Civil War era Indian Head ...

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
After beating myself up mentally about NOT being able spend nearly as much time detecting as I would like, I popped an "extra" Celebrex this A.M. to be able go out to a spot I have been eyeballing for some time now. Used to be a small kiddie park that got totaled by Katrina last year. Every time I have driven by it since then, the gate across the entrance had it blocked off. A couple of days ago, no gate. "It is time".

I fully intended to just do around the sand pits ( & did, for some clad ).
When I was just about WORE OUT ( It takes very little time for me to attain that feeling ;) ) I decided to go back to the car & go home to nurse my already aching legs. A tree close by seemed to be calling me ( You know that voice, don't you ? :D ) & I actually responded "Yeah, Yeah, this BETTER be good" !! ( and SHALLOW !! )

It was. 5 minutes & what seemed like a keg-o-sweat later.....

806a.jpg

806b.jpg

Was hoping for a ring, but this will do just fine !! ;D ;D

Upvote 0

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Very nice indian head penny! man 1863! I still havnt found my first indian head penny! Lucky duck! :)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey yank, sounds like you're in my category. I'm looking toward maybe knee surgery but the first time my wife is out of the house next week I'm out detecting. Oh, I'll use a long-handled digger and stay on my feet.

That's a 1863 fat boy isn't it? WoW! Very nice.

Badger

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
great find,,,,i know the voice !! ya gotta listen to it too ya sleep better.... ;D ;D ;D

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
congrats on the IH. I still have that one my list of first finds to find. I seem to have jumped from wheaties down to large cents and need to find the indian head missing link (and the flying eagle would be nice also)

Funkman

snorton750

Jul 28, 2006
Auburn, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID
well Miss. Yankee makes me want to go home. nice IH. don't find many of those, that old here in the great northwest. Now if I were back in Laurel, maybee. Be kind to the legs I've been putting off the knee operation for too many years, to say yes now. I left Miss. when I joined the Navy and after retirement setteled near Seattle Wa. Best THing to you and find a lot more Stan...

M

mr toog

Sweet IH! To think the civil war was goin full tilt when that beauty was minted! Hey MB, whats a fat boy? Never heard of a "fat boy IH" before

in 1864 the weight of th ih cent was reduced from 72 grains to 38 grains, hence all pre 1864 cents are fatties. I just learned that bit of trivia not long ago myself after finding an 1861 and marveling at it's bulk :)

OP
OP
M

Mississippi Yankee

Jul 22, 2005
Petal MS
Michigan Badger said:
Hey yank, sounds like you're in my category. I'm looking toward maybe knee surgery but the first time my wife is out of the house next week I'm out detecting. Oh, I'll use a long-handled digger and stay on my feet.

That's a 1863 fat boy isn't it? WoW! Very nice.

Badger

Yep Badger, years ago doctors told me I would be in a scooter by now. NO WAY will I let that happen, unless they take me to my grave on one. ;) & yes, it is a 1863 copper/nickle fatty. It is this kind of find that keeps me going. Clad only keeps my interest for so long. ;D

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
usually for me the voice is telling me its miller time congrats on a nice find and i feel your knee pain good luck and hh

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now aren't you glad you went on out this mornin Mississippi! ;D

That one is a keeper for sure!

Nana ;)