🥇 BANNER 1817 Servant Slave Tag from the Plantation!!

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug this servant slave tag on May 8th at a plantation in South Carolina. The tag was folded over when I dug it, so I had it straightened by a professional. My friend Mark was with me when I dug it and had recovered his own servant tag, an 1811 servant, the week before at this same place.
This 1817 dated tag is an early date for the slave hire badges, since the earliest known date on any tag is the year 1800. The number 67 is the issue sequence for the occupation of servant which the city of Charleston, S.C. issued during that calender year. Thanks for looking!
Keith

Attachments

• 1817servantlafar.jpg
    1817servantlafar.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 11,581
Upvote 3
OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
What a find! I wonder if you can check out early records to see who this servant was...and possibly track down the descendants...although I am not sure if they would be thrilled to be reminded of those days.
In the reference book, "Slave Badges and the Slave Hire System in Charleston, South Carolina, 1783-1865" by Hutchins and Greene on pg.35 it states: ...And the city treasurer shall keep a register of all slaves, for whom he grants badges, together with thier owner's names, and their respective ages and employments; and every badge granted by the treasurer, shall express the number, as well as the specified trade or employment, to be persued by the slave working out for hire'
Today there are no records known to exist of this register. HH Neil!!
cntrydncr1 said:
I'm speechless!!! :hello2: :hello2:
Thank you cntrydncr1!!! & thanks again to the rest of you who replied--I appreciate it!
Keith

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven & Spartan shovels, Grey Ghost headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keith,
That slave tag is a find of a lifetime! Outstanding. :hello2: Congrats on your well deserved BANNER find and I'm sure we'll be seeing that beauty in the Best Finds of 2011 edition next April. :occasion14: :occasion18: :icon_salut:
-Doug-

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
One heck of a find right there. Congrats on the banner. Congrats to the guy who restored it as well. That in itself is amazing! Congrats again on the find of a lifetime :thumbsup: jgas

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thats sweet! what an amazing restoration he did! :thumbsup:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Well earned banner find! Congrats! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o

Great piece of American History :icon_thumleft: congratulations on a Super Find :notworthy: I was wondering were the Slaves buried with there tags, or were they removed :help:

SS

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Silver Searcher said:

Great piece of American History :icon_thumleft: congratulations on a Super Find :notworthy: I was wondering were the Slaves buried with there tags, or were they removed :help:

SS
Thanks and that is a great question. I read in the reference book that the tags were valid only for the calender year marked on them. I do not know the answer as to whether the slave would be buried with his or her tag but I dont know why some could not have been.
Keith

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC Keith said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS
Thanks and that is a great question. I read in the reference book that the tags were valid only for the calender year marked on them. I do not know the answer as to whether the slave would be buried with his or her tag but I dont know why some could not have been.
Keith
Thanks for responding :icon_thumleft: I would have thought to loose one, while in service, might have met with some sort of punishment :-\

But again why would they bury them with the Tag, when they could re-use it :dontknow: it's very interesting, there must have been a lot lost, due to heavy work, the slaves carried out :o

SS

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a super nice tag and it looks great Congrats on the well deserved banner for that one

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
Magnificent recovery. :icon_thumright: That piece got to have high collectible value. Sad, but interesting piece of history :notworthy:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome Historic recovery :hello2:
Outstanding restoration.
Congratulations on the well deserved banner ;D
Great Dig :thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just never know. One may hope he crumpled that into a ball on his day of freedom. Great banner find. With those dates, it is possible that particular slave could have come from the capital of slavery which had sold more slaves than anyone. New York. It was the largest trader in slaves until 1827? It supplied many of the labor growing states for centuries.

http://www.slaveryinnewyork.org/about_exhibit.htm

Congratulations on your historic find.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somehow I missed this post until now even though I saw it on the banner. Excellent find Keith, is this your first? Seems like a lot of the relic hunters in the Charleston area have found multiple tags, I know Bill Hunt has found dozens!

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
Steve in PA said:
Somehow I missed this post until now even though I saw it on the banner. Excellent find Keith, is this your first? Seems like a lot of the relic hunters in the Charleston area have found multiple tags, I know Bill Hunt has found dozens!

Not only that, but they all sell very well!

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER BANNER BANNER. I am just a Charter Member. I don't know if I have the right to vote banner, but I would if I could.

fwcrawford

Jan 7, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50, Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign GT
That tag is in really good shape!!!
Whoever straigthened it out for you did a great job too!!
Congradulations,
Felix

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve in PA said:
Steve I found an 1852 Porter on a group privy dig, this is my second!
Keith

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread