Great hunt turns out to have been even better after cleaning the buttons...

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Last Sunday (3/13/11), my hunting buddy Ron had me along at an all day hunt at his spot. I hadn't dug much for the first few hours. Then, in a spot that had been cleared of trees, a Type 1 cleaner surfaced. Only a few feet away, a coat button showed up. Now I'm swinging more slowly and digging every questionable signal. Then I get a perfect +35 Button reading on my MXT and I carefully removed the dirt. It was a Navy button of a type I'd never dug before, and even through the dirt some gold was evident. Not long after that I pulled out another coat button that was about 8 inches down. I dug a cuff button that hadn't sounded promising- it was barely above a foil reading. Most of my hunt was spent in this strip of drying mud. Nearby, I recovered some shoulder scales, a partially melted bullet, and a bullet with some skin still attached. We eventually moved to another area and I dug a cavalry carbine sling hook and poker chip button, something I've always wanted to find.

As I was cleaning the cuff button at home, it appeared that there was a letter in the eagle's shield. Looking closely, I realized it's a "D"! I'd never dug a Dragoon button before, so that was quite exciting. Then as I was cleaning that first coat button that was dug, a "D" popped out at me! Unreal! Thanks again Ron, it was a beautiful day outside to dig some history!

HH,
Jason

Attachments

• 3-13-11 Finds 004.jpg
    3-13-11 Finds 004.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 279
  • 3-13-11 Finds 017.jpg
    3-13-11 Finds 017.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 277
  • 3-13-11 buttons 003.jpg
    3-13-11 buttons 003.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 274
  • 3-13-11 buttons 007.jpg
    3-13-11 buttons 007.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 292
Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

I believe you are the guy who Id'ed that hotel on the spoon handle piece right? :thumbsup:

Congrats on some nice buttons.. that Navy type you dug usually comes out with a lot of gold and yours looks great! Congrats on two D's, those don't turn up often around there :headbang:

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
umrgolf said:
I believe you are the guy who Id'ed that hotel on the spoon handle piece right? :thumbsup:

Congrats on some nice buttons.. that Navy type you dug usually comes out with a lot of gold and yours looks great! Congrats on two D's, those don't turn up often around there :headbang:

That was me! Man, that was such a cool artifact of local history. I'd love to find something identified as being from Jarratt's Hotel or any of the Petersburg/Richmond hotels. That was a great find.

Thanks bud, the Navy has more gold than any intact button I've dug so far. The Dragoons were totally unexpected!

U

umrgolf

Jason H. said:
umrgolf said:

That was me! Man, that was such a cool artifact of local history. I'd love to find something identified as being from Jarratt's Hotel or any of the Petersburg/Richmond hotels. That was a great find.

Thanks bud, the Navy has more gold than any intact button I've dug so far. The Dragoons were totally unexpected!

That's the way this hobby works.. Dug my only D button the same day as my only eagle R button :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions