Well I messed-up on a find. (Update)

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I went to the bank this morning to get some change for my business. The bank teller, who I talk to often, asked if I wanted to buy some silver dollars. I said I sure would and he presented a box of about 20 silver dollars. They were exchanged for paper money by someone. I bought all of them, but they were newer. 2-1971, 3-1972, and the rest were 1976 bicentenials. I then asked if he had anymore, keyword here, "old" ones and he said, "No, those are the only "old" ones I have". This was were I should have asked if he had "anymore" instead of "old".
I went to my store and put the change in the till. About an hour later a man walked in, whom I knew, and said "You missed out, man". I asked him to explain and he told me that he saw me leaving the bank as he walked in. The teller asked him the same question about buying the silver dollars, BUT he presented him with 30!!!!!!, 2009 Amerian Eagle silver dollars!!!!!!!!! I really thought nothing of it until I realized they go for around $50-$60 a piece on ebay. I could have screamed.
So, I congratulated my friend on his find and went about my day remembering the words of a gentleman I worked for a long time ago, who was an avid coin collector, "Always buy any and all they have and don't forget to ask if they have anymore". And, "The worst that can happen is you will get your money back".
Oh well, maybe next time.
However, I did get 3-1935 silver certificate one dollar bills in a sale today.

Upvote 0

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Re: Well I messed-up on a find.

I don't even know what to say about this. I would have kicked that dude in the groin lol!

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz

Ahhh, that sucks man.. But in another angle you have made another man happy :laughing7:
But you will not forget to ask ''do you got anymore'' again :thumbsup:

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum

I am confused. What "silver" dollars did you buy? The ones you listed from the 70's are not silver. Just regular dollars worth a dollar.

SpringTxDigger

Dec 28, 2008
Katy Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hear of fellow club members still getting good stuff from the bank these days. A customer came in yesterday and recently picked up a roll of walking liberty half dollars. This stuff is still out there. It's crazy!

OP
OP
littlebill31

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350

By "silver" dollar, I meant the Eisenhower. I have always heard them refered to as the "silver dollars".

On another note, karma is good...sometimes, and today was my reward.
PNC bank, which is open on Sunday, in the grocery store, is where I went yesterday and I made a deposit today. I asked the teller on duty if she had any silver dollars, jokingly.
Well, she did. Somehow the same person who exchanged them yesterday had 25 more, all 2009 and I got 'em all!!!!
I do feel bad though because I know they were probably not meant to be spent. Either they were turned in due to the owner needing money or they were taken from someones collection.

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT

littlebill31 said:
By "silver" dollar, I meant the Eisenhower. I have always heard them refered to as the "silver dollars".

You are correct some people just like to be a little stuffy. Keep calling them silver dollars.

OP
OP
littlebill31

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I just sold the 25, 2009 "dollars worth a dollar" for $50.00 each and the 20, 1970's "dollars worth a dollar" for $5.00 each, which is a grand total of $1,350.00. Not bad for a $45.00 investment.

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm at a little loss here. You say he got 30 2009 American Eagles. This is bullion and not legal tender. Do you mean that the teller owned them personally and sold them to your friend but not through the bank? I understand the Eisenhowers but were the 2009 coins something else? :dontknow:

Nice find nonetheless :icon_thumright:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see if I have this right :icon_scratch: your saying 55 2009 one oz. silver eagles were in a bank and the teller let them slide out the door ::) Cm'on now :icon_scratch: that's sick :o and you missed 30 and went back later and scored 25 ozs of silver bullion coins for 25 dollars . really :-\ , that's quite a shocker , astonishing score 8)

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
So ... I'm guessing your learned a little information today, littlebill31? Eh?

Wish I could do that once. Ok, maybe 10 times or so.

OP
OP
littlebill31

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Yes, there are 2 idiot bank tellers handling our money. They exchanged those 2009 Silver Eagle coins for a dollar each, thinking they were legal tender. These are not the brightest tellers.
He asked if I wanted any silver dollars.
So I bought 20 1971, 1972, and 1976 actual Eisenhower dollar coins, but didn't know the 2009's were there.
Later, a friend stopped by my store and said he purchased 30, 2009 Silver Eagle coins that the teller had.
I searched "2009 silver dollar" on ebay and realized I could sell them.
I am no coin collector. I have absolutley no idea about coins.
I went in the next day, asked if they had anymore, and bought 25 more from another teller.
Then my wife's friend's husband bought them from me.

If you don't believe me, then call the PNC bank #080 in Millsboro, Delaware at the Giant grocery store. Ask for the idiot teller who sold the coins. I even told him about it and he almost had a heart attack.
I also got 3, 1935 silver certificate dollar bills that were turned in by the same person.
Obviously these coins were taken from someones collection by a crackhead.
I worked at a liquor store years ago and you would not believe what a drunk would trade for a drink.
i.e. the 1971 650 Triumph Bonneville frame I still have. Traded for a 750ml of vodka, no foolin'.
Here's pic of a coin
silver dollar.jpg

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
littlebill31 said:
Yes, there are 2 idiot bank tellers handling our money. They exchanged those 2009 Silver Eagle coins for a dollar each, thinking they were legal tender. These are not the brightest tellers.
He asked if I wanted any silver dollars.
So I bought 20 1971, 1972, and 1976 actual Eisenhower dollar coins, but didn't know the 2009's were there.
Later, a friend stopped by my store and said he purchased 30, 2009 Silver Eagle coins that the teller had.
I searched "2009 silver dollar" on ebay and realized I could sell them.
I am no coin collector. I have absolutley no idea about coins.
I went in the next day, asked if they had anymore, and bought 25 more from another teller.
Then my wife's friend's husband bought them from me.

If you don't believe me, then call the PNC bank #080 in Millsboro, Delaware at the Giant grocery store. Ask for the idiot teller who sold the coins. I even told him about it and he almost had a heart attack.
I also got 3, 1935 silver certificate dollar bills that were turned in by the same person.
Obviously these coins were taken from someones collection by a crackhead.
I worked at a liquor store years ago and you would not believe what a drunk would trade for a drink.
i.e. the 1971 650 Triumph Bonneville frame I still have. Traded for a 750ml of vodka, no foolin'.
Here's pic of a coin
People do strange things under the influence,why do you think they call it SPIRITS!!!!!!!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
littlebill31 said:
They sure do. I get offered all kinds of weird items for building bikes. I mean weird.
Got any other pics of bikes ya built?Postem in EverythingElse,like to see ur handy work!

Saabman

Aug 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
F75

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
I don't even know what to say about this. I would have kicked that dude in the groin lol!

ROFLMAO :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread