NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm building a room addition on an 1860's house here in town, and decided to bring my detector and hunt a bit on my lunch break. Found a lot of junk, (and a lot of my own nails) but managed to pull this lovely little gem out. It doesn't look like much, but it's a 1937 buffalo, and it's the first one I've found here. Any ideas on how to clean it up?

Attachments

• 100_3431.jpg
    100_3431.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,240
Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. You will never forget your first. I use ketchup to clean my nickels. Someone else may have a better methoed, but it works for me. :icon_thumleft:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find there got to be more. Better take the detector again.....Matt

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good. Now go find some more. And some silver too. :icon_thumright:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice Bufalo ...congrats ! :thumbsup:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buffalo's are a tough breed to clean if not impossible . Everyone I have found has looked rusty and beat up. Your buff is actually in good shape. Glad the ketchup worked out. Keep taking that detector to work and enjoy your lunch breaks :laughing7:

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electroalises would be best I could not tell you how to build one though .. :icon_thumright:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried so many things to clean nickels and the best thing I have found to lightly clean them is an SOS pad, wet the pad and lightly rub the coin under running water, just enough to remove the crud, you want to improve the looks for your collection anyway right? ..........and do not clean one if it is a key date

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bonus pay that day.the ketchup worked I,ll have too try that.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm doing the catch up thing rite now to my buff-low nickel that I found last year...thanks for the tip...what a forum...

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, that buff nickle cleaned up real nice. Please, tell me about the ketchup method....
Do you cover the coin and leave it for _____ hours? Or do you apply it with a toothbrush, and
________.....help me.....I have a couple of types of Korean coins that I find here that I have a devil
of a time cleaning them.....and I've tried everything......except ketchup..... :thumbsup:

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Good job. Ketchup idea new to me, good. Also, first I have heard of looking at number of legs on the buffalo. Gather that they made some errors coins with only three legs and that they may have some additional value? Checked the one I found yesterday and it does have 4.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
Hey, that buff nickle cleaned up real nice. Please, tell me about the ketchup method....
Do you cover the coin and leave it for _____ hours? Or do you apply it with a toothbrush, and
________.....help me.....I have a couple of types of Korean coins that I find here that I have a devil
of a time cleaning them.....and I've tried everything......except ketchup..... :thumbsup:

I just let it soak in a pile of ketchup on a plate for a while then used a soft toothbrush.

smittyw said:
Good job. Ketchup idea new to me, good. Also, first I have heard of looking at number of legs on the buffalo. Gather that they made some errors coins with only three legs and that they may have some additional value? Checked the one I found yesterday and it does have 4.

As far as I know the only three legged buffalo is on a 1937 d and they are worth a few hundred dollars, but people have faked them, so check them carefully.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread