Beach Rake Find

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
I went to the beach on Saturday. Still waiting for my new Tesoro Tiger Shark to get back from factory repair :( so I was limited to the dry sand with my Radio Shack. There were a dozen dump truck loads of sugar sand sitting along the side, so it looks like they are going to add sand to the beach and cover any goodies that might have been available. I worked an area of erosion where the beach rake had been dumping rocks, sand, sea weed and trash. I had previously found a ring in that pile, so now that it was knocked down and spread out awaiting an overlay of new sand, I had hoped for some new material close to the surface, but not much luck. I only found the items in the first photo including some clad, a covered wagon and a house key. I then was headed over to a brick foundation wall of an old fort when my detector quit working, I turned it back on and it stayed on only momentarily. It had overheated in the sun and would not work again until it had cooled down. However, when I sat on the low sea wall to fool around with the batteries and other components to see if I could get it to work, I noticed that there were additional small piles of beach rake deposits along the sea wall (2nd photo)...... and my detector would NOT stay on. I poked around in the pile and saw a nickle, which encouraged me to take my scoop and begin to pull the pile apart to look for more and out rolled this nice 14K WG class ring, a total of 39 cents and three polished stones from a tourist shop. I would have preferred a Spanish gold coin, but the ring was nice. Looks like the girl was from Southview High School in Sylvania, Ohio. A long way from Key West. I found the school web site and with a little work I should be able to track her down. She has a "Band" symbol on the ring, so I have a call into the coordinator of the Band Booster Club which was the only telephone number I could find on the web site. I am sure she will be very surprised to get the ring back. The ring find was fun, even if I don't get to keep it. It was a sad day for my MDs though. After I had the RS in the AC for a couple of hours it came on again and stayed on, so I went back to the beach, knowing that by the end of today, the piles will be leveled and covered with a ton of new sand. The MD only worked for another 15 minutes and I gave up for now, but at least I know where the piles were before they are covered over. HH to all. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• P1020631.jpg
    P1020631.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 578
  • P1020630.jpg
    P1020630.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 619
  • P1020632.jpg
    P1020632.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 612
  • P1020638.jpg
    P1020638.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 587
Upvote 0
R

Reddackel

How wonderful that you are attempting to find the owner of the ring. Great character!

Red

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck finding the owner, Petersra. Please keep us posted.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The owner will be thrilled to hear from ya! :)

A

Aguila

I think you will find her. She hasn't graduated yet. Her ring says 2008. Good luck and HH

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
P,

sounds like you had a good day at the beach.

Trying to find the owner is a good deed on your
part.

have a good un.......................

Silvestri

Apr 29, 2006
suncoast sw florida
Detector(s) used
eyes in my head for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work Peter,

I am sure she will be very very happy and that is about as good a feeling as you can get short of finding a Spanish coin...but more rewarding in the long run..Keep it up...btw My kids and i went to Marathon and snorkeled Sombrero reef on sat 3rd...the ocean was at it's best behavior and the water clear and blue.You are lucky to be in the Keys..we had to go back to sarasota Sunday but we'll be back.Didn't do anydetecting but will next time.Peace

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Way to not give up Pete.I believe the treasure gods will reward you ten fold for returning the ring. ;D >>>>>>joe

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice ring find! WTG! Sometimes the owner's aren't so easy to track - but good luck!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer about the detectors but still nice finds! Would be great to return a ring so far away from where you found it, she will appreciate it the rest of her life. HH, Mike

OP
OP
petersra

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Well, I found the owner. She is in Toledo, Ohio. Got her telephone number and address last night from a fellow band student. I will be calling her tonight and mailing out the ring tomorrow. I have been blessed already with an interesting discovery. If my metal detector had not broken and forced me to search by sight, I would not have found the ring. The Radio Shack has notched discrimination and I routinely discriminate out iron when I get to the beach with all the beer bottle caps there. I decided that before I send this ring back I needed to take some more pictures and check the ID of the ring with the RS since it has cooled down enough to use. Turns out that the ring shows up as iron sweeping in one direction and iron/pt sweeping the other direction but 90% of the time as iron. With the notch discrimination knocking out iron, the RS did not see the ring at all except once in 10 sweeps from only one direction. Who knows how much gold I have passed over because I discriminated out iron ??? ??? ??? Now I am going to have to hunt the whole beach without discrimination and find every beer bottle cap, screw, wire, nut and bolt. Not sure what the Tiger Shark will do with a ring like this, but this has already been a valuable lesson in what my machine is trying to tell me and I know I have a lot more work to do to get this right so I am not digging more than I have to but not discriminating out the good stuff....... Who knows, this could be the beginning of God's 10-fold blessing. Thanks for looking and sharing your words of encouragement.

R

Reddackel

How wonderful that you've found the owner. I love this story!

Red

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread