Heartstopper

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
First time out swingin this year.The snows gone, the ground's finally thawed and it got up to 60 degrees here in eastern Ohio today. Spent some time in the woods around an old one room schoolhouse site and came up with a few neat relics. When i saw that change purse come out of the dirt i was hoping there would be at least an Indian head with it or somewhere around it. I pounded the area but no coins. A beauty day to be out,thanks for havin a look! HH Jerry

Attachments

• purse in ground.JPG
    purse in ground.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,383
  • purse over view.JPG
    purse over view.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,385
  • purse both sides.JPG
    purse both sides.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,384
  • purse close.JPG
    purse close.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,370
  • 100_2031.JPG
    100_2031.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 334
Upvote 0

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jerry, that purse is AWESOME! Congratulations on that find! Would love to know how old it is. Hogge

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Awesome purse, really a neat find. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Intodeep

Mar 14, 2011
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350, Wilson Neuman Daytona
Very cool finds.... keep hitting that spot, it's bound to give up the coins.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Where have you been Jerry, we've missed your posts.
Cool change purse :thumbsup:, sorry there was no change in it.

HB

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
hogge said:
Hey Jerry, that purse is AWESOME! Congratulations on that find! Would love to know how old it is. Hogge
I know from an old map that the schoolhouse was standing in 1856,have found lots of Indian heads,Barber and seated dimes and a couple large cents at this site but with the weeds still down from all the snow i'm able to get in to some fresh ground that's impossible to hunt during the summer

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ooooOoooo! Change in it or not, it's still a super find, Jerry! :o Glad yer snow is finally gone! :hello:

Nana :)

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
I've seen those types of purses in mid Victorian right into the 30's, but yours definitely looks to be 19th century. Maybe you can get manufacturing info off it. Either way, the area looks like a good one to search since it does have some old artifacts to find! Maybe the change was dropped in a location not too far from the purse?

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
hi jerry in ohio this is jerry in vt. cool coin pouch to bad no coins would of had me thinking too were,s the loot great spot hope you find more

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn Jerry, I also found one like that years ago, but also nothing there or in the immediate area. I suspected at the time that mine was from around 1890s, based on other finds.

Don

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Hey Jerry!
Great to see you getting out! Great Digs!

First time out this year and you find a coin purse? Yeah, I can see that causing some gasping noises, and maybe even some vapor lock.

We stil have spotty snow up here. I got out some this weekend, but ground still partially frozen. (a '37 Merc was all) Now I see that we are looking at a possibly a foot of snow on Tuesday night!

Maybe I should move to Ohio.

Wishing you all the best,
Mark

OP
OP
Ohio Jerry

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
hogge said:
Thanks Hogge,near as i can figure its from the mid to late 1800's based on the history of the schoolhouse
mpostma said:
Hey Jerry!
Great to see you getting out! Great Digs!

First time out this year and you find a coin purse? Yeah, I can see that causing some gasping noises, and maybe even some vapor lock.

We stil have spotty snow up here. I got out some this weekend, but ground still partially frozen. (a '37 Merc was all) Now I see that we are looking at a possibly a foot of snow on Tuesday night!

Maybe I should move to Ohio.

Wishing you all the best,
Mark
[size=13pt]Yeah there was some gasping going on,couldn't wait to swing over that hole again but... :( another foot of snow!!you can always move here and become a Ohio State fan ;D

Don in SJ said:
Darn Jerry, I also found one like that years ago, but also nothing there or in the immediate area. I suspected at the time that mine was from around 1890s, based on other finds.

Don
[size=13pt]My brother found one full of old coins years ago so i was thinking this might be the find of a lifetime lol

teleman 2525 said:
hi jerry in ohio this is jerry in vt. cool coin pouch to bad no coins would of had me thinking too were,s the loot great spot hope you find more
Thanks Jerry!!!

DMN said:
I've seen those types of purses in mid Victorian right into the 30's, but yours definitely looks to be 19th century. Maybe you can get manufacturing info off it. Either way, the area looks like a good one to search since it does have some old artifacts to find! Maybe the change was dropped in a location not too far from the purse?
Thanks i'll have to take a closer look for a manufacturers mark

steelheadwill said:
Cool Purse !
I pulled one like that out of a stone wall, no coins in mine either ::)
Thanks steelheadwill!

Nana40 said:
ooooOoooo! Change in it or not, it's still a super find, Jerry! :o Glad yer snow is finally gone! :hello:

Nana :)
Thanks Nana,good to hear from ya!!!

ihavetone said:
I would love to find an old school house to hunt .. great find keep at it.
If you pm me i can give you some tips on finding old schoolhouse sites

cntrydncr1 said:
nice relic!! amazing that there were no coins.
Thanks!!!!

artzstuff1 said:
Nice finds for sure!!!!,,,,to bad it was not stuffed full of trade dollars or something like that. Great recovery!!!!!! :headbang:

Wayne County
Il.
Thanks,i would have been thrilled with just a couple of Indian Heads :-))

HILL BILLY said:
Where have you been Jerry, we've missed your posts.
Cool change purse :thumbsup:, sorry there was no change in it.

HB
Thanks HB !! I've been around,but it's been a long winter!!

Intodeep said:
Very cool finds.... keep hitting that spot, it's bound to give up the coins.
[size=13pt]Thanks,it's given up quite a few Indian heads and Barber dimes over the years

traverdog said:
I guess that purse would make your heart skip a beat!!!
LOL it skipped several beats i think! :D

Charlene said:
Awesome purse, really a neat find. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Thanks Charlene!!

BARGuy said:
Keep at that site...There's more there!

DR
I'll be going back soon

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread