally hit a gold ring!:

1219earring1.jpg

I was calling it a day and heading back to my car, swinging with abandon and not covering the area well, when I hit a good solid signal of 63-64, a penny at 5" deep. Since I was headed to the car anyway, I decided to dig it. Much to my surprise, I see a little glint of silver in the loose dirt around the hole. Turns out, it was a James Avery cross.....this is my second James Avery in about a month:

1219JAcrossfront1.jpg
1219JAcrossback2.jpg

The cross measures 13/16" wide, point to point and 1 1/16" tall, point to point. I'm still trying to grasp having found two James Avery pieces in less than a month!!!

Upvote 1

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:dontknow: Couldn't see any of the pictures but, anyway..... :thumbsup:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Finds!
does james Avery refer to the style, or the actual maker?
I see a trident, is that his makers mark?
Great digs! :thumbsup:
My Etrac talks to me too ;D

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin
steelheadwill said:
Nice Finds!

It does resemble a trident at first glance; however, Avery's mark is a 3 stick candelabra with the letters "J" (left of the stem of the candelabra) and "A" (right of the stem)...or, sometimes just "Avery" due to limited space on the item.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
steelheadwill said:
Nice Finds!

Yes, James Avery is the designer of a line of custom jewelry, many with a Christian theme. Here is another pic of the back of the cross, maybe you can see the maker's mark a little better:

1219KAcrossback3.jpg

Here is a link to his site with a pic of the ring I found less than a month ago:
http://secure.jamesavery.com/jewelry/search/product/R-160/Eternal-Love-Ring/

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds..That Avery is made right here in Texas :laughing9:

Im actually heading to the James Avery store after work today..They always keep there value

HH

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
the 925 mark you saw is normaly a silver rating i see it on lts of the silver i dig rings charms pendates whatevers

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
teleman 2525 said:
the 925 mark you saw is normaly a silver rating i see it on lts of the silver i dig rings charms pendates whatevers

Yeah, I know about the "925" signifying sterling, however, on the earring, I didn't know if it applied only to the part that goes through the earlobe or the whole thing. I'm thinking it is only for the "post", as the other portion of the earring had a gold tint to it.

BTW, be sure an dig those penny signals.........the earring and the cross were hitting about 63-64 VDI

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread