My First gold coin EVER!!! (25 years of digging)

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been diggin much lately, gas prices are killing me and I've worked out all the close stuff. BUT the county high school just moved to it's big fancy new building, leaving the sport practice fields open. Until now, it's rare these fields are ever empty to go metal detecting! Now everyone's at the new facility and I have a bunch of new fields to hit ;D

Lots more can slaw than expected, but I was digging all the low end IDs for jewelry, first bit was a large necklace marked 14K, lawn mowered into dozens of bits...but it was clearly FAKE. Then I flipped over a plug, saw a nice little pendant, got the camera down for a close up, thinking it was a gold plate religious pendant...at least something to put on cam that wasn't clad...but when I picked it up I got this chill, wow that's heavy for a penny sized pendant. I could see the finely struck details through the dirt...NOT a religious pendant...coin in a bezel.

I rubbed that sucker on the spot, surely GOT to be fake...but it was obviously not fake, such fine details, intense color (it looks like it's "glowing" in the video), not a trace of corrosion...I pretty much lost it on cam.

1982 1/10 oz Krugerrand and the bezel is marked 14k. :headbang: :headbang:

25 years of diggin and my FIRST gold coin EVER. I'm pumped. Had to turn off the detector and go home...not a CHANCE I was going to be able to focus after that.

WARNING: MUCH EXCITED CURSING IN THE VIDEO:

[youtube=425,350]H0s1HNhJcYk[/youtube]

Attachments

• gf2.jpg
    gf2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 6,775
  • gb2.png
    gb2.png
    240.3 KB · Views: 6,848
Upvote 0
OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Thanks everyone! 1st ever banner!

I had pretty much given up hope of ever finding a gold coin...but after all the years of digging, it was the one thing I longed for.

So now what do I do with myself? ahahahahah get back out there and see if I can find another! Or at least have some fun trying.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BIGTIME CONGRATS on makin the Banner bud!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, a Kroog! That's a no brainer banner. Also, I'm pretty sure you found a gold chain. I don't see any corrosion on it - looks to be some sweet white gold to me. Get it tested, but I think you found double gold there.

Awesome hunt.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
CONGRATS! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Yeah I researched the G2 a lot. The G2 is a great gold machine and I heard it does good with silver too. I finally got the XP Deus for it's compactness but otherwise would have gone with the G2.

A Beauty of a Coin!

HH Joe

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Jim....it took you 25 years but you did it. BANNER!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hilarious and awesome all in one. Once again, your mannerisms have me roflmao! :laughing7: The tenth Kruggerand is awesome and is a well deserved Banner; Congratulations :wink:

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Jim. Awesome find!!!!!

OP
OP
adventureswithjim

adventureswithjim

Mar 12, 2010
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DrJoePrime said:
CONGRATS! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Yeah I researched the G2 a lot. The G2 is a great gold machine and I heard it does good with silver too. I finally got the XP Deus for it's compactness but otherwise would have gone with the G2.

A Beauty of a Coin!

HH Joe

G2 has done exceptionally well on silvers missed by the IDX, even deep silver. One of the reasons I ended up with the G2 was because I knew people who could tell me about the machine. I wanted a box that was hotter on gold and of all the choices I knew about (and could afford), this tector had the best reviews from friends. Not scientific, of course, but makes the transition so much easier with support of people who know how to use it. Not disappointed for sure ;D ;D ;D

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold
Yeah Jim!! Way to go on the banner and super congrats on the gold coin! :headbang:

dirtyhands

Greenie
May 15, 2011
South East PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Minelab Equinox 600
Tesoro Vaquero
Nice Video. I laughed, I cried, I even passed out and woke up hours later.

Nice find mate! :blob8:

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, great video. Congrats on banner.

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas