Cannonball Run Part 2...and 3!!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the hunt started out awful but ended well! It rained all day yesterday but after midnight it turned freezing and snowed...very messy. Despite this I decided to go back to the beach where I found the cannonball earlier this week and give it another shot. When I got to the site i parked at a service station and asked the owner for permission to leave my car there...no problem. I got about 50 yards from the car before I realized that i locked my keys in the car!!! I figured that there was nothing I could do about it now so I might as well do my detecting and worry about it later. Just before the beach is a patch of marsh mud which usually isn't a problem. I got halfway across the marsh mud when I stepped into a hole which went over my boot...now i'm in a little trouble. My foot is wet and my keys are locked in the car...and it's about -25 Celsius with the windchill. Luckily I wore two pairs of socks so I carefully took off the wet socks and put on one of the dry socks from my dry boot. I also had a plastic bag in my pocket so I wrapped that around my foot before putting it back into the wet boot. Feeling rather proud of my preparedness I started walking again...and didn't get three feet before my other foot went into another water filled hole!!! Now I'm in trouble. Soaking foot, keys locked in the car and the spare set 25 miles away. Long story short, i called the wife and asked her to call a friend to run me out the spare set along with socks and boots. 45 minutes later and I was finally detecting!

As you can see, the hardship was worth the effort. I found a section of beach that was just littered with lead! I still love digging lead so I spent about 20 minutes here before setting out in search of another cannonball. I found the smaller one first...I think it's a 6 pounder but I haven't weighed it yet. 30 minutes later and i had the larger 12 pounder! That's my second 12 from this site.

Yesterday I posted some lead and stated that I was happy that i didn't find a cannonball because where's the fun if the site is littered with them...well today I can tell you that it is still very fun!!! Now i've got bookends and one for my desk at work!!!

Patriot, I'm catching up!!

Attachments

• 26 February 2011 002.jpg
    26 February 2011 002.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 931
Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dfx willy said:
AFTER HEARING about how your day started with the sink holes i dont know if i would of put a cannon ball in your hood. what if you hit another one? i could just see hitting another one and knocking yourself out from the cannonball hitting your head. :o but what a great day it turned out to be. congrats. willy

Yep...that thought occurred to me too...gotta start carrying a backpack!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Romeo1 :headbang: you may need more than a back pack , looks like the beginning of your own arsenal ;D daWg

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch...you were right, the big one from yesterday is an 18 pounder. I didn't bother weighing it yesterday because I just assumed it was another 12 but when I had all three together today I could see it was noticeably bigger.

So that makes a 4 pounder, 12 pounder and an 18 pounder!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch...you were right, the big one from yesterday is an 18 pounder. I didn't bother weighing it yesterday because I just assumed it was another 12 but when I had all three together today I could see it was noticeably bigger.

So that makes a 4 pounder, 12 pounder and an 18 pounder!

That makes sense. I have both a 4 and a 12, and it just didn't look right. You're sure knocking them off fast.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
romeo1, if I spell your name backwards..1oemor.. and I add a 'n' and a 'e', I get 1onemore. Make that happen ASAP. Is there such a thing as a sixteen pounder? I don't know.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't help myself, I'm with Bob, and like the story. "Feeling rather proud of myself, and my preparedness"...splush.

Knowing how you wanted one, glad you found what you were after...times 3

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Can't help myself, I'm with Bob, and like the story. "Feeling rather proud of myself, and my preparedness"...splush.

Knowing how you wanted one, glad you found what you were after...times 3

Yep...Steve Martin couldn't have done it any better! I actually exclaimed "Oh, you've got to be kidding me!!!"

BigBoom

Feb 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab E-trac,
Minelab Sovereign XS2a Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds as usual Romeo :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread