Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Back in the later part of WW II, Sergeant Herbert Schueler from Columbia, Illinois was in the fight for freedom in France near the towns of Nantes and Heric. During the action, he lost at least one of his ID (‘dog’) tags. He was part of the 94th Infantry (think: Battle of the Bulge). He survived the war and never gave a second thought to the loss of that tag; it was replaced as soon as possible.

Skip forward more than 66 years to April 2011. French metal detector enthusiasts, Eric and his buddy Georges, while searching in a vacant field near Heric, France discovered a beat up dog tag and other artifacts. They wanted to return the ID tag to the owner-- or his heirs; posting the image on <treasurenet.com> with an ‘SOS’ for assistance--here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=392637.0

I am aware there is a race against time to give back to the living heroes of WW II, so I took up the challenge. The short story is: After doing the research, I was able to locate the Sergeant--alive (!!)--in a retirement home in Illinois. In early May, at a casual gathering, the tag was returned to Sergeant Schueler. Currently, Georges, Eric and I are coordinating with the Sergeant's daughter and the local American Legion Commander, Bill Wolf, for a formal presentation ceremony on Memorial Day.

To make this an 'over the top' ceremony, Eric and Georges recently travelled to Utah Beach in Normandy, took video and pics--then they bottled beach sand and pebbles which will now be presented to Sergeant Schueler at the ceremony.

At this time, Sergeant Schueler is aware only of the 'formal' presentation (return of) the tag to him; he is unaware of the video, sand, pebbles and the local media being alerted to and ready to witness and video this event—in his honor.

When the presentation video is available, I intend to post it here.
And on Memorial Day, we may wish to pause and give thanks to those who defended freedom and gave their lives so that we can enjoy whatever we'll be doing on that holiday.
Don.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mackaydon

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Michel Sardou is a French Singer bon in 1947. In 1967, his career was really launched, thanks to a censorship: while France left NATO's military command and the Vietnam War caused an anti-American sentiment in France, Michel Sardou launched Les Ricains (The Yanks). This song insists on the duty of gratitude the French owe to the USA for their participation in WW II beginning on the beach at Normandy. Charles de Gaulle didn't like this song and he advised against broadcasting it on the air.
This first video is of Sardou singing the song. The bottom line to the song is that if the Yanks (Americans) had not come to France at Normandy, the French people today would still be under Nazi rule and speaking German. The reference to Georgia in the song refers to a man coming from Georgia to fight the Nazis in France. He didn’t know one Frenchman, but he was willing, and did, sacrifice his life in an effort to free the French (and the rest of the world) of the Nazis.

The second video is a little tough to watch though appropriate for this weekend. The last scene (showing a helmet atop a rifle) is especially poignant. These videos will be shown to Sergeant Schueler—along with others.

Enjoy the holiday on Monday yet remember it was the real heroes (as I’m sure Sgt. Schueler wuold aggree) resting in eternal peace around the world who paid the ultimate price to make the holiday ‘free’.
Well Done, Welcome Back, Sgt. Schueler (and to those of my VN generation).
Don…..

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome and great story from both sides!!!!!!!!!!

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SGT. SCHUELER'S ANCESTORS WILL TELL THIS STORY FOR GENERATIONS.
YOUR GREAT EFFORTS HAVE MADE A MARK ON AMERICAN HISTORY.
A MARK THAT HONORS WHAT YOU HAVE DONE. :read2:

GOD BLESS

bennyg23

Greenie
Jan 6, 2011
North Eastern Arizona
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, Fisher F5
Such an awesome story! Being new to the hobby, I am continuously amazed at the heart that so many of you fellow T/H's show on almost a daily basis. I am honored to count myself among the likes of you. And kudos to you for all the time and effort, I'm sure it will come back ten- fold.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Job well done with perfect timing. Lost and found moment for sure. Great job Don. Art

DirtDigler

Apr 10, 2010
Caroline Co., VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
This is the kind of thing that makes this hobby great! Nice to see history come full circle and to be a part of it. Many of us have the opportunity to make a return like this. My hunting buddy found a brass nameplate from an old lap desk or travel chest, or trunk. It was badly tarnished, but lavishly engraved with a name and location. Having researched the plantation we were hunting, I immediately recognized the name as the man who built the plantation back in 1827. He presented it to the current owner who now keeps it in a place of honor in the mansion. Preserved for posterity, the plate will convey to the next owner and become a tangible part of the history of the home.

Episodes like this offer us a great opportunity to shine a positive light on a hobby that sorely needs good publicity. You were especially thoughtful to involve the local media in this story. That gives lots of viewers and readers the chance to share in this amazing tale. Salutes to you all, especially to Sgt. Schueler!

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to the moderators of TNet Forum for keeping this topic here, where more views will happen.
Great find!!! Great work on returning this invaluable artifact!!! And Don does deserve an award for his
part in helping make the historical moment happen.
We will make our individual ways to many different graveyards across the U.S., place the flowers and flags
in their appropriate places, and then ..... back home, and enjoy b-b-q, or to the streams/rivers and enjoy some
fishing, or into an isolated area and look for a treasure. And we will do all of what we do BECAUSE OF THE
GUYS WHO WENT TO EUROPE, AND/OR THE ORIENT and lost dogtags.....and legs.....and buddies. We owe
that generation far more than we can ever pay.....and what Don has done is a little reimbursement from us, the
receivers of their unselfish actions and bravery.
BRAVO........BRAVO........BRAVO........BRAVO........BRAVO.......BRAVO........BRAVO.......BRAVO........BRAVO......BRAVO......BRAVO.......

OP
OP
Mackaydon

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for the kind words. I was only one cog in this wheel. Without the contributions from Eric, the original finder, Georges (my primary contact and Eric's friend), the American Legion Commander (Wolf), the Sergeant's daughter and First Sergeant Schueler, himself, none of this would have been possible. It was truly an international effort that culminated with 'mission accomplished', appropriately on Memorial Day.
Don...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread