Woohoo first gold find.... NOT.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
so for the first time in a long time I had the entire day to go detecting. With temps in the low 50's it was a perfect day to be out without any time restraints. Got out to a property with a house built around 1800 and lots of farmland and woods. I hadn't gotten into the woods yet but finally did today.

The house, which has been cherry picked, gave up very little. bunch of pull tabs, bunch of clad (all from the 70's. Disco money ;D ), bunch of stuff to weigh my goodie bag down, good in case of strong winds I guess :laughing9:

The house did give up a toy cap gun that I thought was kind of neat.

The field close by produced the buckle which my wife tells me was a ladies belt buckle (in two pieces). Might try to bend them straight.

after lunch headed into the woods and found lots of shells and bullets. after a while dug a target and saw 10K on it. Could feel my feet getting ready to do the happy dance. knocked off a little more of the dirt and read 10K RGP BEZEL Base Metal Back. :-[ turned out to be a pre 1960 Buren watch. Oh well one of these years some of the yellow shiny stuff will let me dig it. :icon_thumleft:

but the best part of the day was deep in the woods. I've had some thoughts about civil war activity here based on some things I know, so was looking for some possibilities. After some more bullets, I dug a Union Officers coat button which separated after leaving the hole >:( . hopefully I can hit that area hard. After that button I spent the better part of two hours chasing a good signal through some monstrous roots that would not yield the booty. >:( left the hole open for the next trip or for some animal to move in. :icon_thumright:

got out of the woods just in time for a nice sunset.

Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_20110129_180339.jpg
    IMG_20110129_180339.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 385
Upvote 0

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have a great place to hunt. Keep up the good work....Matt

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I found a "gold" pocket watch last year (well, 2009 actually). The more i cleaned it, the more the gold showed! But after checking with a magnifying glass, you could see cracks in the gold with a base metal underneath. Was fun thinking about it while it lasted.

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
spitfire55 said:
:thumbsup: Nice one!

Thanks Spitfire55

NOLA_Ken said:
Love the cap gun!

yeah me too. looked around that spot for the other half but could not find it.

mlayers said:
Looks like you have a great place to hunt. Keep up the good work....Matt

Thanks Matt. the only bad news is its a 45 min drive to get there. hopefully I can find something to pay for the gas money ;D

testing123 said:
I found a "gold" pocket watch last year (well, 2009 actually). The more i cleaned it, the more the gold showed! But after checking with a magnifying glass, you could see cracks in the gold with a base metal underneath. Was fun thinking about it while it lasted.

haha yeah I know. I was pretty excited for a min or two. can't wait for that feeling for real :icon_thumright:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just dug one of those buckles last week. Mine was bent too. I just boiled some water and dropped them in for a minute, pulled them out with tongs, and used a small wooded dowel to roll them out flat. Of course you have to bend a little, reheat a little, etc...but you can't even tell it was ever bent now.

Nice VA. finds.

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
I just dug one of those buckles last week. Mine was bent too. I just boiled some water and dropped them in for a minute, pulled them out with tongs, and used a small wooded dowel to roll them out flat. Of course you have to bend a little, reheat a little, etc...but you can't even tell it was ever bent now.

Nice VA. finds.

thanks for the info 4-H. How did the patina handle the boiling water and the bending. I am afraid it will come off and be able to see where I bent it. Maybe thats just inevitable.

OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
colorado14ers said:
nice old swiss watch! looks like a good hunt to me :headbang: ;D

Thanks. I'm always happy to find watches, no matter the condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread