Spanish Crusaders Pendant/medallions twin? same site! Oh my!!!

Glory Boy

Greenie
Jan 10, 2006
PHILIPPINES
Detector(s) used
TESORO, GOLD DEMON

Attachments

• Medallion#2 front.jpg
    Medallion#2 front.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 994
  • Medallion#2 back.jpg
    Medallion#2 back.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 877
  • coin side A.jpg
    coin side A.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 817
  • coin side b.jpg
    coin side b.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 847
Upvote 4

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Re: Spanish Crusader's Pendant/medallion's twin? same site! Oh my!!!

Wow those are some awesome digs! Sorry I cant help you with the coin. Im sure someone on here can though. Keep on swingin! :headbang:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II

1/ What were Spanish crusaders doing in the Phillipines?

2/ 6 feet deep? What detector are you using? :o

OP
OP
Glory Boy

Glory Boy

Greenie
Jan 10, 2006
PHILIPPINES
Detector(s) used
TESORO, GOLD DEMON

15th Century Spanish Crusaders colonized the Philippines. I'm using an old Tesoro "Diablo II" Gold Demon. The first one we got is an iron spearhead, my mystic friend insisted to keep on digging as we found porcelain around the place...

Attachments

• Spear and porcelain.jpg
    Spear and porcelain.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 798

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

Was the string on it when you found it :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Glory Boy

Glory Boy

Greenie
Jan 10, 2006
PHILIPPINES
Detector(s) used
TESORO, GOLD DEMON

No, I'm wearing it now... ;D

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

That Spearhead sure looks interesting :o

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is Fantastic !! two pendants and a spearhead :o first pendant has a biblical Hero and my first name St . Michael the Arc Angel :angel7: dawg

OP
OP
Glory Boy

Glory Boy

Greenie
Jan 10, 2006
PHILIPPINES
Detector(s) used
TESORO, GOLD DEMON

Sure is... It is still sharp, I was wondering why it didn't got much rusted, because, the other iron items we found was heavily rusted, then I noticed that the spearhead had some silver coating on it!!!

saltyshark2002

Mar 31, 2009
Derry, New Hampshire.
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,Fisher F-70,Bounty Hunter 505,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Are you sure its spanish,Roma is Rome italy in Italian

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow that thing looks like it was made yesterday...wait a minute...

OP
OP
Glory Boy

Glory Boy

Greenie
Jan 10, 2006
PHILIPPINES
Detector(s) used
TESORO, GOLD DEMON

really looks new, after brushing it with a strong detergent and soaking it in vinegar. it was very dark maroon when we dug it.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the coin is a arabic coin * the O. is 50 in arabic ---look up arabic numbers --- strangely the coin looks modern --there is also some arabic lettering on the coin which could help ID it as far as what country and when it was made as well.

it is well known --- that the phillipine muslim "moro"'s are believed to be mixed blood decendants of local women and of arabic spice traders that many many years ago used to come to the phillipine islands to trade for / gather spices .

the spanish when they came brought "roman catholic" missionarys (preist from spain, italy and other catholic countries as well )-- the moros who were muslim fought off any attempts to be " force converted" or "enslaved" as they veiwed it / made to "work for the benefiet of the spanish and catholic church coffers " *

the moro's have never been fully subdued (it would require them to be totally wiped out every man /woman and child to do so) -- they have never be subdued not by the spanish , nor the americans when they "ran" the phillipines , nor the japanese when they did --or the local phillipine govt afterwards either and still to this very day -- they violently resent anyone trying to tell them what to do or how to live.

catholic spanish persons like all of those of "roman catholic" faith * would often carry medals of their "guardian saints" upon their person --- even ships were named with "religious" names for holy protection at sea by the spanish --italy even today is a large maker of "religious saint medals" for those of the catholic faith

ROMA is of course ROME * in ITALIAN

that is a odd mixture of items --a arabic coin (muslim faith? ) and 2 roman catholic religious medals? (st michel the archangel)

6 feet down?--could maybe be WW2 items buried by soldiers --or buried with dead soldiers when they died.

the spearhead might have been a "WW2 era" local made weapon --phillipine resistance fighters usecd anything and everything to fight the japanese -- old files could be converted to spearheads quite easily and attached to bamboo shafts . --not the best weapon but if one caught a enemy soldier off guard or in dense jungle one could kill him with it

the pottery can tell a lot "age wize" about the sites usage as far as by who and when .

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry but if that's my Spanish cousins pendant from the 15th C then I'm giving up detecting :laughing7:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

like I said the arabic coin reportly found with it looks fairly modern to me * its a 50 something value amount --

but even if ithe medals are modern ---if its gold say 14 K then it still a great find --since (2) 79 gram medals at 14 K would be worth a lot of cash .( roughly $3,000 or so) --not saying their old just "interesting" finds

with modern era looking arabic coins * I'm thinking troops during WWW2 that had formerly been in the middle east / africa area and came to the phillipines in 1944 , 6 feet deep = buried dead -- 2 catholic's coin was a sovie of "past action" in the middle east say 1942. or so

the spear point could be a local native type hunting weapon to get food -- bullets were too rare to use and gunfire draws unwanted "japanese" attention

wild azz guess

OP
OP
Glory Boy

Glory Boy

Greenie
Jan 10, 2006
PHILIPPINES
Detector(s) used
TESORO, GOLD DEMON

Thank you very much to all of you guys for watching and very informative replies! I'll be away for a little while, back to our digging site which already now looks like a small open pit mine site... we found another artifact which left me really speechless... :o :o :o

I'll post it later after cleaning.

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Glory Boy said:
Thank you very much to all of you guys for watching and very informative replies! I'll be away for a little while, back to our digging site which already now looks like a small open pit mine site... we found another artifact which left me really speechless... :o :o :o

I'll post it later after cleaning.

How about you share some photo's of the find PRIOR to cleaning! ;D

Tobias

Greenie
Mar 1, 2011

It is a brass Anting-Anting amulet and probably fairly modern. They are apparently extremely common in the Phillipines, so I'm a bit surprised you haven't seen them before. Also, blades could be used as AA's, which might explain your spearhead. Although not valuable, they are interesting finds :icon_thumright:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tobias said:
It is a brass Anting-Anting amulet and probably fairly modern. They are apparently extremely common in the Phillipines, so I'm a bit surprised you haven't seen them before. Also, blades could be used as AA's, which might explain your spearhead. Although not valuable, they are interesting finds :icon_thumright:

It appears to be as you have said, without a doubt a Anting-Anting and the identical one is pictured on a couple websites,(search the term, also try the "Image" function also when searching) so have to agree, most likely newer than older, but again, nice to see something different posted, and then learn something new, you can read on a few sites the history and legends behind Anting-Anting amulets...

http://kaliamu.blogspot.com/2010/08/anting-anting.html

marinemike72

May 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excalibur and Soverign

Glory Boy:
Where in the Philippines are you? I will be leaving Friday (along w/my wife, she's Filipino) to go to Mindanao, Iligan and Cagayan De Oro City to be exact......

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread