Finds from the Playground / 1880 School House . . . but with a twist!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Happy 4th of July Weekend Everyone! :hello:

I got back for a short 2 hour hunt this afternoon, I immediately headed for the playground side of the old school yard. I've had some pretty decent finds here this week and was hoping to extend my streak by thinking "outside the box" today. So I ventured into the woods next to the playground after having studied the old photograph of the school. I felt there must've been a road at the back of the property at some point in time.

I've included a couple of photographs of what the area looks like now. I started swinging my coil as best I could in the heavy brush and almost immediately got a solid signal at about 4". I thought, "well it's a start, lets see what we have here", since the signal was so strong. My shovel hit metal and I decided to dig around it to get a better look at it since I knew it was pretty big. As I cleared the soil away, I started to see the sides of a metal drum start to take shape. I took a couple more scoops of dirt from inside the barrel and that's when I saw it! It was a leg bone of some type or so I thought. I stopped what I was doing and took a closer look at the bone as it looked very old, as there was no bone marrow left visible. I also noticed some light powdery substance sticking to the bone fragment and in the surrounding dirt.

This is when my CSI Miami TV show detective skills kicked in! :laughing7: I knew there was a reason why I had watched that show so much, I always thought it was because Emily Procter was so hot! :thumbsup: To make a long story shorter, I called the Police and when they finally arrived I showed them what I'd found. They sent the bone off to the local hospital to help tell them if it was human of not. Well it came back that it wasn't human, so they thanked me very much for helping them and left.

Found a cool little Police Commissioners badge and in the same hole was a bakelite mini radio and a metal frame that the radio was set into. I figure this was some kind of kids promotion item that they mailed away for back in the 1940's or 50's. Also found some fake bling earrings, these were about 2' apart buried in the dirt and a part of a car radiator.

Thanks for looking and for taking the time to read all of this! :laughing7:
Dave

Attachments

• July 2 Finds 001.jpg
    July 2 Finds 001.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,590
  • July 2 Finds 002.jpg
    July 2 Finds 002.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,584
  • July 2 Finds 003.jpg
    July 2 Finds 003.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,579
  • July 2 Finds 004.jpg
    July 2 Finds 004.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,582
  • July 2 Finds 005.jpg
    July 2 Finds 005.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,590
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MaineRelic said:
One of my digging fears is that I will eventually turn up a body ! Not looking forward to that day. That school is being good to you ! Nice finds :thumbsup: M.R

Hello MaineRelic! :hello:

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you with regard to your comments on this post! :-[

This old school has been very good to me and I've probably only covered 50% of it. I've been concentraiting mainly on the areas that gave me the rings, LC pennies and the silver coins. I've yet to hunt the front, back and far west side of the school too! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your post, :icon_thumright:
Dave

HISPAN said:
Antiquarian said:
HISPAN said:
Dave did the right thing .... :thumbsup:
Do not know why I missed this post. :icon_scratch:
H

Thanks for your post Hispan! :icon_thumright:
Dave
You should write your username in capital letters not to go unnoticed......you are one of the best and can afford it. :thumbsup:
H

Thank you very much for your kind words Hispan . . . I'm blushing right now! :laughing7: I've loved history & collected antiques for as long as I can remember. I think that's why when I discovered metal detecting last year I took to it so quickly. I simply believe that each post I make should have a point of interest to it and since my finds usually aren't that spectacular, I try to share the history of the site that I'm hunting instead.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

• Lilly at 3 months.jpg
    Lilly at 3 months.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 561
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
allen said:
love that police commissioner badge !
Too bad you didn't find Jimmy Hoffa though !

No, but I thought I might've found his bones though! :laughing7:

Thanks Allen,
Dave

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread