12 Feet Deep and 6 Hours Later......

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Well lets see here....I talked to some other Pit Diggers and they have all said this little sport of Privy Digging is not for the faint of heart and that you have to be a little mental to do this sort of thing. Well we proved that with this "little" dig :o

Started this pit out only about 10 feet from where we dug the Dr. Keeleys Cure for Drunkeness bottle. Don and I were thinking it was only going to be around 6 feet deep or so. Felt a lot of debris while probing but could not reach the bottom with the six foot probe. So we started at around 3pm and started to get the massive roots out of the way. Once we were below that first root line we got into some broken bottles. Mostly beer bottles and the occasional medicines. Everything was broken because we dug about a ton of bricks that were scattered about the pit. Just a bunch of fill material to get through. Got down to about the 6 foot level( 1 Fathom it felt like :tongue3:)...and decided to probe again. We were beginning to wonder whether it would be worth continuing or just cut our losses and fill the pit in. :dontknow:

This is when the "Mental" part comes in and we decided to just probe it again and see if we can feel some glass. Stuck the 6 foot probe down and it did not reach the bottom. Already being 6 feet in we knew we had a fight on our hands, and time (light) was running out. :icon_sunny: Not to be denied( we almost quit on several more occasions as each foot deeper we dug). Still nothing to show other than broken bottles it sure was discouraging. :( But then Don said one more broken bottle and we were filling her in!!

Needless to say he had better pull out a full bottle or we were going home skunked! :'( Well he dug down at the 12 foot plus level and hit the Use Layer :headbang: :headbang: He pulls out a blob beer from Toledo Ohio!! Finally encouragement and adrenaline spiked( Not that the Nutty Bar I ate did any good). We were finally in the zone pulling out a couple blob beers, some crown top beers and a couple of Hutch soda's. Then Don, using the hand rake, basically tongs the killer Cobalt Hutch from Detroit. :thumbsup: It has a bit of chip in front but it was our first cobalt hutch and hopefully not the last. I was in the pit now and pulled out some more beers and then snagged up the Fitzgerald Sour Mash Whiskey. Another first for us. We usually find blank bottles as far as whiskeys are concerned. So this embossed one is cool. Found a few more blank pint whiskeys and a couple of ink wells on the way up from the depths.

I guess we know why we found the Keeleys Cure for Drunkeness :tongue3: These guys were trashed apparently and traveled from Toledo and all points around to toss their bottles into this 12 foot pit. I sent a bunch a pics for you all. Hope you enjoy. It was a blast digging, but we were whipped as it approached 10pm by the time we filled it in. Good thing is, is that there is another pit to do just a few feet away...So the story shall continue....Thanks for looking and be safe out there :thumbsup: jgas

Attachments

• deep6.JPG
    deep6.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,510
  • deep17.JPG
    deep17.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,507
  • deep16.JPG
    deep16.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,505
  • deep15.JPG
    deep15.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 1,508
  • deep14.JPG
    deep14.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,498
  • deep13.JPG
    deep13.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,512
  • deep12.JPG
    deep12.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 1,508
  • deep11.JPG
    deep11.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,519
  • deep10.JPG
    deep10.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,520
  • deep9.JPG
    deep9.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,528
  • deep8.JPG
    deep8.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 1,511
  • deep7.JPG
    deep7.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 1,520
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
More pics...Enjoy jgas

Attachments

• deep23.JPG
    deep23.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,465
  • deep22.JPG
    deep22.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 1,479
  • deep21.JPG
    deep21.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,490
  • deep20.JPG
    deep20.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,506
  • deep19.JPG
    deep19.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 1,495
  • deep18.JPG
    deep18.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,498
  • deep24.JPG
    deep24.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,480

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome glass! :headbang:

Tested

Apr 20, 2007
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX/5900Di Pro
Sweet love the Cobalt Hutch and the inks. Thanks for sharing.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds, well done.... That is the deepest hole I have seen in treasure hunting ;D Where did the skull come from ???

God bless
peter

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the approx. age on the privy? I had to scroll back up to see the skull, where DID that come from? Just a find you forgot to mention?? :laughing9:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody liked their beer I see. That light cobalt hutch is nice!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bottles guys! You guys are awesome. :thumbsup:
-MM-

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I'm always disappointed when I get to the bottom of a privy; one of these days I'd love to meet a 12-footer! Nice!

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never done that.... Looks like fun. Nice work!

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True dedication...not often seen in this hobby at the level here displayed... :notworthy:

I salute you, Sirs!! :wav: :occasion14: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :wav:

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dr. Keeleys Cure for Drunkeness -- like all remedies back then, it probably had alcohol in it! What a hoot.

Great bottle treasures which are well deserved for your deep dedication! :wink:

Born Free

shooter_250

Sep 18, 2010
LOL...Really great bottles, I'm impressed...The whole thing reminded me of burying sandfleas on Parris Island..

God Bless

Lee

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love bottle diggin'. Nice finds guys. :thumbsup:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dedication, Baby!
I got vertigo just staring at the photo of the hole you guys dug!
Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread