Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this rare North Carolina button detecting a previously well hunted Union campsite in Beaufort, South Carolina.It must have been a union soldiers souvenier he probably cut from a dead NC officer's coat. The union troops in the camp I was hunting in Beaufort were relocated to South Carolina after the large battle and the unions victory around Fort Fisher in NC. The button is one of rarer North Carolina buttons and was worn by a high ranking NC officer, and is seldom seen dug, even In Virginia.After I found it and showed it around a longtime relic hunter of 40 yrs in Virginia contacted me and told me just how rare it was. He said he'd hunted in large North Carolina camps in Fredericksburg Va back in the 60's and 70's before they got built over. He and his buddies dug hundreds of NC buttons but he never found one like this. In fact he'd only seen maybe two in all the yrs of digging around those large camps in Virginia and he said I was a lucky relic hunter to find one. I saw a nondug one like this listed on a dealers website for 2250.00 :laughing7:. So yeah I think it's a good one . Hope you enjoy the pics!

LP

Attachments

• sand1.jpg
    sand1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 801
  • sandback.jpg
    sandback.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 803
  • sandnc.jpg
    sandnc.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 806
Upvote 0

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...that is in great shape. Congrats. You would have to drag me from that site.

NJ

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!!!
Bunker

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice , but it's a highly unlikely theory that a soldier in combat " blue or gray " would loot the dead for souvenir buttons :( dawg

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Your soil is pretty forgiving. That is a pretty button.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's as good as it gets with a backmark that's as good as it gets. That button speaks for itself.

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
Nice , but it's a highly unlikely theory that a soldier in combat " blue or gray " would loot the dead for souvenir buttons :( dawg
Actually it was quite common practice .for that to be done. Numerous Yankees brought home souveneers from the battles...it is well documented. I dug a CS officers button in a Union campsite that was used after a small battle. Years later I found a diary from a Union soldier in that regiment who wrote how his friend brought a captured CS Lt. into camp and they relieved him of the buttons from his jacket. It is the button in my avatar.

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really surprised I haven't seen yet a vote for banner...come on peeps...this is one RARE button....a relic hunter like myself's DREAM.
AWesome find as always from you.
BANNER...BANNER..BANNER

I am green with envy :notworthy:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man oh man, what I wouldn't give for sandy soil like that! Great find, gotta be on the banner! :icon_thumright:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sekypaleo said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
Actually it was quite common practice .for that to be done. Numerous Yankees brought home souveneers from the battles...it is well documented. I dug a CS officers button in a Union campsite that was used after a small battle. Years later I found a diary from a Union soldier in that regiment who wrote how his friend brought a captured CS Lt. into camp and they relieved him of the buttons from his jacket. It is the button in my avatar.
:icon_scratch: no intent to distract from what a Great Find this is , but sekypaleo like you state , captured, " still alive " and relieved of the souvenir . : Back to your find , it is Awesome

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:icon_thumleft:
A button like that would make my year! Its banner material for sure and the condition is outstanding! WTG Pete!

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your stuff always looks so nice. I wish the soil up here was that nice. Good find :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread