crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Literally!
Today I was detecting and not finding much so I decided to take a break and pick a few blackberries. I was reaching for the berry in the picture when I noticed the hornets nest about a foot away. That's about the same time the hornets noticed me reaching toward their nest for a blackberry and they started swarming out of the nest. I hightailed it out of there and somehow managed to outrun them. I went back a little while later to try out my new camera. For some reason I couldn't get it to focus on the nest so its a little blurry but you can still see them.

Attachments

• hornets nest.jpg
    hornets nest.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,679
Upvote 0

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a nest of underground yellow jackets a week ago , they were on me like white on rice . You talk about movin' out quick :o a bunch of kids saw me booking with swarms of bees chasing . They were yelling , run Forest run ::) till I ran towards them . The kids jumped in the nearby pond as well . You run faster than I do ;D CMD

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU lucky Dawg!

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you outran those bad boys. About a year and a half ago, I was cleaning a potential coin site (here in S. Korea)
and almost backed into a nest of killer wasps. Two of them let me know that I was wayyyyy to close to their home......
felt the poisen going up my back. Told my partner to prepare to call 1-1-9. The poisen got to my shoulder bone, and
stopped, receded back down my back, and then hurt bad bad for the next 3 days. After the poisen went back then I
took out my trusty can of Wasp Killer, and did just that.....soaked their nest thoroughly. Wasn't one living that I could see.
Then, two weekends ago, got to a coin site....and noticed a strange buzzing. The coin site was directly under a wild
apricot tree.....and the apricots were ripe. Many bees, yellow jackets were there.....so, I sprayed the tree down with the wasp
spray. Had no trouble all day.
QUESTION: Does anyone know of a spray that we can wear that repels wasps? All the sprays that I have seen say, if you
get it on you, then get the spray off of you as quickly as possible, and get to the nearest dr. Wish I could find some
repellant...... Good THing, and more good hunts.

OP
OP
crankyolman22

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody.
Them hornets are big and mean, I'm so glad they didn't get me. I think I'm going to make up a sign to warn others about them today. This area is popular with the blackberry pickers and I wouldn't want anybody hurt when I can prevent it.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hikeinmts said:
Glad you outran those bad boys.About a year and a half ago, I was cleaning a potential coin site (here in S. Korea) and almost backed into a nest of killer wasps.Two of them let me know that I was wayyyyy to close to their home...... felt the poisen going up my back. Told my partner to prepare to call 1-1-9. The poisen got to my shoulder bone, and stopped, receded back down my back, and then hurt bad bad for the next 3 days.After the poisen went back then I took out my trusty can of Wasp Killer, and did just that.....soaked their nest thoroughly.Wasn't one living that I could see. Then, two weekends ago, got to a coin site....and noticed a strange buzzing. The coin site was directly under a wild apricot tree.....and the apricots were ripe.Many bees, yellow jackets were there.....so, I sprayed the tree down with the wasp spray.Had no trouble all day.

QUESTION: Does anyone know of a spray that we can wear that repels wasps?All the sprays that I have seen say, if you get it on you, then get the spray off of you as quickly as possible, and get to the nearest dr.Wish I could find some repellant......Good THing, and more good hunts.

I hear you hikeinmts about bees & wasps pestering you while you're out detecting! :thumbsup: Here's what I use here in Canada . . . bees won't even come close me I smell so bad! :laughing7:

Muskol® Aerosol Insect Repellent

Developed in Canada by Colonel C. H. Coll in 1951. An avid Canadian outdoorsman, Muskol® Insect Repellent provides 8 hours of effective protection against mosquitoes, black flies, biting midges, deer flies, stable flies, ticks and chiggers.

Good luck to you,
Dave

Attachments

• Muskol-crop.png
    Muskol-crop.png
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,285

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
White's V3X, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job on the escape.... Thats the kinda thing that makes you wanna pack a flame thrower when your out detecting...

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
CMDiamonddawg said:
...... a bunch of kids saw me booking with swarms of bees chasing . They were yelling , run Forest run ::) till I ran towards them . The kids jumped in the nearby pond as well ......

LOL BEST thing I read all day! Thanks for the laugh. That'll teach those smart mouthed kids LOL

OP
OP
crankyolman22

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I did my good deed for the day.
Had a few minutes so I made up a sign to warn others.
I figure I'll go back this winter and see if its still there. a good hornet nest is worth some bucks :laughing7:

Attachments

• hornets 5.jpg
    hornets 5.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,127

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was very kind of you, putting up a sign warning others about that hornets nest! If I didn't know about a hornets nest near me, I would want to be warned! I'm sure others will appreciate the warning! :thumbsup:

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
we had a hornets nest just under our porch overhang. I took a rag and soaked it in permanon, and tied it to a very long stick. I pushed the rag right into the nest and wedged the stick in place. the angry hornets attacked the permanon soaked rag and pretty much killed themselves off, the last lucky few got raid wasp and hornet killer. use their own anger against them.

glad to hear you escaped unscathed. I got chased once while blackberry picking. I had my flannel lined jeans on and they could not sting through them. ran back to the house for a swatter and squashed them but good.

OP
OP
crankyolman22

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone.
I make it a point never to run unless being chased. In this case I wish Guinness were timing me because I set a new record for the hundred yard dash! I didn't know I could run so fast.
But the way I found out what the problem was with my camera :tongue3: There was a finger print on the lens. ::)

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always Have a can of wasp hornet spray in my truck it can shoot 22 feet!!! Good for its intended Pourpose!!! Also a good Land Shark Repellent HH Chug

P.S.

Thanks for the Post I going out This weekend For a bunch of those sweet Berries!!! Its time to Make a batch of Black Berry Hooch

Easy recipe

4 cups of Berry's, 4 cups of Sugar, 4 cups Of Vodka mash the berries add sugar and Vodka Put into a gallon Jar seal with saran wrap and a Strong rubber band store in cool dark area stir once a week after eight weeks Strain thru cheese cloth and Bottle

Great Over Ice cream!!! ;D ;D ;D Not to much It will Kick Butt HH Chug

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Hornets are SUPER aggressive this time of year so if you can try to look out ahead of yourself when detecting to see if you see any of them disappearing into the ground and if so, execute an about face! I've been stung 3 times in four days (yellow jackets) and today my buddy flipped a pug and stirred up a swarm that we almost escaped unscathed...He got tagged in the temple. Many sources say they only reach a half inch in length...I beg to differ!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
now I'm thinking I better get A bee sting Kit from My doctor!!!! very allergic!!!

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Chug and Red said:
now I'm thinking I better get A bee sting Kit from My doctor!!!! very allergic!!!
I HIGHLY recommend you do, especially if you go off into the woods and if you've been told your susceptible to anaphylactic shock. If you or anyone were to be attacked by a swarm and lose consciousness in the woods...That's all she wrote. You also may want to consider carrying benodryl with you as this can help reduce the severity of your body's reaction but definitely get yourself an Epi-pen. FYI, Bees,wasps,and hornets kill 4x the amount of people that poisonous snakes do in America each year and allergic reactions have been known to suddenly occur in people who have never been so before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread