Estate box gives up 1842 land deed signed by GA Governor

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
The BIG $30.00 box I got at auction continues to surprise. I found in a manilla envelope today (mixed in with a bunch of HS diplomas from the 30's and 40's) this land deed from 1842 signed by former Georgia Governor Charles James McDonald. The Seal of The State of Georgia is attached with a pink ribbon at the bottom. I have no Idea what sort of material the seal is made from.

Not sure if it's worth anything, but still a pretty cool piece of Georgia History.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_James_McDonald

doc_front.jpg

doc_back.jpg

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
So does Early County still exist, or has it been changed around and renamed? Interesting that the "plat map" is included on the deed. Would be interesting if you could locate this property. Does it have the section, township and range coordinates ? That may be more of a western thing.

I have an abstract from my wife's grandfather's house---Starts with France to USA, then to Jay Gould (president of Union Pacific RR, who also tried to corner the gold market), to Union Colony that was inspired by Horace Greeley (and namesake of the town) and eventually to P. T. Barnum who lost it to tax sale after his Museum in Conn. burned down.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think this document's very interesting! :o

In the right auction and to the right buyer, it could be worth some money! :thumbsup:

Nice find hombre_de_plata_flaco! :notworthy:

Dave

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool piece, normally the seals are Lead :icon_thumright:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Nice deed. When you have time, I suggest you go to that location. If it hasn't been covered by asphalt or high-rise hotels, try for permission to dig. To me, this deed beckons you and your metal detector toward adventure! And yes, my daydreams are full of such scenarios for my own hunts, though I do library, old-timer and web research also. Happy Hunting! Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread