Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Back in the later part of WW II, Sergeant Herbert Schueler from Columbia, Illinois was in the fight for freedom in France near the towns of Nantes and Heric. During the action, he lost at least one of his ID (‘dog’) tags. He was part of the 94th Infantry (think: Battle of the Bulge). He survived the war and never gave a second thought to the loss of that tag; it was replaced as soon as possible.

Skip forward more than 66 years to April 2011. French metal detector enthusiasts, Eric and his buddy Georges, while searching in a vacant field near Heric, France discovered a beat up dog tag and other artifacts. They wanted to return the ID tag to the owner-- or his heirs; posting the image on <treasurenet.com> with an ‘SOS’ for assistance--here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=392637.0

I am aware there is a race against time to give back to the living heroes of WW II, so I took up the challenge. The short story is: After doing the research, I was able to locate the Sergeant--alive (!!)--in a retirement home in Illinois. In early May, at a casual gathering, the tag was returned to Sergeant Schueler. Currently, Georges, Eric and I are coordinating with the Sergeant's daughter and the local American Legion Commander, Bill Wolf, for a formal presentation ceremony on Memorial Day.

To make this an 'over the top' ceremony, Eric and Georges recently travelled to Utah Beach in Normandy, took video and pics--then they bottled beach sand and pebbles which will now be presented to Sergeant Schueler at the ceremony.

At this time, Sergeant Schueler is aware only of the 'formal' presentation (return of) the tag to him; he is unaware of the video, sand, pebbles and the local media being alerted to and ready to witness and video this event—in his honor.

When the presentation video is available, I intend to post it here.
And on Memorial Day, we may wish to pause and give thanks to those who defended freedom and gave their lives so that we can enjoy whatever we'll be doing on that holiday.
Don.....

Upvote 0

RFrady

Jan 16, 2011
Steilacoom, WA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: An awesone way to celebrate a member of the "Greatest Generation". Salute!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That is just awesome! My sincere thanks to you guys for going the extra mile to honor Sgt. Schueler. Can't wait to see the video!

GOOD JOB TO YOU ALL!

dudule44

Greenie
May 6, 2010
NANTES
Detector(s) used
xp adx 250, TESORO BANDIDO
You are the best ! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :wink: :notworthy:
Thank you Don, this crazy adventure would not have been possible without your help, we shall never forget it.

Sergeant Herbert SCHUELER ILLINOIS (USA).

Eric from NANTES (FRANCE).

Georges from NANTES (FRANCE).

Don MACKAY SAN DIEGO (USA)

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vive le résistance Française !!!! :hello2:
H

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks, Great Story, Don!

HH Joe

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Don, That is a beautiful story. It is people like yourself and many others that make this a great sight.
Can't wait to see the video.

Don

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome...God bless You and God Bless Sergeant Schueler!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is deeply touching, and thank you!
Thank you all, for your service! We love ya'll much!

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Don :icon_thumright: You are the research king!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread