101.1 KB · Views: 939
Upvote 0

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
stargazer66 said:
These are my best finds for April 10,2011. One on the far left is a 1736-1795 Ch'ien Lung T'ung Pao era Chinese coin. One in the center is my first Barber half dollar found and the one on the far right is a Buffalo nickel.
Nice finds! DD

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds.....like the 1907
Barber Half dollar and the Buff.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That barber is awesome, great digs.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice big silver!!! MR TUFF

emesis

Mar 12, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice barber half, in 3 years of detecting the barber half continues to elude me.

wally

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds!!! Congrats :icon_thumright:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I'd freak if I saw big silver in my hole!!! and a barber to boot! congrats and I love the chinese coin too.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Congrats on your 1st Barber half ! :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can make out some of the word "Liberty" on the wreath. If you did not clean that coin it would probably grade in the fine category which makes it worth about $30.00 - $45.00. Uncleaned of course.

Did you clean it or just rinse it off with tap water?

I collect Barber Halfs, Quarters and Dimes, you might call it a fetish in the fact that I have collected an entire book of halfs and am now upgrading the "G"/"VG" coins to Fine and VF++.

That is a sweet coin but it does appear that it has been cleaned at some point, somewhat aggressively IMHO.

Still a great find and one to cherish.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
stargazer66

stargazer66

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/Sunray probe
I always clean my finds with just nothing but tap water. This is a 1907-O and according to PCGS it looks as though it would be in the range of $105 to $200. The reverse is in great condition.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I bet someone 90 or 100 years ago thought, "I'm going to upset some future coin collector by cleaning the crap outa this coin, then I'm going to drop it somewhere."
When you dig a nice old silver coin, never even rinse it off! Just leave all the grit and dirt on it, so when you put it in a 2x2, you can impress other collectors by saying, "See, I never cleaned it, honestly!" Keep in mind, you must impress others with the condition of the coin you have found, or you will forever be put down. End of sarcasm.

I've dug a couple slick barber halves, but yours is real nice, and takes the cake, congrats!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Barber...congrats ! :thumbsup:
H

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stargazer66 said:
I always clean my finds with just nothing but tap water. This is a 1907-O and according to PCGS it looks as though it would be in the range of $105 to $200. The reverse is in great condition.

Great find, I only quoted the 1907. That is a beautiful Barber.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
I bet someone 90 or 100 years ago thought, "I'm going to upset some future coin collector by cleaning the crap outa this coin, then I'm going to drop it somewhere."
When you dig a nice old silver coin, never even rinse it off! Just leave all the grit and dirt on it, so when you put it in a 2x2, you can impress other collectors by saying, "See, I never cleaned it, honestly!" Keep in mind, you must impress others with the condition of the coin you have found, or you will forever be put down. End of sarcasm.

I've dug a couple slick barber halves, but yours is real nice, and takes the cake, congrats!

While your sarcasm isn't close to being funny I believe you missed the point of my post. A cleaned coin may be pretty to look at but it
substantially decreases the numismatic value of the coin. Most Barber halfs have years of accumulated gunk on them, this one came
from the gound and looks spotless. That was my inquiry as to if it was cleaned or not. So in the future please, take your sarcasm elsewhere or totally ignore my posts so you won't have to look at them. <note nothing of sarcasm in my post> and I will do the same.
Good Day......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread