From a C-47 crash site. Someone can help us?

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is reportage of our visit to a crash site of a C-47. We know it is crashed in summer of 1944. There are 19 men on it and 11 or 12 deceased. We will be glad to know more about this aircraft and about these men.

The place

First find!

The crash site

Fragment of fuselage.

Pilots and\or parachute equipment?

Fragments.

Object of men are in aircraft. I recognize a fragment of a fork U.S. Some idea for other objects?

A lot of glass

10 A 250 What it is?

Fuselage fragment with LAD 24

Plate from the bullet-proof jacket that have gunners in bombers. Do you know C-47 have gunners? We also find a bullet 12,7.

Fragments of ceramic

Fragments of ammunitions. Bullet of rocket. Bullets 12,7. Bullet and ball from Carbine M1. Balls from cal. 30.

What it is?

14a

What it is?

15a

Fuze BURNDY A-10496

What it is?

Glass with N

Small bottle DES PAT. 8 825

Small bottle DES PAT 85...

Small bottle K-4533 1-1

Buttons and some small part

Button and collar disk infantry

Label RADIO CALL 315153. This is a sure reference to C-47 4315153.

Mario, Pierpaolo e Angelo

Thanks for every informations you can gave us!

Upvote 0

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW ! That is so cool ! Thanks for the pictures. Is that all you know is the call number and how do you know about the number of people ? Is there a link to a previous post you made with the info ?

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VWandSTUDEBAKER said:
WOW ! That is so cool ! Thanks for the pictures. Is that all you know is the call number and how do you know about the number of people ? Is there a link to a previous post you made with the info ?

We know about this crash site from a book of a local historian. He wrote that informations. The call number is the serial number of aircraft.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks , Matteo for making the effort to get an names of lost airmen and returning any personal effects to the USA , I may be able to help :sign13: , :( AAF C-47 crew and lost soldiers :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :angel11: let us give thanks and always remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms, to extend that umbrella of freedom to others – freeing them from tyranny and oppression. CMDdawg

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone can help me to find names of deceased soldiers? The date should be 31 july or 29 august 1944. Is possible to search US cemetery of Nettuno just with date of death?

goonie1day

Jan 6, 2011
Lynchburg Va.
Detector(s) used
MXT w/ Sunray DX-1 probe. D2 and 12" Super Coil, 6" DD, Teknetics T2 LTD 10X12 SEF and a Propointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. Cant help much. 10A 250 is a fuse.

drgeorge

May 25, 2008
Pálháza
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Int'l)
If you talk to some of the older people in the local area, then they may be able to help--even tose who were just kids at the time. Usually the deceased were interred in a separate area at the nearest cemetery. Also the town records will have some trace of the burials as well as the police reports for that period. Often the materials taken (salvaged) from these wrecks were used for civilian purposes--we've found panels from a crashed Ju-52 being used as a siding for a pig-pen, or to shore-up a saging cellar ceiling!! In another instance we saw armor plate from a Russian Il-2 Sturmovik used as a threshhold to a potato-cellar!
Good luck and HH!!!!!

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some other informations for someone that can help me: It is about 50 km south\east of Naples, Italy. The date of crash of this C-47 4315153 is 31 july or 29 august 1944. I know it take part to D-Day in Normandy.
Any other informations?

J23

Greenie
Dec 7, 2010
Mateo-
I've dealt with this type of thing for 20 years, as my uncle was killed in Belgium at the Battle of the Bulge during WW2 and never recovered.
If there are possibly human remains near the site, you need to contact the Joint POW MIA Accounting Command in Hawaii immediately.
The attached website has all of their contact information.
http://www.jpac.pacom.mil/
Best
John

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J23 said:
Mateo-
I've dealt with this type of thing for 20 years, as my uncle was killed in Belgium at the Battle of the Bulge during WW2 and never recovered.
If there are possibly human remains near the site, you need to contact the Joint POW MIA Accounting Command in Hawaii immediately.
The attached website has all of their contact information.
http://www.jpac.pacom.mil/
Best
John

Surely if will find. However I know bodies are buried in american cemetery in Italy. I think Nettuno War Memorial. I not know any name of soldiers. Do you can help me in some way to identify they? Thanks

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
your what is its are locking mechanisms for cargo tie down straps. hole in handle thingy is a spoon/fork/knife handle for a u.s. gi military chow set.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The C-47 was a transport plane and thus not armed as a general rule. Some were mounted with side guns in VietNam for special missions.

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wwwtimmcp said:
your what is its are locking mechanisms for cargo tie down straps. hole in handle thingy is a spoon/fork/knife handle for a u.s. gi military chow set.

Many thanks. Do you have photos of these locking mechanisms?

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friend of another forum identify another tool of photo 7: a military type cotter key/pin puller

bulinopercoppiglie.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread