found my first silver coin today made up, also i may have found my first hammerd

onlinesniper

Jun 16, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all at TNET i have found my first silver coin today and I'm made up its only a small one but its my first silver

Its a Victoria one shilling 1873 coin sorry for the bad pics using a mobile.
also i got a coin signal so i dug it at about 4-5 inches and it looks like a hammered coin but I'm no expert any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG00267-20110727-2108.jpg
    IMG00267-20110727-2108.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG00268-20110727-2108.jpg
    IMG00268-20110727-2108.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 804
  • IMG00266-20110727-2108.jpg
    IMG00266-20110727-2108.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 809
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

You will have to describe it more, can't tell from the picture...looks like it's made of Copper :icon_scratch:

SS

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
It looks hammered, but not the way you are thinking. The British began using steam works for stamping coins in 1797. But the hammering stopped way back. An exciting first silver find. Mine was just a 1964 dime. BOOOOOORING.

OP
OP
O

onlinesniper

Jun 16, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys it made my day and it made up for all the insect bites i incurred throughout the day :D the other coin is made of copper i think and it has a deep indented circle running round it off center with bits missing around the edges but i cant make out the picture on it and dont want to try cleaning it in case i destroy it lol

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
onlinesniper said:
Thanks guys it made my day and it made up for all the insect bites i incurred throughout the day :D the other coin is made of copper i think and it has a deep indented circle running round it off center with bits missing around the edges but i cant make out the picture on it and dont want to try cleaning it in case i destroy it lol
Doe's it look like a Thistle :dontknow:

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a smashed up coin/bullion weight

OP
OP
O

onlinesniper

Jun 16, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
onlinesniper said:
Doe's it look like a Thistle :dontknow:

SS
honestly im not sure, i can make out squiggles like a vine but apart from that iv no idea the revers hasnt got a ridge its flat, just the front

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
welcome to the forum! :hello:
H

OP
OP
O

onlinesniper

Jun 16, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HISPAN said:
welcome to the forum! :hello:
H

Thankyou Hispan Appreciated congrats on your finds also iv been having a browse through amazing.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You boys wanna send bout an acre of that dirt to my backyard,recon that's the only way I'll get a hammered!

OP
OP
O

onlinesniper

Jun 16, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
O

onlinesniper

Jun 16, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
worldtalker said:
You boys wanna send bout an acre of that dirt to my backyard,recon that's the only way I'll get a hammered!

lol im sure you will get one in time :icon_thumleft: fingers crossed

HH

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
onlinesniper said:
CRUSADER said:
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=453&cat=all

Can't find a match, but having a 'D' above Numbers screams weight to me

Thanks for the help Crusader i think its a weight too after following your link, im still learning but its easy when you've got help from you guys thankyou

Thats OK, we will ID anything in minutes on here, but try & get better pictures, if you can. Good luck & get in those harvested fields. Now is the best time of year :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
O

onlinesniper

Jun 16, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
onlinesniper said:
CRUSADER said:

Thanks for the help Crusader i think its a weight too after following your link, im still learning but its easy when you've got help from you guys thankyou

Harvesting very soon and i will be there just have to find out whos fields they are that i want to go on theres acres of land but no farmhouse that i can see would it be ok to go on until he found me or would i end up with a butt full of shot lol iv been detecting the borders so far and if i can find a silver on the border i can only imagine whats on the field itself, i am going out again tomorrow while the kids are out im going to a place called crank caverns in billinge have a google iv been told some ancient myths about their, wish me luck and il be on here as soon as i get home with hopefully some finds

Thats OK, we will ID anything in minutes on here, but try & get better pictures, if you can. Good luck & get in those harvested fields. Now is the best time of year :icon_thumright:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
onlinesniper said:
CRUSADER said:
onlinesniper said:
CRUSADER said:

Harvesting very soon and i will be there just have to find out whos fields they are that i want to go on theres acres of land but no farmhouse that i can see would it be ok to go on until he found me or would i end up with a butt full of shot lol iv been detecting the borders so far and if i can find a silver on the border i can only imagine whats on the field itself, i am going out again tomorrow while the kids are out im going to a place called crank caverns in billinge have a google iv been told some ancient myths about their, wish me luck and il be on here as soon as i get home with hopefully some finds

First rule, always get the Land Owner's permission prior to detecting. The most important thing to establish is an agreement over anything that you have to declare as Treasure. The standard agreement is 50/50. This covers you if you get a million £ + find (of course it covers any value find), but without it you are opening yourself up to legal action, no reward, loss of detector, & loss of vehicle.
I have loads of tips, but its late so of to bed. Tomorrow, I can help with any questions you might have.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks hammered, but not the way you are thinking. The British began using steam works for stamping coins in 1797. But the hammering stopped way back. An exciting first silver find. Mine was just a 1964 dime. BOOOOOORING.

Yeah, mine was 1961. You've got a nice first silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread