Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone :hello:

I've been hunting my neighbours yard, front and back for about two weeks now with some very interesting finds. So far I've found a silver 1907 quarter, a 1940 English Large Cent, 6 pennies dated 1940 & earlier, also a replica British Mercenary Hessian Soldier Button. The fourth picture is the yard I've been hunting for 2 weeks. The last three photo's are of the yard I hunted today where I got scolded!

Yesterday afternoon while I was detecting, my other neighbour two doors over walked over and asked me "what was I looking for in the ground"? I told her, "I was looking for coins, jewelery or anything interesting". She said, "that if I wanted to I could hunt her front yard for coins too"? I thanked her very much and told her that I'd show her anything interesting that I might find. She then jokingly said, "that we could split any coin finds 50/50"! :laughing7:

So this afternoon I headed over to her yard and hunted for about 1.5 hours. I probably dug 20+ holes! Not a whole lot to show for my time except for a lot of trash, which I didn't photograph. I did find a 1938 penny and a 1950 Wheat. I included the 1907 silver quarter I found in the other neighbours yard, since I didn't post it earlier.

I was just about done her yard when she pulls up in her car. She gets out, comes over to me, looks at her lawn and says . . . "I don't think I want you to do this anymore"! I could tell that she was pretty upset about some of the dirt on her grass. I told her that, "I'll be raking the grass after I'm done and that the rain overnight tonight will wash away the dirt, by tomorrow it'll be hard to tell that I was ever here". She just looked at me and said, "don't bother" and walked away.

Has this ever happened to any of you? I think I do a pretty good job of "cleaning up after myself" when I'm detecting! :-\ I even make the effort to put down a drop-cloth when I dig soil out of a hole! This hunting experience left me feeling confused and somewhat angry! >:(

Thanks for letting me rant and happy hunting to everyone!

Dave

Attachments

• May_15_2011 005-crop.jpg
    May_15_2011 005-crop.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,954
  • May_15_2011 007-crop.jpg
    May_15_2011 007-crop.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,955
  • May_15_2011 010.jpg
    May_15_2011 010.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2,954
  • May_15_2011 001.jpg
    May_15_2011 001.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,965
  • May_15_2011 004.jpg
    May_15_2011 004.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 2,960
  • May_15_2011 002.jpg
    May_15_2011 002.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,951
  • May_15_2011 003.jpg
    May_15_2011 003.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,967
Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I wouldn't let it bother you. some people don't realize that a little rain washes away any sign you were there. maybe she had visions of a coin hoard, hard to say
I'd just move on to the next site

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Yard I Did I Used a Cloth to Put the dirt On.

I Got Compliments from The Elderly Couple
at How Carefull I Was, & At the same time
I Felt they were being Sarcastic at me
for being So Carefull :tongue3:

By the way Congrats on The silver :thumbsup:

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had permission granted and then taken away from me also. The guy was watching me out the window and when he saw me recovering quite a few targets, I think he thought I was digging the crown jewels or something and said he would like me to leave. It made me quite angry also...but, it IS his property and his right. Do you put the dirt from the hole on a small towel and then dump it back in the hole? Sorry to hear about your experience.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a small piece of canvas when I yard hunt, and sprinkle a few grass seeds in the hole when I cover it back up.
But, I have had permission granted and then denied. Several days later, the owner was hunting their own yard.

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:

This. Whenever I do a yard I bring a piece of towel to put the dirt on.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sniffer said:
I wouldn't let it bother you. some people don't realize that a little rain washes away any sign you were there. maybe she had visions of a coin hoard, hard to say
I'd just move on to the next site

Thanks Sniffer! I'm trying not to take it too personally, but I understand her point.

Dave

jeff of pa said:

Thanks very much Jeff! :icon_thumright: This is only my second silver coin and it's my oldest so far! I modified my post, as I do use a large piece of tarp for the dirt.

Dave

sekypaleo said:
I had permission granted and then taken away from me also. The guy was watching me out the window and when he saw me recovering quite a few targets, I think he thought I was digging the crown jewels or something and said he would like me to leave. It made me quite angry also...but, it IS his property and his right. Do you put the dirt from the hole on a small towel and then dump it back in the hole? Sorry to hear about your experience.

I get that feeling I'm being watched all the time as well! I do use a tarp to put the dirt on.

Thanks for your response buddy and best of luck to you,
Dave

creskol said:
I use a small piece of canvas when I yard hunt, and sprinkle a few grass seeds in the hole when I cover it back up.
But, I have had permission granted and then denied. Several days later, the owner was hunting their own yard.

Thanks for the great advice creskol! :icon_thumright:
Sorry to hear about your bad experience as well! :laughing7:

Thanks,
Dave

CrazySlasher said:
jeff of pa said:

This is great advice for all metal detectorists! :icon_thumright:

Thanks,
Dave

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice silver dave! sorry to hear about your dilemna.life goes on :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let it bother you my friend, people are weird and some revoke permission for any reason under the sun. From the photos, I'd give you an "A" at covering your holes and keeping the yard looking good. Just move on to the next, I can't tell you how many times people have NASTILY told me NO just for asking to dig, but for every one of those type of people, there 10 more that will tell you to "Go Ahead". But it is VERY FRUSTRATING to get permission and have it taken away. Me and my old diggin' partner UMRGolf got on a VERY NICE property last summer and were diggin' Civil War and War of 1812 Buttons, Barber Halves, quarters, etc. and we were just getting into our rhythm when the "other" owner of the property came over and revoked our permission and sent us on our way. It does make you on'ry, but when one door is closed.... another is opened! :wink:

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
nice silver dave! sorry to hear about your dilemna.life goes on :thumbsup:

Thanks Dave!
Great find on that buckle of yours today man! :icon_thumright:

{Sentinel} said:
Don't let it bother you my friend, people are weird and some revoke permission for any reason under the sun. From the photos, I'd give you an "A" at covering your holes and keeping the yard looking good. Just move on to the next, I can't tell you how many times people have NASTILY told me NO just for asking to dig, but for every one of those type of people, there 10 more that will tell you to "Go Ahead". But it is VERY FRUSTRATING to get permission and have it taken away. Me and my old diggin' partner UMRGolf got on a VERY NICE property last summer and were diggin' Civil War and War of 1812 Buttons, Barber Halves, quarters, etc. and we were just getting into our rhythm when the "other" owner of the property came over and revoked our permission and sent us on our way. It does make you on'ry, but when one door is closed.... another is opened! :wink:

Thanks very much for your words of support Josh, it means a lot. :thumbsup: As you probably already know, I'm pretty new to metal detecting and I take our hobby very seriously. I've adopted my own personal guidelines for how I conduct myself when I'm hunting or asking permission to hunt. I always try to be respectful and courteous when dealing with the public.

I remember this one woman a couple of weeks ago . . . she pulled her car up alongside the demolished church site I was hunting. She then rolled down her window and yelled at me, "do you have a permit for what you're doing there?" Of course I ignored her and just kept on digging. She then yelled, "you're in a churchyard, you have no right to be here!" Well I had just about enough of her so I turned around and yelled back, "the owner of the property gave me his permission personally!" When she heard this she stomped on the gas and peeled out of there! :laughing7:

Is Jeff gettng on any hunts over in Russia these days?
I see him posting quite a lot . . . hope he and his girlfriend are doing well. :icon_thumright:

Thanks again,
Dave

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DesertNuggets said:
Sucks but you've just got to roll with the punches and hunt somewhere else.

I hear you buddy . . . I found nothing good there anyway! :laughing7:

Dave

cellar dweller

Jan 7, 2007
connecticut
Detector(s) used
whites dfx , minelab excal II
Its been said already but I'll add, bring a dinner napkin or rag with you put all dirt on that. also keep plug size to a minimum. and lastly I'll add, in an area where the sod is thin i would rather not dig than leave a bad impression

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
Thanks for sharing. I'm basically new to this great hobby (10 months) and the only yard I have detected is my own. The reason why I have not asked for permission from any of my neighbors and friends has been for keeping in mind the possible legal consequences of finding something really valuable. One possible reason why people grant and then revoke may reside on their expectation that the detectorist will unearth a great treasure in their property and when that doesn't happen, they may regret giving permission. I don't know just thinking. That said, I have heard of folks carrying contracts with them to make an owner sign. I don't know about making things so serious or scary for a neighbor or friend. Splitting goods found sounds funny, but that could easily be an expectation and the reason for granting permission. I know of yet another folk that pays money for allowing him to detect on private property. Again, that could bring legal issues because allowing you to detect does not mean keeping what you found! Is like paying $10 bucks for a roller coaster ride. You paid for the ride, not for the roller coaster. I replied to a folk here the other day about how he closed the deal to detect on private property and the response was that he does not think about that and just had fun while detecting. No doubt that detecting is fun, but you never know what goes in the owner's mind while you are at it. I'd be very careful when it comes to other people's property. Just my 2 wheaties!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Already this year, I've had the police called once, an out of town home owner called, and the next door neighbor curse me out! (not my neighbor, but the neighbor of the yard) I had permission for all 3 yards, yet nosy people find it necessary to call to report. The one who bothered me the most was the neighbor who yelled: What in the H*LL are you doing??? I"m going to call the POLICE!!! You have NO d*mn business digging up this yard . . .yada . . yada . . .yada. I simply walked up to him, and told him I had permission, and that he had better not ever talk to me that way again. My sister and I got in my SUV and left and have never gone back, even thought I had permission. It's just not worth the hassle.

I try to find places where older homesteads were located that do not have close neighbors that are basically secluded, yet places I feel safe. Not very many people are supportive of our hobby. I think they must think we're finding the Hope Diamond or the Star of India and are getting rich, and they're not.

Some things I have found most helpful is to wear a bright safety vest, a name tag, and carry a 'short' shovel. Most by-passers will think you're a hired yard maintenance person when seeing the vest and shovel. Below is a pic of one of my vest & short shovels.

Try not to get discouraged or take what people say to you personally. In my opinion, they need to mind their own business, but generally people don't, so I have to take what they say in stride and ENJOY the hobby.

Breezie

I forgot one other thing. . . .I have 2 pockets: One with rusted nails, pull tabs, and junk. The other pocket is for valuables. Whenever nosy people want to see what I have found, you know which pocket gets shown!

Attachments

• AprilHunt.jpg
    AprilHunt.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2,430

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never. Must be a Canadian thing.

I had one guy who told me with a smug, irritating sneer on his face, that I could detect,
but wasn't allowed to dig ANY holes.
Nothing.
Just detect.
I left, and detected a yard nearby where the owners were kind enough to let me hunt there.
About an hour later, the original guy comes over, he remembers that he lost a set of keys,
(or something important, I honestly don't remember what it was), and would I want to hunt his yard.

I just laughed and laughed.

Carl

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CrazySlasher said:
jeff of pa said:

Except My own yard that is.
In my own I Just kick it shut
& step on it.

Grass still Grows to fast

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Dave,
Just as well, 'Nothing good found there'.
The Grass looks great!
With all the trash finds that go into our pouches, I can understand a degree of suspicion that we're finding dozens of gold & silver coins :laughing7:
I rarely hunt yards, often I will just scan the edges of Conservation area paths & along stone walls in the woods, usually come out with something worthwhile and no prying eyes or nosy neighbors.
Great idea on the Official Outfit Breezie ;D
dig and you shall find :hello:

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
Yeah well...it's an invasive hobby when your doing yards and some people just can't realize that it's not that bad. The dig holes dissapear in a day or two. I worked a yard over yesterday and had a blast... I gave all the finds to the owner who said I could have them, but I insisted that he take them. It was just fun to dig at an old house and make some good discoveries! He was very grateful. HH M

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread