Civil War Buckle I believe

daddyflea

Greenie
Mar 18, 2011
I am new to this Forum but not so new to Metal detecting. I emailed ModernMiner and asked him about an Object in his Avatar. He requested that I post it, so here it is.

030511A.jpg

I thought this may be an old Civil War belt Buckle but I was not sure. I found this in a Vacant lot near an old House here in Riesel TX. I knew it was old because I found an Indian Head Penny near it. The lot is no longer Vacant and new Duplexes have been built on it. One problem I had was the designation of "US". This is the central part of Texas and I am guessing this was a Union Buckle.

The next object is an old token for a Loaf of Bread I found near an old Parsonage.

030511E.jpg

This Object is something off a Studebaker Car, possibly the center portion of the Steering wheel.

030511D.jpg

This is an 1878 Silver dollar that I found years ago.

030511C.jpg

This is a Medallion from a Goldstein Miguel's Store in Waco. This store was leveled by a Tornado about the year I was born or the middle 50s. This was found in my Front Yard of all places.

030511B.jpg

This last picture is my Display Case that my Wife rearranged and now the Coins will not stay put. I have a bunch of Mercury Dimes with the oldest a 1917.

030511F.jpg

Upvote 0

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy daddyflea and welcome to t-net! I take it your from somewhere around Waco?

I am not an expert on CW items but I do believe that is a period piece.

Nice display. :thumbsup:

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and nice display. Looks like a US tongue to me.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to t-net. Nice bunch of relics. Sure looks to be a Union buckle minus the wreath. Nice finds all the way around.
Take care!
TnMtns

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep....US tounge alright.Nice save :thumbsup:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daddy,
Welcome to Tnet. :thumbsup: I'm glad you not only posted that "US" buckle tongue, but also your other great finds.
FANTASTIC group of finds there. We're looking forward to seeing more posts in the future.
Congrats on the "US" buckle!!! :hello2:
-MM-

OP
OP
D

daddyflea

Greenie
Mar 18, 2011
Thanks for the look. One person made the suggestion it may be from the Spanish American War due to the US stamp.

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Welcome to Tnet, and what an awesome find to start your posting with. Fantastic, drooling :thumbsup: I look forward to hearing and seeing more from you soon. Keep up the swing and Happy Hunting.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The US tongue is a nice find but I don't believe it is from the Civil War, I think it is later.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great variety of finds, Daddy! 8) Welcome to Tnet. :hello:

Nana

OP
OP
D

daddyflea

Greenie
Mar 18, 2011
Steve in PA said:
The US tongue is a nice find but I don't believe it is from the Civil War, I think it is later.

I think you are right. The Spanish American War makes more sense due to the place it was found.

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Daddyflea~ Welcome to T-Net. Nice finds. You should post here more often. We always enjoy seeing good finds.

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds! Looks like CW sword buckle to me but I am not an expert. Welcome to TN :hello:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
daddyflea said:
Steve in PA said:

I think you are right. The Spanish American War makes more sense due to the place it was found.

I think Steve may have nailed it. Here's two here:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://pmimages.worthpoint.com/thumbnails2/1/0708/28/1_18f033d2ec8451dc09a66f066ccab9df.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/spanish-american-span-am-war-u-s-2-piece-belt&usg=__NWX9HRt2VXHiuKI-EBlez7KaiiI=&h=150&w=150&sz=7&hl=en&start=14&sig2=aiWqAewoCuBQ9BuCQnhzwA&zoom=0&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=EUBae5YG3akBlM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dspanish%2Bamerican%2Bwar%2BUS%2Bbuckle%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=svCQTa2iBuTA0QHojoyzDg

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=en&sa=N&tbs=isch:1&ei=svCQTa2iBuTA0QHojoyzDg

Still a fantastic find Daddy. :hello2:
-MM-

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your display case, very neat buckle. Come back and post again. HH :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread