1870 2 cent piece/same site

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Never found a 2 cent piece before a couple of weeks ago, then found 1864 one. Went back to the same old house (now historical society headquarters) and found an 1870 yesterday. Then went across the street to where an old school was way back (now a private house) and the owner gave me permission. Asked if he had seen anything old around the yard and darned if he didn't say he found a 2 cent piece behind his neighbor's yard years ago (we didn't have any luck at his place, unfortunately, just a couple of wheaties and part of a pocket watch). Any idea why this may have been such a widely used coin in this area back then? This is in Connecticut.

Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats,those are cool coins. I have one but I did not find it ,I got it in a trade.

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
That was around the time of the Civil War and Yankees were a little better off than the Southerners. We usually only find one cent pieces down South from that time frame. ;D ;D ;D Don't really know why, but I am sure a 2 cent piece is great to find. Have not found one YET... HH

emesis

Mar 12, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from ct. and I recently found a 2 cent piece.....neat coin. A friend also found one at his old house in New London. Where in ct. are you from. PFP

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey, bergie. Nice coin find. :)

Last year, I found two 2-centers at one of my sites. I also found one this year at another cellarhole......2 miles down the road. This is in NW Pennsylvania. Two of them were 1864 and the other was 1865.

The bad thing about 2-centers around here is that they are fragile. They fall apart if you're too rough with them. I found that out the hard way. :( Next one I find, I'm just going to rinse it with water.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Well done Bergie!
That's some great finds,
maybe the kids had pennies and these
and that was a lot of loot for them back then I bet.

Go get more.
Hope to see some pics of your goodies soon!

Smiles!
BDoo

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats bergey! I'd say reason is because they had a decent amount of people with pocket change during years coins were minted. ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread