DAY 2 PLAYGROUND FINDS

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I've decided that I'm going to try to detect playgrounds for a while,since it's a change from detecting local parks.
Today I met more children interested in what I was doing and I even told one girl where she purchase a metal detector. A little boy and girl,brother and sister asked if they could help dig for me today. So I said sure and I showed the boy how to use the digger. I just started using one with serrated teeth and I was very nervous letting a child use it. I watched him VERY carefully and I also told him not to swing it in the air that it wasn't a toy. I said I don't think your mother and father would be to happy with me if you got hurt. The girl looked very young and I asked her how old she was, she said she was seven. I said I'm sorry your very young and little and I don't think it's safe for you to be digging. I gave both of them each penny they helped find but they gave them back to me. LOL The boy then wanted a dime I found and the little girl wanted the heart charm. I told the girl I'm very sorry but I don't find a lot of jewelry and I'd like to keep it. At this point I felt like Cruella DeVille. :( She didn't seem upset but I felt bad.

The little boy said he had a penny from the 1800's(can't remember the date he told me) and a nickle from the 1920's and I said you have an Indian Head penny and a Buffalo nickle. He said yes that's what they are,so I asked him where he got them from. He said since he received good grades, his social counselor gave them to him. I asked him what grades did he get and he said A's & B's and I said that's what I use to get as well. Then he told me his sister Holly(7 yrs old) get's straight A's. :D
Just think if these two get metal detectors, I bet they could find more than me. ;)

Todays finds(one and a half hours of detecting): 2 quarters, 4 dimes, 1 nickle, 13 pennies, heart charm,and broken gold chain.

The second photograph is of some finds from last weekend: Sterling silver chain(broken),brown bottle with metal trim at neck,marble(found while digging a coin), and some sort of buckle(Band It 1/2 Denver). I have no idea if the marble is old,but I found it at a site that dates back to 1939.

Attachments

• Finds11.jpg
    Finds11.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 490
  • Finds22.jpg
    Finds22.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 483
Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
A very good day from what I see. Playgrounds are great for lots of goodies that kids tend to sneak out of the house with. Good Luck and HH!

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Play grounds are such a joy to detect. I too get a million questions from the little tike's. So much energy and questions glad to see kids being kids these days with all the turmoil around us. Great finds.

OP
OP
Pennyworth

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
i said:
Nice finds, sir!

But that brown bottle... I think it's a crack vial! :-\

Thanks, but I'm a miss. lol ;)

I had a feeling the bottle was to hold drugs but wasn't sure, well there's a first for me. lol

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennyworth said:
i said:
Nice finds, sir!

I had a feeling the bottle was to hold drugs but wasn't sure, well there's a first for me. lol

Id have to agree on it being a crack vial. Be careful with it. You'd hate to get some residue on your finger and then get it in your eye.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that little heart Penny!

Keep them finds comin!!

Nana ;)

BADDOG

Dec 21, 2004
Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Great finds. You never know what you'll find at the playgrounds. I've found a lot of foreign coins, I guess show and tell? A couple of weeks ago I found a 1888 V nickle in the wood chips.

Keep looking.

Good Luck and HH

Baddog

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Going to the schoolyards early morning on the weekends helps keep it more peaceful, but it sounds like you have a ggod attitude about it all, well done, nice finds anyway.

I remeber about 35 years ago, I was one of them kids watching a nwighborhood teenager detect. After several times watching him, he let me swing his detector and dang if a I didn't find a Merc Dime. Of course he kept it, but it's a "treasured" memory and I have been hooked since.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
Pennyworth

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
nathan104 said:
Pennyworth said:
i said:
Nice finds, sir!

Id have to agree on it being a crack vial. Be careful with it. You'd hate to get some residue on your finger and then get it in your eye.

I cleaned it with a bottle brush and antibacterial soap,so I think it's safe now. Thank you :)

M

mchamby

Nice finds Penny, I can't wait for the rain to let up so I can hit some of the playgrounds before all the kids are out of school. HH ;)
Mchamby

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread