Grandpas Dredge,can I make it work.....?

Cohen

Feb 19, 2011
Washington
My Grandpa gave me his old dredge ( 3 inch, 3.5 Briggs ) I have not seen a engine with this type of pump on it,,,, I will need some new tubing and stuff... the gas was drained out 10 years ago, and it was wrapped in plastic under a tarp. I got new oil, new gas with a lil sea foam in it, and new spark plug, I will try firing it up in the morning.... and post some more better pics.... was hoping for some input on how it works compared to newer ones... also I was wondering where I can get some good 3 in. suction tubing that is not crazy expensive..?

will load pics in the morning..

Upvote 0

fishkiller41

Feb 19, 2010
Jupiter Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably don't need to say it but, will anyway...
Make sure U put some water in the pump,even if U just crank it for a few seconds... ::)

drplaztics

Mar 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Tesoro Cutlass II uMax
I used to work in the plastics injection molding industry and it looks to me like the hoses I have seen
pictures of on dredges are the same kind of hoses we used to send plastic pellets in to different molding
machines or areas of the manufacturing facility. Because these hoses are used in 'bulk' in the
molding industry I would check plastic suppliers or molding industry suppliers before checking
the smaller dredge suppliers as the plastic suppliers I believe will have lower prices on these hoses.
There are also many more plastics industry suppliers competing for business so the prices should
be lower. They sell all different diameters of hoses and I believe you buy it by the foot.

---Ditto on the previous post. Don't start or run a pump without water in it as it wll burn out the pump.

---The moderator will probably move these posts into the 'Gold Dredging' posts.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
I am a dredger, you can find the proper suction hose at just about any major hose supplier. What you are looking for is clear "Flexible PVC Hose". It's flexible, but rather thick at the same time.], do not use the really thin cheaper stuff. Last time I checked in my area, 3" hose goes for around 7.00 a foot. Typical hose lengths are 15 to 20 foot long. I wouldnt worry about ruining the pump by starting it up dry for a few seconds, these pumps are not your usual trash/water type pumps, all it is.... is a housing with a impeller with little scoops and fins. There are no "O" rings or anything else that can get torn up if started dry. A test run to see if the engine will start is ok.... seriously. If you need high pressure water lines, I have some for you.

PM me, I can help you get what you need.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Is the motor stuck, or will it still spin?

10 years is a long time for an engine to sit. There is a good chance you are going to need carb work...maybe not, but just be ready for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread