Latest Colonial and Civil War Digs

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, got out a couple times in the last week and found a few keepers. There's an assortment of stuff as is the norm for this area. I won't waste too much of your

time as I'm getting finished packing tonight to go to Rhode Island to do some diggin' and fishing with some friends of mine. So without further delay here's the pics, thanks

for looking :icon_thumleft: :wink: :

A NICE SURPRISE

May 25 2011-Minieed.jpg

May 25 2011-Silver Barber.jpg

Funny enough, I found this Civil War Soldier not long after digging a 3 Ringer:

Union Civil War Soldier Figure
MD Pics 1728.jpg

MD Pics 1730.jpg

1909 Barber Quarter
May 25 2011-1909 Barber Quarter.jpg

Carolus III Half-Reale and Double-Shanked Button I thought I had double vision when I pulled this button out, sure enough, two solid shanks on this earlier 1-piece button
May 25 2011-Carolus III Half Realeed.jpg

Gold Cufflink
May 25 2011-Gold Cufflink.jpg

Group Photos:

May 25 2011 Finds (1).jpg

May 25 2011 Finds (2).jpg

May 25 2011 Finds (4).jpg

May 25 2011 Finds (6).jpg

22043_25_05_11_6_38_46.jpeg

AND.....to end the post....a REALLY old "Dog Tax" tag from 1911:
MD Pics 1777ed.jpg

Upvote 0

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Great job!!! :icon_thumright: Congrats on the half reale, sometimes they sound low when they're deep and on edge. Those barbers are beauties as well!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice assortment of recoveries Josh. I like it all but the double shank button is my favorite. I have never seen (much less dug) one. Good luck in RI, Q.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great video and nice finds as usual Josh buddy. I sold a 1912 Black Mountain NC Dog tax tag almost identical to yours for 50.00 bones a while back. It was cut to look like a 12. Yours is cut like an 11 right? Good luck up in R.I. !!!

I'll be meeting Bob in the mornin. Be safe brother

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Nice assortment of recoveries Josh. I like it all but the double shank button is my favorite. I have never seen (much less dug) one. Good luck in RI, Q.

Thanks Quindy, in all my time diggin', I've never found one with 2 shanks either :laughing7: :icon_scratch: Its really cool though and one of my favorites as well.

JW15 said:
Great job!!! :icon_thumright: Congrats on the half reale, sometimes they sound low when they're deep and on edge. Those barbers are beauties as well!

I've dug quite a few over the years and they do sometimes sound like pulltabs but this one was only about 5". I'd dug a couple pulltabs just prior that hit in the same range, that was the main reason that I was expecting it to be another one.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
~

Woodland Detectors said:
Great video and nice finds as usual Josh buddy. I sold a 1912 Black Mountain NC Dog tax tag almost identical to yours for 50.00 bones a while back. It was cut to look like a 12. Yours is cut like an 11 right? Good luck up in R.I. !!!

I'll be meeting Bob in the mornin. Be safe brother

Indeed, its cut like an "11" Mike! What sorta shape was yours in when you sold it? I know many guys collect these and wouldn't have any problem selling it to one of them.

Oh Yeah, well tell Bob I said Hi and good luck to y'all!! Bill has a nice cellar hole waiting so maybe we'll find something worth posting~

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
{Sentinel} said:
VOL1266-X said:

Thanks Quindy, in all my time diggin', I've never found one with 2 shanks either :laughing7: :icon_scratch: Its really cool though and one of my favorites as well.

JW15 said:

I've dug quite a few over the years and they do sometimes sound like pulltabs but this one was only about 5". I'd dug a couple pulltabs just prior that hit in the same range, that was the main reason that I was expecting it to be another one.
I hear ya, nice surprise!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would wish you luck in RI but I don't think you need it. Awesome bunch of saves!

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds Sentinel! Love that double shank button.
On the closeup photo of your Barber quarter-what is the item on the left? It has a seam around it-was thinking musketball before i saw that seam-is it a Zouave button?
My wife's sister and her husband live in Jamestown, RI and I really need to get back up there and do some digging-have fun on your trip.

Palmetto

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice assorted of relics. Congrats on the half reale and the quarter.
Dman

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great hunt! Nothing like pulling Spanish silver out of the ground!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joshmeister,
Excellent recoveries as usual Brotha. :thumbsup: I have never seen a double shank button. :dontknow: That has to be rare. :hello2: I'm loving that CW soldier too. Looks like a Reb got a hold of that poor Yank. :tongue3:
Congrats on some great finds, thanks for the video, and enjoy RI.
-Dug-

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great diggin' Josh.....alway's look forward to your post!! :thumbsup: Have a great time up in RI and best of luck fishing!!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Your double shank is an awesome find ;D
Love the condition of the Barber !
Whoo Hoo! Old Spanish
Great Silver, Button and Relic Hunt :thumbsup:
Have fun on you RI trip!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
Great assortment of finds, Josh :icon_thumleft: Do well in RI :icon_pirat:

Thanks brutha. :wink:

Palmetto said:
Great finds Sentinel! Love that double shank button.
On the closeup photo of your Barber quarter-what is the item on the left? It has a seam around it-was thinking musketball before i saw that seam-is it a Zouave button?
My wife's sister and her husband live in Jamestown, RI and I really need to get back up there and do some digging-have fun on your trip.

Palmetto

Thanks Palmetto :icon_thumleft: :wink: I like that avatar btw, my folks live in S.C. You were actually right the first time, it is a musketball, its just one that was field made and has quite a seam around it.

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what a great great assortment of finds-simply awesome! id vote banner but seems your running out of room to list any more banner finds! lol! what the heck-i gotta give you a vote! what a great hunt! HH to ya and good luck on your future hunts! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs & post Josh, :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: Your double shank button sure looks close to a 17th century circular mount to me the rim around the front is what looks the most like it.And that waffle grid thimble has always turned up at my sites that I find them at.But if the lugs are solder together in the middle then. :dontknow: (I'd say cool button then) :D Hard to tell the size from the pics.But you can see what I'm saying on these two post.The first link has the best shots (top & bottom).The other only has like five or so from 2009.(I put them with the horse stuff cause I didn't know what they were at the time.) :laughing7:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,390586.0.html
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,309207.0.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread