Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My work let us out at noon today, so I decided to take the detector over to an area across from the Boy's Club. This area is really large with a football field, tennis courts, 3 baseball diamonds etc... - all of these are in average condition and from what I could discover, they've all been used for 30-50 years.

I started in the small sandy playground area and promptly started finding lots of clad. Once I cleared that area, I moved outside the play area to around the perimeter where some benches were. At that point I was out of the sand and although I hated to do it, I had to bump up the discrimination - there was just so darn much junk around I would have been digging targets ever 12 inches otherwise. I was trying hard to still find nickels so the possibility would be there for me to find gold and as I moved to one side of a bench I got a reasonably good middle tone signal and dug a buffalo nickel (date was totally worn off). Not 2 feet from there I pulled up another buffalo (again no recognizable date). I hunted that area thoroughly and started moving towards the delapidated bleachers and continued to dig targets quite often.

Without going into more detail, in 2 hours, I pulled up 55 memorial pennies, 5 Jefferson nickels, 2 buffalo nickels, 14 clad dimes, 14 clad quarters and 1 Sacagawea dollar. I was totally exhausted by then due to the 90 degree + day and since I had started right around 11:30am.

Here are the oddities:

1. How could I have found 2 buffalo nickels without finding a single silver coin or even a wheat penny?

2. How in the world did someone lose a Sacagawea dollar coin (does anyone still even carry those?)

3. In one area I came across what looked very much like someone elses "diggings" - it looked like they had used a small shovel and left good size holes which I did my best to fill in - the funny thing is that in at least 2 of those spots, I uncovered coins right next to their holes and many more coins in the area - there were a dozen or so of those obvious "dig" holes - all I can think of is that someone didn't really know how to use their detector, got impatient trying to pinpoint and dig targets and left.

I barely scratched the surface of the area there to hunt - I didn't touch any of the baseball field and only spent time around a small area of the football field. I HAVE to believe there are alot more things to find there and the buffalo nickels have me convinced that there IS silver there somewhere!!

Tomorrow it's off to the beach early in the morning to hunt then to relax along the shoreline for a few hours with the wife. I need to spy on where the majority of people congregate so I can head back there super early the morning of July 5th to see if I can't find a ring or two.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the lack of pictures - other than the 2 buffalo's with no dates, you've seen all the rest in your pockets.

Oh - I'm ashamed to say this, but I actually got a little sick of digging up clad when it started getting hot :P

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....it's hard to lose one.....but usually they're lost by kids

HH
-GC

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's CF.....Actually found my first SAC at the playground...Go figure...Nice find's and good luck!!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer your question about finding two buffalos and no wheats / silver... well that's rather easy to answer.... Most people just don't dig the nickel / pulltab signals. I generally only dig the penny, dime, quarter signals at parks... Why? because there is WAY too much trash there, and when you do dig a buffalo, v nickel, etc., they are always way beyond repair and have no real numismatic value. The only value there is is when you can say to others... Yeah, I pulled out two buffalo nickels over there once....

Just my 2 cents on it...

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Great finds. I would love to find a buffalo nickle even without any silver. You got sick of finding clad??? No! I dont believe it. Tell me your not saying finding money on the ground makes you sick? Lol... ; :P

-CC

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
To answer your question about finding two buffalos and no wheats / silver... well that's rather easy to answer.... Most people just don't dig the nickel / pulltab signals. I generally only dig the penny, dime, quarter signals at parks... Why? because there is WAY too much trash there, and when you do dig a buffalo, v nickel, etc., they are always way beyond repair and have no real numismatic value. The only value there is is when you can say to others... Yeah, I pulled out two buffalo nickels over there once....

Just my 2 cents on it...

What you said makes alot of sense except that I was finding lots and lots of pennies, dimes and quarters too. I was just really surprised not to run across any silver - I'm absolutely positive it has to be there and trust me, I'm going back soon :).

Your comment about too much junk and garbage is certainly right on target too - I hate to have too much discrimination on, but there just isn't any choice sometimes and I guess I just have to resign myself to knowing that I may miss out on any gold if it happens to be there with the upside being I don't waste so much time digging junk.

I'll take pictures next time and post them.

Thanks everyone for the replies

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when they were first released I found a couple.

Obviously Lost by Kids who Received them from Parents.

Congrats on the cool find

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
My daughter dug a Sac dollar right outside the back door last week. I have no idea how it got there.

They are still to be found.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread