RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunting in fields, Dirt piles 6/18 *BROKE INTO THE 1600'S!!!!* *PICTURES ADDED!*

So today my cousins, Bob and Norma, and I, went out to some local fields in a town that dates back to ~1653 and while Bob and I metal detected, Norma hunted for Indian Artifacts. We got there at about 3:20, and we all started in the dirt piles. Dirt is always being dumped next to this one barn, and we always find stuff in them. We had checked the new piles from the 1780's home yesterday and found a lot of stuff on top of the piles, including pottery, crockery, glass, and three bottle tops from the 18th c. While detecting I found a button from 1974 and some trash items. So today we had the intention of sifting/digging through the piles, and we did that. But that will come later. We pulled up to park near the piles, and from the truck, i can see a nice fat bottle top. Once the truck stopped, I bolted out, jumped on the pile, and snatched it up. At this point I knew it was going to be a good day. After 10 minutes Norma went off to a plateau known for its yeilding of artifacts, which is where I found my first whole artifact. But I do digress. Anyways, It was just Bob and I left. Then I get a nice loud signal at the edge of one of the piles and this gets Bob's attention. It turns out to be a silver dollar sized dandy button, my first whole one, and with an excellent carving at that! And there is a shank which stands straight up. That was the find of the day - so far. So now Bob and I get ready to depart to the fields, and as I scale down one of the taller piles, I'm swinging, and I get a nice, loud signal. So I look over to where the sound was coming from, and I see a large copper sitting on top of the dirt, not at all in said dirt. Now this same exact thing happened to me about a week prior at a field that go back to the 1640's, well almost exact. I was swinging along, and I just happen to look over to my left, and I see a large green circle sitting there, not covered up by the dirt at all. There was some confusion as to whether it was a cartwheel penny, or a Kind George I halfpenny. Based on the bust I have identified it as a KGI HP - not at all bad for my FIRST large copper. Back to today. So I pick up the large copper and I yell to Bob, "I think I got a coin!" He replies back with a "no way!" and he comes over to see it. We rinsed it off in a puddle and at this time I can see the date and the B of BRITTANIA, but I can't quite make out the date. So since I have the 5" sniper coil, I stay behind as Bob goes to the fields because I can maneuver and I have better target separation. So I stay a little bit longer and the last thing I dig there is a small toy teacup with a floral design. So now I head to the fields and meet up with Bob. While ther I dig two more buttons, a whatzit, and then I got a sweet 76/77 signal and I look down and I see a green rim of a penny sticking out of the ground. Since Bob is close by I call him over to watch the unveiling. I flip it over, and, I see the Lincoln Memorial :( So we move on, and don't find anything more in the field. We start to head back to the piles to do some sifting when we get a much appreciated call from Norma sayin that she was bringing Cold Drinks. Raspberry Iced Tea, to be exact. Bob and I are finished with ours by the time we arrive at the piles. As soon as possible we commence sifting. It starts out slow, then Bob and Norma hit a good spot and called me over. Here the pottery kept popping out, since we had found what seemed to be a vein of pottery and glass, including chunks from pontil bottles. So we are merrily digging along, a total of four hours. We're all finding goos stuff. Bob found the base to what would have been a wicked pontil bottle; simply beautiful. Durin this period, I find one more bottle top, many pottery and glass shards, a metal whatzit, etc. B&N have found the same kinds of things, including a very old, tiny pair of scissors. At one point we are digging, and I come across what appears to be a curved piece of pottery. I move some more dirt and find that is a full circle, with thick edges. So I am pulling at it, trying to pry it fromt he ground's clutches, not saying a word, so B&N are unaware. Then suddenly it gives and the next thing I know I am holding a large clay bottle in my hand. Quite surprising. So I yell "Hey look at this!" B&N were pretty dumbfounded by it. We do some more digging, and find more of the same glass and pottery, then we call it a day. So now I am at home, having taking a shower since I was so caked with dirt, I am at the bathroom sink, washing off the coin. I am looking at the date, thinking, "Why doesn't that second digit look like a seven?" Then it sunk in that it was a 6. 1697 was the date. I am simply ecstatic that I made it into the 1600's! So I research the coin and come to the conclusion that it is a 1697 William III halfpenny!I immediately call B&N to share the news, and they are as excited as I am, then I tell my mom who has just entered the house, and she can't believe it. So in a few days I will put it in soe olive oil and let it sit for a few months - to bring out any detail that there is. Any ID on the little cup would be very much appreciated. I will start a new thread to post my pottery finds in.

Thanks for reading,

Anthony

Attachments

• 126.JPG
    126.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 835
  • 128a.jpg
    128a.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,363
  • 135a.jpg
    135a.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 814