Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this cannon ball at the site of an old abandoned town here in North Carolina. The town was a county seat until the very early 1800's. The court house moved on and the down died.

It was about 16" down in the ground. I scaled the loose rust off, coated it with Naval Jelly and a spray coating of clear matt acrylic varnish.

It measures 2" across and weighs 18.5 oz. Roughly the size of a 1 lb. cannon ball. It could have been slightly larger in diameter and slightly heavier and the size and weight reduced by corrosion and rust.

It was examined a few days ago by NC's leading authority on the Revolutionary War in our state. His conclusion is that it looks to be a ball that would fit a swivel cannon. General Cornwallace used them during the Revolution and Lord Tryon also had swivel cannon used at the Battle of Alamance prior to the Revolution. Tryon paraded about the country side both before and after the battle. He ruled out it being a large case shot ball from the Civil War.

Attachments

• CIMG2121.jpg
    CIMG2121.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 494
Upvote 0

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
:hello2: So few good iron hits, but you've sure found of of the best ones. Great job, excellent story too.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gotta love the Early Artillery :thumbsup: Nice dig!!!

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Looks like you had a ball! ::) Thats a way cool find. Good luck on your next dig. :headbang:

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HCW said:
very inventive stand.
That is the stand I made in order to spray the acrylic varnish on it and not have a flat spot in one place and to not handle it to get to all sides.

There will be a display stand made as soon as the weather gets warm enough to get into my shop and work.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious The George said:
HCW said:
very inventive stand.
That is the stand I made in order to spray the acrylic varnish on it and not have a flat spot in one place and to not handle it to get to all sides.

There will be a display stand made as soon as the weather gets warm enough to get into my shop and work.

Great find there, alway nice seeing those suckers come out...nice idea on the stand to spray it... thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread