Newbie going on first hunt!!!!

bennyg23

Greenie
Jan 6, 2011
North Eastern Arizona
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, Fisher F5
Just received my 1st MD last night!!!
About 6 weeks ago I decided to sell off all of my bass guitar gear and invest in this hobby that I've been interested in since I was a kid. I have been reading on this forum (thanks for all of the great posts) and the web trying to make a good informed decision on what detector to buy. Well after many weeks of contemplation, I went with a Lobo S/T. After all, I live in AZ and wanted a great gold machine and a good coin and relic machine. I think I made the right choice, I'm packing up my youngest boy as I write this and we're heading out on our first hunt. I live in a town of about 3000 people and it was settled in about 1870 by the Mormon pioneers. But before that there have been ancestors of the Spanish that came through here back in the 1400's along with the Navajo, Hopi, and the Apaches.
I had to laugh though, on my way to the post office to pick up the detector, I saw a guy detecting one of the school fields. I found this ironic because after talking with some old timers from around here, they had mentioned not seeing ANYBODY detecting since the 80's. What's the chance? Anyways plenty for the two of us. I'll post my finds, if I get that lucky, we're headed to an old homesite (with permission) built in about 1895 and nothing but cattle on there since about 1975.

Wish me luck....
Bennyg23

Upvote 0

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Welcome to TNET ! :hello:

You will find a lot of wonderful people here ! Look forward to seeing your finds !

-Tx

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck and Have Patience

Aurora64blue

Sep 25, 2009
South Eastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tiger Shark, Fisher F70, Vibra Probe 580
Hi Benny

Welcome to the hobby. You're going to have years of fun with that Lobo. Great decision on that pick, as I have only heard good reports on it. I own 2 Tesoros and have done extremely well with them, they're great machines, very sensitive and durable too.

I'm not sure how old your son is, but if he's anywhere at the same age as my 2 oldest kids (9 & 11), you might let him do some of the detecting, as well as locating the item with a pin pointer (pick one up if you haven't, it makes life a lot easier!). I found my kids were mainly excited about the final locating of the object, and also carrrying the items in their own pouch. Due to their lack of strength, the digging just got them frustrated and tired them out too easily.

Have alot of fun, and remember, the real reward is being out there and enjoying the day and the company that you may be lucky enough to have with you!

Cheers mate, :icon_thumright:

Ralph

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of Luck to ya Benny....There's plenty of people here to answer question's,just ask :thumbsup:

mretrackr

Sep 17, 2010
have patients... stay confident...... and never forget that the more junk you dig the more goodies you will dig.

Welcome to this very rewarding hobby !!!

HH and the best of luck

mikeB

Coin Stalker

Jan 12, 2011
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Max, Tesoro Compadre
Nice finds, yeah once you start to use a little more discrimination you wont find as much trash..... :thumbsup:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to T-Net. It's always good to have new faces. Good luck, and Happy Hunting

OP
OP
bennyg23

bennyg23

Greenie
Jan 6, 2011
North Eastern Arizona
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, Fisher F5
Sorry if I've all ready posted, I'm trying to figure this out. Hopefully my pics upload...... first pics is of all finds. the small rivet is a Levi Strauss copper rivet, a clock key a lantern base and a big rifle cartridge, I used a dime for size reference.

Thanks to everyone for the support and comments!!!!

Bennyg23

Attachments

• 592new.jpg
    592new.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 518
  • 597new.jpg
    597new.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 513
  • 601new.jpg
    601new.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 510
  • 605new.jpg
    605new.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 508
  • 607new.jpg
    607new.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 506

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure-Net, I like your Avitar pic, I once told a 94 year old lady that smoking was going to kill her, we all had a good laugh. ::)

Fossis............

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome Benny! You will find a plethora of information and great folks here. I think it is great that you and your son are doing this together! He will never forget the 'good times' with dad!! Great finds for a first hunt....a lot more than I got!!

P.S. txconservative, no offense lady, but, you
need a new avatar, that one is too washed out
and too much of your 'pretty' doesn't show!

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster
Hey are you by any chance in the white mountains? Im in Pinetop Az. This site is great you will like it. However MD'ing in our area is rough to say the least. I usually head down to the desert where the digging is easier and the Forest rangers dont give you outrageous tickets. lol. Nice finds and Welcome to T-NET! Send me a PM if you want to detect sometime. I need to blow the dust off my machine. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread