My Kids Schoolyard - 18 June 2006

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
My Kid's Schoolyard - 18 June 2006

Well, decided this morning to see if anything exciting could be found at my kids' school. I just went to the softball area...did not stay long...I got bored :(.

At first the dirt seemed very very hard to the touch....but when I put the hand shovel in...dirt broke up very easy. Lots of clay a few inches down, but the clay is somewhat of a different texture than what is in my own yard, not as hard to dig in, much softer (we are two blocks from the school and is still on the same land as was the farm prior to 1965.) I need to get to the courthouse and get the lay of this land. I need to see how big this farm was (the boundaries) and where the possible homestead was located. I know where my house is....a barn was in the area of my house. But that's all I know.

Some parts of the schoolyard I dug...when you dug about 3 inches down, you got a layer of black dirt. I wonder if this was the area that may have been plowed at one time for crops ... not sure. One hole I got a very strong DING DING DING (yeah, mine does the DING DING DING for coins :)...I love that sound)...but this one hole was very strong and I dug approx 6-7 inches and my pinpointer hit a good area with a constant sound. Also, this was below that layer of black dirt. I was like, either lots of coins or some sort of pipe. Well, my youngest son came over to see what Mom got and as I uncovered some of it...my son said it looked like part of a fencing, like they have around the ballpark now, only not as modern as what we have. I did take a pic of it in the ground, nor did I remove it from the ground, I just left it where it was at. It was probably old fencing they took down years ago and replaced newer fencing and the old just got buried. So alot of the strong DING DING DING's I got, I just assumed...fencing :( (should I assume?????)

So, much of my finds was a 1979 penny and a 1964 dime (can't see the mint on the back....I have not washed off the dirt yet). No rings or other coins. I did hit a few holes that I had a strong DING DING DING...but dug and dug and could not pinpoint it...so I covered the hole and tried another. Will have hubby bring out my Minelab and let him do it. I don't use it...it's too heavy for me...but it's a nice one. He got that for me for Mothers/birthday present. So, he will keep that one and get me a GARRET ACE 250...I am using the 150 now and its perfect for me and so lightweight :)

So, maybe later this week we will go back and really go a swingin' on the ball field and see if I can get more than just old fencing :). I really want to get to that land that was granted by the King of England and is still in this particular family. Hope I can get hubby off the couch this week so we can go talk to the owner!!!! LOL

Oh....HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Img_0106b.jpg
    Img_0106b.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0
OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: My Kid's Schoolyard - 18 June 2006

I have the Minelab Explorer II....but not all prettied up like yours :)...is that a probe (pinpointer) attached to it? Did you do that or did you buy it that way? Way too cool...that would be too heavy for me, for sure!!! I used the Minelab on the beach when I first got it...had a hard time understanding the sounds and it turned out to be a lousy day. The next day, my arm and wrist were so sore!!! OUCH!!!

So, I stick with the Ace 150....I am so use to the sounds and I love the way the DING DING DING goes when I hit a coin :) ... only wish pipes, pulltabs, bottle caps and such found a different sound LOL.

Yea, I realized that after I posted my first message...checked my book. So, I will give that one to Hubby for Father's Day :)

If you're a Pa...Happy Father's Day.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

no, no, no ,no, yes thankx. ;D. read threw the forum link they offer kits to make them more balanced and lighter read into it...i wear a elbow brace even tho my detector is a TROY X5 and only weighs 2.5 pounds with a DD coil on it....

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

oh, ok....I will let hubby know about that. He may be interested. Thanks for the link. All those things make it look sweet!! LOL

Here's a link to the one I have...rather, it's my sons...he got for his 11th birthday. He used it a couple of times and it sat in the corner for 4 mths...so I use it now :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread