first post on this forum....heres my 1907 english penny

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first post on this forum....here's my 1907 english penny

went detecting today for the first time. hit 2 parks, made a clean 77 cents.

question: Why does my cheap *ss detector sometimes only hit an object on a right-hand sweep and not the left (or vice-versa)? I noticed this kind of hit yeilded nothing. but i did notice when she zeros in on, say, a quarter- it will beep at a precise spot from any angle.

nuther question: what are the rules or etiquette about MDing in graveyards. If im say in an old cemetary, and not digging directly on a grave. anybody find any good stuff in cemetarys?

things I learned:
MDing is hard work. playground sand is too hot for flip-flops. kids think you're cool, the parents think you're a freak.

the penny im posting i found visually in scotland along a trench-spoil. years ago. Anybody think is a good find? sorry, but as im a newcomer, its the best thing i got.

thanks for reading this far, and would love to hear from anyone.
-thomas

Attachments

• 1907 penny.jpg
    1907 penny.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 346
Upvote 0

BjC

Mar 1, 2006
In Your Backyard
Re: first post on this forum....here's my 1907 english penny

Good Stuff, what detector are you using?

And I wouldn't touch a graveyard... old or not

OP
OP
lamplighter36

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

its a discovery 1100. loaned to me, probably the cheapest thing in radio shack.
darn thing beeps like crazy, i cant possibly dig all that iron. so i just went after the "silver" hits. well, after i dug up 2 welding rods, a washer, and a nut.

i also tried under some MDing under the bleachers of a baseball field. they were made of metal, i think my detector had a stroke cause it was beeping various depths, varies metals nonstop. i didnt dig. is that bad?

i should probably buy a decent machine right? im just glad i found some money on my first outing.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Lamp,

welcome to the board.

"Anybody think is a good find?" They
are all good finds ;)

Don't do any detecting in cemeteries myself.
Some do and some don't. Depends on how
you feel about it.

Looking forward for more posts from you.

have a good un..............

OP
OP
lamplighter36

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks for the replies Sherm and BjC!

here's a pic of my "haul" today. I'm so new at this, I still get amazed when my detector actually finds a quarter. it's like, well, magic.

Attachments

• 1st time.jpg
    1st time.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 303

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to the forum....nice penny you got

HH
-GC

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thomas welcome! I would reccomend you stick to area around the cemeteries and not hunt in them. I would also say if you enjoy this hobby than buy a better detector. Are you looking for relics or coins? Good luck. Tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here is a 1875 English penny I found here in Missouri. You can read the story on the best of finds section. Tsgman

Attachments

• english penny.JPG
    english penny.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 283
  • english penny front.JPG
    english penny front.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 283

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

welcome to the life of detecting,, ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Lamplighter, welcome to Tnet world. Already it seems like you're going to fit right in. ;)

question: Why does my cheap *ss detector sometimes only hit an object on a right-hand sweep and not the left (or vice-versa)? I noticed this kind of hit yeilded nothing. but i did notice when she zeros in on, say, a quarter- it will beep at a precise spot from any angle.

I think you figured that one out by yourself.....either it's nothing or it's junque. 8)

nuther question: what are the rules or etiquette about MDing in graveyards. If im say in an old cemetary, and not digging directly on a grave. anybody find any good stuff in cemetarys?

Graveyards=controversy! Big no no! :-X

things I learned:
MDing is hard work. playground sand is too hot for flip-flops. kids think you're cool, the parents think you're a freak.

MDing isn't work...it's play. I'm a parent, and I think you're cool, but I'm a freak, too. ;D

the penny im posting i found visually in scotland along a trench-spoil. years ago. Anybody think is a good find? sorry, but as im a newcomer, its the best thing i got.

I think it's an awesome find. I would be thrilled with it. :)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've detected in and around several old cemetaries in the past and I know others that hunt them as well. My friends have made some great finds at cemetaries, with most of them being along the edges where the walking paths and parking areas are. I have never had a good find in a cemetary. I've hunted along the edges and over the grave areas and have only found an old button and half a croital bell.

The way I see it... The people are buried DEEP, far beyond the reach of your detector, so you don't detect the caskets or anything that they might be wearing, plus you will never actually dig a hole that deep unless you have some wierd obsessive compulsive disorder to dig & find every thing that makes your machine beep.

If you are going to invest your valuable time into this hobby and take it seriously then you should definately invest your money as well and get something that won't let you pass over something that other people's machine can find with ease. You are wasting your time if you have a machine that won't get the deep, older coins that other detectors can find without a problem.

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",

Welcome to the forum. Detecting inside a cemetary? not for me, I don't think I would like anyone tromping around one of my loved ones graves, just doesn't seem right. Hope all your finds are good ones, HH Art...

froggy38383

Sep 27, 2005

Good find, well done. You seem to enjoy what you have done so far, investing in a better detector is likely worth it.

Hunting in cemeteries is frowned upon by most detectorists, although I have done it a bit, but with no success. I didn't like doing it.

Here is a pic of a detector modified to look under bleachers. It uses a small coil to allow getting close to metal stands, as well it has been shortened, and the armrest removed to allow the user to hunt on their knees.

Attachments

• 28163-mini_silver.jpg
    28163-mini_silver.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 214

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome Thomas, to the forum. I would advise you to invest in a better detector if you can afford it (maybe a Garrett Ace-250). As for detecting cemeteries, I don't think it's a good thing to do. (Just my 2 cents worth). Anyway, Good Luck in the future!

Huntin' 59er

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice finds and theres no comment on the graveyard hunting ;D ;D ;D

tinpan

OP
OP
lamplighter36

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you Everyone who replied and thanks for the pictures.

As I have been pretty much a TN junkie for the last few weeks, I recognize all your handles and avitars. Nice to get welcomed by all you "Pros" !

Was a member of a different forum or "fossil group" on yahoo, they were a bunch of snobs. I never got a reply...not one... they suck, you guys ROCK!

So I guess now I buy a new MDer...I guess the Gar. ACE 250 is a good place (or price) to start 1200.00 is a little steep for this green horn.

FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN HUNTING FLORIDA'S SITES.....check this website out:

http://web.uflib.ufl.edu/digital/collections/FLAP/

It is a interactive database of thousands of FLA aerial pictures going back to the 40's......great for making groovy pics like the ones i will attach (It's a lost neiborhood circa 40's). might help you narrow in old locales.

thanks ya'll
thomas

Attachments

• groovy pics.jpg
    groovy pics.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 153

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Welcome to the best treasure forum in the world.

Thomas, your digs look pretty normal. I dig lots of junk before I find something good.

As for a new machine, go with Tesoro. I bought the DeLeon mainly just to try Tesoro and then I figured I'd just dump it on ebay. I never did sell it because it's the best darn detector I've used in 40 years of detecting.

Happy Hunting

Badger

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

that little TESORO is the SHISKNIT!!!

Top Member Reactions