30 Minute hunt yields Diamond Ring

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro , Garrett Pro Pointer , Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to go hunting right before it got pitch dark.. came across a nickel signal,, those are always fun,,, most of the time its trash... But this time it was a ring.... With Diamonds!!!! man i hope this thing is real... I used my precious metal test kit on it... rubbed the stone with it and it looked just like gold dust on the stone even tho the ring is silverish...Cant see any marking on the inside of the ring.. still looking. It tested at 18k gold.. i tested silver on it too.. it melted an turned reddish, which usually means sterling silver.. i cant figure this one out.. the diamonds are tiny and the ring has groves all around it,, vertical lines... what do u guys think...

Also ... Where the diamonds are set the inlay is gold colored... Pictures dont really show that.. thoughts?
An that Cap with 63 on it... whats that off of

1000289o.jpg

1000291ed.jpg

1000292z.jpg

1000293c.jpg

1000294wg.jpg

1000297w.jpg

Upvote 0

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any signs of corrosion? i can't tell if that is just silver that needs to be cleaned. my first hunch is silver, but it's hard to tell from the pics. no markings is typically not a good sign....hoping u have something there!

OP
OP
eclipsegt3

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro , Garrett Pro Pointer , Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea there is blackish/brown corrosion on the inside of the ring, a good cleaning got most of it off... Very unusual ring ive never seen anything like it.. Looking at it ,, it seems the outside may be silver and the inside maybe gold.. its just odd... gonna have to take it to a jeweler.. wonder how i can tell if the 3 small diamonds are real

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Putting silver on top of gold seems to be a justapositioning of reality. I hope that isn't cupro-nickel showing through. May the diamonds be real and the gold nearly pure. Wasn't that an old Irish blessing?

Chaps

May 29, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
eclipsegt3 said:
yea there is blackish/brown corrosion on the inside of the ring, a good cleaning got most of it off... Very unusual ring ive never seen anything like it.. Looking at it ,, it seems the outside may be silver and the inside maybe gold.. its just odd... gonna have to take it to a jeweler.. wonder how i can tell if the 3 small diamonds are real

I think that a diamond has to breath as i have been told. So there will be a small hole that goes all the way thru the ring behind each diamond. But not really sure it this is true. If you look at most diamond rings they have holes behind the diamonds.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When In doubt Take it to a Jewelry Shop that Buys Gold And tell them You are Thinking Of selling It !!! They can Test the Gold And Diamonds And Will not Charge you !! HH Chug I do it all the time Then tell them I'm going to try and Get a Better Price!!!! ::) ::) ::) Just remember to Chat with them Look at a few Items they Have !!!! Be Friendly Eventually they Will Figure it Out Then they Will Look Forward to See What You Have Found Lately!!!! This reminds Me It time to go to the Mall and Show them The Newest Find!!!! Red dug this one up after I located it With the detector!!!! 18k 8.4 grams!!!! HH Chug

Attachments

• IMG_1482.JPG
    IMG_1482.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 1,079
OP
OP
eclipsegt3

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chaps said:
eclipsegt3 said:

I think that a diamond has to breath as i have been told. So there will be a small hole that goes all the way thru the ring behind each diamond. But not really sure it this is true. If you look at most diamond rings they have holes behind the diamonds.

there is a place on this inside of the ring where each diamond is set , pic 5 kinda shows it

Chaps

May 29, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
eclipsegt3 said:
Chaps said:
eclipsegt3 said:

Its got my vote for being real and old.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chaps said:
eclipsegt3 said:
Chaps said:
eclipsegt3 said:

Its got my vote for being real and old.

I hope it's real for you bud, but I recently dug a similar ring like that, stamped 18k, but turned out to be "HGE" Heavy Gold Electroplate. Corrosion is usually not a good sign.

Great find nonetheless! Congrats, and here's to hoping it's real. :coffee2:

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
30 minute GOLD :thumbsup:

OP
OP
eclipsegt3

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the ring over my ace 250 again and its giving me the higher end of a pop tab signal... so thats right in line with what gold would be.. not pinging on silver any

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope for your sake its real..Ive never dug a (Good) ring that had corrision thou...And ive dug alot of junk rings that rang up just as gold
...Not trying to down your day...but I would have to say it might just be Plated..
Again...you have the ring to test and I dont...good luck

OP
OP
eclipsegt3

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
I hope for your sake its real..Ive never dug a (Good) ring that had corrision thou...And ive dug alot of junk rings that rang up just as gold
...Not trying to down your day...but I would have to say it might just be Plated..

id say your right bro.. probably junk.. gonna take it to a jeweler anyways just for the hell of it

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eclipsegt3 said:
Diggin-N-Dumps said:

id say your right bro.. probably junk.. gonna take it to a jeweler anyways just for the hell of it

You never know man....Keep us posted :thumbsup:

OP
OP
eclipsegt3

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
eclipsegt3 said:
Diggin-N-Dumps said:

You never know man....Keep us posted :thumbsup:

Went to a Jeweler and Dun da dun da Dun --------- ITS FAKE!!!! =(

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the old 250 is working well for you!!! Seems to me about a month ago you were saying you had not even found a coin with it :( A little persistence has paid off for you. Cool deal :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
eclipsegt3

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben Tover said:
Looks like the old 250 is working well for you!!! Seems to me about a month ago you were saying you had not even found a coin with it :( A little persistence has paid off for you. Cool deal :icon_thumright:

sure has.. just have to keep going on and learning and learning and digging an digging... Persistence is everything

drgeorge

May 25, 2008
Pálháza
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Int'l)
Okay, the suspense was killing me............. :icon_scratch:
Aw, darnit.........well better luck next time!!! :thumbsup:
HH!!!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eclipsegt3 said:
Ben Tover said:

sure has.. just have to keep going on and learning and learning and digging an digging... Persistence is everything

it is brother...I personally use it to find specific things when i go..i used to "dig everything"..but it gets old when 95% of it is trash....keep at it!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread