Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found some time to get out the past few days and hunt one of my favorite picnic areas. Having not found too much my first couple times out this season I was determined to find "something" today.

The first decent target I dug was the smaller piece of the bracelet in the photo. Immediately after digging that piece I dug the longer part about 2' away from the first one. I'm certain the "stones" are set in silver but I haven't had a chance to really clean it up 100% yet. As you can see, there are little roses embedded in the bracelet. All unique.

Just after digging the bracelet, I got another signal while backtracking just a couple feet from the same spot and I found what was at the time "a different" coin because It was very dirty and I didn't want to rub it so I just put in the pouch and continued on. When I returned home I lightly rinsed it off with a little liquid handsoap not expecting to see ANY detail whatsoever and Immediately I saw the 1885 at the bottom and thought it was pretty cool that at the very least the date was there. After looking into it further and figuring out that it was an 1885 V nickel.. I was a little bummed. Oh well, I'm just happy to know that there still out there to dig and since this is only my second year of detecting, I can't really complain too much.

Does anyone have any idea how old the bracelet might be? The “stones” feel more like plastic or resin to me. Also, they look much better when they are wet. Is there something to rub on pieces like this to make them “pop”, or I this case.. to make the roses stand out more?

Thanks for looking! -WIT

PIC UPDATE/POST #6

Attachments

• bracelet.1.jpg
    bracelet.1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 775
  • bracelet.2.jpg
    bracelet.2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 773
  • 1885.1.jpg
    1885.1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 774
  • 1885.2.jpg
    1885.2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 766
Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Re: Dug Key Date V nickel: Condition= Sad :(

Don't give up on that nickel yet!

Soak it for 2 days in extra-virgin olive oil. Then rub the surfaces lightly with a dull toothpick. It should come out much better than currently looks.

Coin has a complete date. Even with environmental damage, should be worth a couple hundred at least. But if there are details in the headband, could be worth MUCH more.

Can't help you much with the bracelet. But if they feel like resin, they may be pieces of amber, which are just fossilized resin. Treat it carefully: pretty large pieces for amber.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice V!!!!! about all u can do is tooth brush it and hope there is something left.. MR TUFF

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tuberale said:

Soak it for 2 days in extra-virgin olive oil. Then rub the surfaces lightly with a dull toothpick. It should come out much better than currently looks.

Coin has a complete date. Even with environmental damage, should be worth a couple hundred at least. But if there are details in the headband, could be worth MUCH more.

Can't help you much with the bracelet. But if they feel like resin, they may be pieces of amber, which are just fossilized resin. Treat it carefully: pretty large pieces for amber.

I'll get some olive oil today and give that a try.

I didn't try to clean it any further because I thought I'd lose the date completely. Now if that happens I at least have a couple photos.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

WIT said:
Tuberale said:

I'll get some olive oil today and give that a try.

I didn't try to clean it any further because I thought I'd lose the date completely. Now if that happens I at least have a couple photos.
Unless you use abrasives on the coin, the date should remain at least as clear as it is now. If the toothbrush is soft-bristled, it shouldn't hurt the coin condition much. Above Good condition, most of the key characteristics are in the headband and hair details. Your coin already has damage from being in the ground, so the only place you can go now is up.

Just keep in mind that even in About Good (MS-3) condition, this coin is still worth a lot. Better to be gentle and careful than aggresive in trying to define features. Ultimately the buyer or grading service will determine the condition.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dug Key Date 1885 V nickel: Condition= Sad :(

If you heat up a pin, and apply to an area that won't be seen, and you smell resin, it's amber!
A very small pin.
Great finds!
Carl

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dug Key Date 1885 V nickel: Condition= Sad :(

Well, I bought some virgin olive oil and this is the result of the soak so far. (2 days) At what point am I "done"? I can't really see much more being cleaned on this coin with olive oil. I'm pretty sure that the dark spots would probably break free but I think it may be too far gone to hope for any detail. Suggestions are welcome. - WIT

Attachments

• soaked 1.jpg
    soaked 1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 353
  • soaked 3.jpg
    soaked 3.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 343
  • soaked 2.jpg
    soaked 2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 348

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I can see more detail both ob. & rev. I'd suggest soaking again for a week, then a gentle scrub with a soft-bristle toothbrush and baking soda. Again, this is just what I would do, not what is smart to do.

What is smart would be to soak for another week, and see if an additional toothpick rubbing doesn't loosen more of the crud.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Sorry to add another post, but just thought of something re: bracelet. You may not know what resin is. Resin is the solidified pitch of trees, often from pines. When the pitch dries and hardens, and spends much time under rock and much pressure, it can become amber. So if you use the hot pin treatment, keep in mind it should smell like fresh pitch.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
I can see more detail both ob. & rev. I'd suggest soaking again for a week, then a gentle scrub with a soft-bristle toothbrush and baking soda. Again, this is just what I would do, not what is smart to do.

What is smart would be to soak for another week, and see if an additional toothpick rubbing doesn't loosen more of the crud.

Thanks Tuberale, yes it does look a little better than before so the olive oil definitely did help. I will try soaking it again for a few days longer and see what the results are.

I actually did all the sleaning with a soft bristled toothbrush and never did use a toothpick.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
If your bracelet "stones" are amber, they are reconstituted amber; otherwise the tiny roses couldn't have been encased in them. I have a beautiful necklace of reconstituted amber. Andi

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome key date. It looks like it will clean up with some soaking. I dug an 1885 V about 3 years ago and sold it... I don't know what I was thinking.. It was in very poor shape but that may be the only key date coin I ever dig. :dontknow:
If it does clean up a bit ,it should be a banner find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread