DSC01843.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 684
Upvote 0

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aren't you reading a little more into it. Why do you say it's from 1968? More likely it's from 1868.
When the Civil War began, this unit entered the service of Virginia as Company G, 2nd Virginia Infantry Regiment, one of the units that comprised the famous Stonewall Brigade.

The Virginia Army National Guard traces its history back to 1607, to the Jamestown settlement (the official history of the National Guard starts at 1636 in the Plymouth, Massachusetts, colony).

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Eddie Lomax said:
Aren't you reading a little more into it. Why do you say it's from 1968? More likely it's from 1868.
When the Civil War began, this unit entered the service of Virginia as Company G, 2nd Virginia Infantry Regiment, one of the units that comprised the famous Stonewall Brigade.

The Virginia Army National Guard traces its history back to 1607, to the Jamestown settlement (the official history of the National Guard starts at 1636 in the Plymouth, Massachusetts, colony).
I agree Eddie. What a great find.
Did you clean that tag Terry doo?

Attachments

• bice-tag.gif
    bice-tag.gif
    22.1 KB · Views: 553
OP
OP
Capt.E

Capt.E

Jan 17, 2008
FAR NOR CAL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Xlt , Minelab Equinox 800 , Fisher Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Eddie Lomax said:

The reason I say 1968 is because it is made out of aluminum and I dont think they had aluminum in 1868 and no I didnt clean it.

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
History
Ancient Greeks and Romans used aluminium salts as dyeing mordants and as astringents for dressing wounds; alum is still used as a styptic. In 1761 Guyton de Morveau suggested calling the base alum alumine. In 1808, Humphry Davy identified the existence of a metal base of alum, which he at first termed alumium and later aluminum (see Etymology section, below).

The metal was first produced in 1825

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium

bite_me

Jan 14, 2011
here's a dog tag i found from 1921...yours looks much older,,,great find

Attachments

• 110115-113729.jpg
    110115-113729.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 327

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
terrydoo said:
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Eddie Lomax said:

The reason I say 1968 is because it is made out of aluminum and I dont think they had aluminum in 1868 and no I didnt clean it.

Good logic. Aluminum was extremely rare as a metal until about 100 years ago. In 1868 it would have been far rarer and more precious than gold--it wouldn't have been used for a Civil War dog tag. From the Wikipedia article:

"Although aluminium is the most abundant metallic element in the Earth's crust, it is never found in free, metallic form, and it was once considered a precious metal more valuable than gold. Napoleon III, Emperor of France, is reputed to have given a banquet where the most honoured guests were given aluminium utensils, while the others made do with gold.[18][19] The Washington Monument was completed, with the 100 ounce (2.8 kg) aluminium capstone being put in place on December 6, 1884, in an elaborate dedication ceremony. It was the largest single piece of aluminium cast at the time, when aluminium was as expensive as silver.[20] Aluminium has been produced in commercial quantities for just over 100 years."

Jeff

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
wow, nice find, better yet what great info :notworthy:

HH

Top Member Reactions