Awesome Colonial hunt with fellow Tnet member! UPDATE!!Bust Silver Counterfeit?

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So it apperas that the 1/2 dime is a period counterfeit. The dfx registers this coin at 40-41 well below where it should be metering at of 80. It was always in the back of mind due to the nature of the break. I am still super staoked and counterfeit coins just take the cake for sure. BUt on to find a real 1/2 dime! This coim has got to be the best counterfeit that I have ever seen as to the detail of the coin. ANd its is strane to me as to why fake a 5c coin opposed to say a 50c coin.

Met up with Mike (Woodland Detectors) for a hunt at one of my earlier sites. Gotta say Mike is an awesome guy! We had a blast recovering some prime early American relics. It was a perfect day of detecting in Central Va! The day started off with a 1889 V nickel, then mike got into a patch of nice flat buttons on the high ridge where the house sat. WHile working out the ridge I got a great 81-82 on the DFX and wouldnt you know at about 7 inches of Red dirt was a Draped Bust Copper. A few minutes later I got a 79 shallow reading (2") and out pops another copper!(In bad shape but it is a classic head design) The very next target at about 6" pops out a mens 14k band! :tongue3: At about this time I was as giddy as a school girl. ;D we moved into the feild in front of the house and the 1st target I dig is this sadly broken yet ABSOLUTELY AWESOME 1829 BUST HALF DIME! i frantically searched the hole and found another peice of the coin (still one missing however) But i was extremely happy with my first half dime! All in all it was a great day and we both had some excellent recoveries and i cant wait to hit it again! Mike good times my friend, good times!
HH
James

Attachments

• P1060572.jpg
    P1060572.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,355
  • P1060573.jpg
    P1060573.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,355
  • P1060581.jpg
    P1060581.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,350
  • P1060575.jpg
    P1060575.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,345
  • P1060577.jpg
    P1060577.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,351
  • P1060578.jpg
    P1060578.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,337
  • P1060579.jpg
    P1060579.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,340
  • P1060580.jpg
    P1060580.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,328
  • P1060582.jpg
    P1060582.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,328
  • DSC00011.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,306
  • DSC00012.JPG
    DSC00012.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,308
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamesbibb

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Awesome Colonial hunt with fellow Tnet member! Buttons-Coppers-Bust Silver-Gold!

;D

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Awesome Colonial hunt with fellow Tnet member! Buttons-Coppers-Bust Silver-Gold!

Nothing wrong with those digs. Wonder what made the half dime break like that? :dontknow:

OP
OP
jamesbibb

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

mainer said:
Nothing wrong with those digs. Wonder what made the half dime break like that? :dontknow:

I dont know either but it is very sad! :(

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow, sounds like a Great day swinging.

congrats to both of ya on all the Great finds.

Bill

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd take a day like that right now!....great finds...yeah Mike is a great guy too... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
jamesbibb

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

The Patriot said:
I'd take a day like that right now!....great finds...yeah Mike is a great guy too... :icon_thumright:

Without a doubt! Thanks!

U

umrgolf

great day out James :thumbsup: dang shame about that 5c coin :icon_scratch: thats a very odd break :dontknow: maybe it was bent at one time and the bend finally gave way and broke.. oh well, it's still a Bust Silver :headbang: :headbang:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome job James! Congrats on the oldies and that GOLD. :hello2:
-MM-

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you sure that half dime isn't a lead counterfeit? I have several, and all the cft.'s look like yours. Incidently I have an 1829 CFT. half dollar. Clean it a bit and you will see. You're not going to hurt it any. ;D

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

"At about this time I was as giddy as a school girl" :laughing9:

That's funny James.

Thanks again for having me out man. You kicked my tail on those flats. (and everything else!) I see I have some getting used to on the hot soil you all have here. You are one heck of a fine detectorist buddy. What do you say, next week we try again?

That 5c piece IMO is definitely silver. Great finds. I'll post my pics tomorrow.

Mike

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jamesbibb said:
Met up with Mike (Woodland Detectors) for a hunt at one of my earlier sites. Gotta say Mike is an awesome guy! We had a blast recovering some prime early American relics. It was a perfect day of detecting in Central Va! The day started off with a 1889 V nickel, then mike got into a patch of nice flat buttons on the high ridge where the house sat. WHile working out the ridge I got a great 81-82 on the DFX and wouldnt you know at about 7 inches of Red dirt was a Draped Bust Copper. A few minutes later I got a 79 shallow reading (2") and out pops another copper!(In bad shape but it is a classic head design) The very next target at about 6" pops out a mens 14k band! :tongue3: At about this time I was as giddy as a school girl. ;D we moved into the feild in front of the house and the 1st target I dig is this sadly broken yet ABSOLUTELY AWESOME 1829 BUST HALF DIME! i frantically searched the hole and found another peice of the coin (still one missing however) But i was extremely happy with my first half dime! All in all it was a great day and we both had some excellent recoveries and i cant wait to hit it again! Mike good times my friend, good times!
HH
James

Well sounds like y'all had a good time! Mike was originally suppose to come down and dig with me this weekend until we realized it was a 5 HOUR DRIVE for him :o! It was alittle too far for him this time. I'm glad he was able to get out with you and dig some nice keepers. Congrats to you guys! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :wink:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great hunt, good job !! :o :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

awesome you guys! my colonial hunt this weekend wasnt to be no one was home at the 1720 house.but you guys sure had a nice one. ;D willy

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

{Sentinel} said:
jamesbibb said:
HH
James

Well sounds like y'all had a good time! Mike was originally suppose to come down and dig with me this weekend until we realized it was a 5 HOUR DRIVE for him :o! It was alittle too far for him this time. I'm glad he was able to get out with you and dig some nice keepers. Congrats to you guys! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :wink:
Thanks Josh, we will all have to hook up this spring some time.

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Looks like you had a great hunt,Glad you guys were able to get out this weekend before the rain hit the area.

OP
OP
jamesbibb

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

umrgolf said:
great day out James :thumbsup: dang shame about that 5c coin :icon_scratch: thats a very odd break :dontknow: maybe it was bent at one time and the bend finally gave way and broke.. oh well, it's still a Bust Silver :headbang: :headbang:

Thanks Jeff! Ive been looking for that 1/2 dime for a long time! We had a great time! Hope to see ya soon man!

OP
OP
jamesbibb

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Awesome job James! Congrats on the oldies and that GOLD. :hello2:
-MM-

ThANKS BRO!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread