My First gold coin EVER!!! (25 years of digging)

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been diggin much lately, gas prices are killing me and I've worked out all the close stuff. BUT the county high school just moved to it's big fancy new building, leaving the sport practice fields open. Until now, it's rare these fields are ever empty to go metal detecting! Now everyone's at the new facility and I have a bunch of new fields to hit ;D

Lots more can slaw than expected, but I was digging all the low end IDs for jewelry, first bit was a large necklace marked 14K, lawn mowered into dozens of bits...but it was clearly FAKE. Then I flipped over a plug, saw a nice little pendant, got the camera down for a close up, thinking it was a gold plate religious pendant...at least something to put on cam that wasn't clad...but when I picked it up I got this chill, wow that's heavy for a penny sized pendant. I could see the finely struck details through the dirt...NOT a religious pendant...coin in a bezel.

I rubbed that sucker on the spot, surely GOT to be fake...but it was obviously not fake, such fine details, intense color (it looks like it's "glowing" in the video), not a trace of corrosion...I pretty much lost it on cam.

1982 1/10 oz Krugerrand and the bezel is marked 14k. :headbang: :headbang:

25 years of diggin and my FIRST gold coin EVER. I'm pumped. Had to turn off the detector and go home...not a CHANCE I was going to be able to focus after that.

WARNING: MUCH EXCITED CURSING IN THE VIDEO:

[youtube=425,350]H0s1HNhJcYk[/youtube]

Attachments

• gf2.jpg
    gf2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 6,776
  • gb2.png
    gb2.png
    240.3 KB · Views: 6,849
Upvote 0

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
WOW! GOLD COIN! :o Great find. Still on my wish list. This has to be your best video ever. Oh, and I nominated you for a banner! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :hello2: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:headbang: Now That's what I'm talking about Big Brother :thumbsup:
You The Man!..... :notworthy:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes ,gold coin=banner! Make sure to test that chain also,could be white gold.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
good for you jim!! i took a quarter of a century but im sure it was worth it. willy

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim got it .... congrats! :thumbsup:
Thanks for your videos so much fun. :laughing7:
H

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
G-2! G-2! Geeeeeeeeeeee - twooooooooooooooo I'm thinking I bought the wrong detector! I love to see you dig good stuff but that find ROCKS! Your finds have greatly improved with that detector. Great find Jim, hope your next vid tops this one .

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Language! ;D

Awesome find and ready to wear. Your busted chain is most likely 14k white gold.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats man, sweet video, made me laugh, your a crazy dude!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,
First off, CONGRATS on your BANNER gold coin!!!! :occasion14: :hello2: :thumbsup:
Thanks for that awesome video. It was neat to see you find piece after piece of the necklace.
Don't mind the cussing, I'm just glad you didn't soil yourself. Wouldn't want to see that. :o :laughing9:
WAY TO GO!!!!
-MM-

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on making the banner Jim. That is a well earned coin.

Glad to see you found it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread