First time ever out with my detector, April 3, 2011

NatorMVP

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Drum, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV
It was finally warm enough and snow-free so I decided to just go out to a wooded area behind my house for a little fun. I ended up digging up 4 railroad spikes, 2 bullet shell casings, a zipper pull, and a big solid iron cylinder. Overall nothing awesome but it was great for my first time ever using a detector on something other than coins I put out to test with.

I'm unsure of the casings so if anyone could help out, I'm very unfamiliar with shell markings.

One shell has an S,L,5,5 with one marking each at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock.

The other shell has EW at 12 o'clock and 43 at 6 o'clock.

I'm here to learn an appreciate any info anybody has on the shells. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0646.JPG
    IMG_0646.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 389
Upvote 0

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Well ya gotta start somewhere. Thats more than what I can find some days. Hope you enjoyed diggin em up. Lookin forward to seeing more of your diggins. Good luck on your next dig. :headbang:

OP
OP
NatorMVP

NatorMVP

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Drum, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV
Thanks, certainly more than I was expecting to find, since people don't really go back there much. It was pretty exciting the first time I got a tone and dug the first shell case. I hope to do more soon now that the weather is getting much nicer up in northern NY.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
S L --- st louis (ammo plant)-- 5 5 (1955)

EW 43 - 30/06 ammo made in the ammo plant at eau claire wisconsin in 1943 (WW 2) --

(most likely itheir both military "surplus" 30 /06 ammo sold as "war surplus" ammo used for target shooting by civilians )

these types of markings are called "headstamps" amd are used on rifle , pistol and shotgun shell casings

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread