Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Large Pre-"Gold Rush" 1833 silver found in San Francisco

On Saturday, Chris (Nicasian) and I headed to a park that has been on my To-Do list for quite a while. We did quite well that day, pulling a few silvers and a bunch of old wheats. We did so well that we returned on Sunday. I didn't do so well that day, but Chris really nailed it with a bunch of silvers and very high wheat counts. At the end of both days I texted Jayson (StayDetuned) with our totals for the days and I could hear him licking his chops from across town. Jayson wanted to know where we had found such good numbers and I told him he would have to ask Chris as it was his honey hole that he brought me to. When Jayson asked Chris where it was he said to ask me since I brought him there!

Monday morning I eventually filled Jayson in on where we had been hunting, and Jay was on the spot at the crack of noon. For him to get out so early you know that he was motivated! :sleepy2:
I was still on the couch recovering from Saturday's 7-hour hunt and Sunday's 9-hour hunt while drinking coffee and watching the Watkins Glen NASCAR race.

Jayson hadn't been swinging his coil for more than 2 minutes when he texted me saying he had found an 1898 Barber dime. I was beginning to panic so I got my act together to head over. Strangely I couldn't find my Lesche, and I thought maybe I left it at a construction site the night before. I was thinking that maybe this was a sign to take a day off of metal detecting and slow down. But Jayson was pillaging my new site; I had to get out there! It took me about half an hour of searching before I finally found a hand trowel and headed over to the park.

By the time I arrived Jayson had already added a war nickel and a few wheat cents to his haul, picking up coins I had missed the day before. I looked around and decided to swing a little further down the hill. This was an area that Chris and I had not yet hunted. There were no good views and I was thinking it might not be the most popular area to sit.

Right away I got a few wheats and a war nickel. I kept running into the sprinkler system pipe that went along the bottom of the hill. There were actually two sprinkler systems, with an older one that had the heads buried a good 8-10 inches deep. I had dug about a half dozen of those heads over the past two days because they ring up like a half dollar/dollar, reading 0-27 on the Explorer.

As I continued swinging I got another strong signal that read just like one of those brass sprinkler heads but this one indicated that it was only an inch or two deep. I got down on my knees and hit the area with the Sunray probe. Sure enough, this target was quite shallow. As I stirred up the loose dirt I saw a large silver object appear. When I first picked it up I thought maybe it was some medal or something (I had found a large medal two days prior). When I flipped it over I saw a date.

1833!
That was the exact moment when I started frantically waving Jayson over. I didn't even know what it was. I covered it in my hand, not showing Jayson, and asked him to swing on it and tell me what he thought it was. Seated Half? Dollar coin?

It's still a little fuzzy, but at some point Jayson started shooting some video.
Here is a photo of the coin as it was found:

inthefield.jpg

At first I thought it was Spanish silver, but after trying to read the coin we thought it must be something different. After texting Chris and asking him to look it up, it was determined to be an 1833 Rigsbankdaler from Denmark.

Here are some pictures taken this morning after the coin has been rinsed in water but not "cleaned." The coin is the same diameter as a U.S. silver dollar but noticeably thicker and heavier. The coin is 87.5% silver.

obverse1000.jpg
Rev1000.jpg

The origins of the coin are a bit of a mystery. The park is plenty old, but not pre-Gold Rush old. Prior to the Gold Rush, in 1847 the population of San Francisco was 459! There are "Environmental Factors" at work in this park that bring old coins to the surface. I will leave it at that. ;D

There you have it, my oldest coin and my biggest silver, all rolled into one great find.
Thanks for looking and happy hunting!!

Upvote 0

ahaulil

Apr 19, 2011
North Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Large Pre-"Gold Rush" silver found in San Francisco

Wow...I would be proud.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow! I'd sure say that's banner worthy IMO :thumbsup: Excellent score :headbang:

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congrats! That coin is awesome! It amazes how well it just rinsed off & how much detail survived on a roughly 180 year old coin. Hope you find more!!!

chkn

Apr 12, 2010

Man, you guys got some more swingin' to do there. I know there's more there for ya!!! Happy Day!!! :thumbsup:

Briz06

Jan 1, 2011
Phoenixville, PA
Detector(s) used
White's V3X, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow :o thats a hell of a score.... I'd love to know the story behind that coin!! ... Banner IMO :thumbsup:

misplacedrednek

Aug 20, 2006
Temple, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just goes to show that silver in any language is awesome. Great find!

Matt

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

wow that is an awesome coin!! congrats!!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sweet BANNER Find In My Book!!! HH and Great Story Chug votes in

OP
OP
mr_larry

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thank you for all of the nice comments. I know a lot of you east coasters are thinking 1833? What's the big deal? Here in California we are lucky to find a seated coin. Finding anything before the Gold Rush is a true rarity!

We will head back to the park and look for more oldies. I also found a 1875 2 Pfennig coin here in great shape. Hopefully we will continue to find some great coins!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dan should have found that coin, it had his name on it!
Congrats on a really cool coin.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Large Pre-"Gold Rush" 1833 silver found in San Francisco

Beautiful and unusual Large Silver :o
Congrats :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice coin but why do you think its pre-gold rush, when it has at least 30 years of wear & was probably lost in the 1860s (or even later)? :icon_scratch:

PS. I think I know what you mean, you just mean the date is pre-gold rush & not when it was lost - right?

OP
OP
mr_larry

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CRUSADER said:
Very nice coin but why do you think its pre-gold rush, when it has at least 30 years of wear & was probably lost in the 1860s (or even later)? :icon_scratch:

PS. I think I know what you mean, you just mean the date is pre-gold rush & not when it was lost - right?

I was only saying that the coin pre-dates the Gold Rush, not that it necessarily was dropped before the gold rush! For San Francisco, it is a very old coin!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mr_larry said:
CRUSADER said:

I was only saying that the coin pre-dates the Gold Rush, not that it necessarily was dropped before the gold rush! For San Francisco, it is a very old coin!

Yes understood, it just read a little different. I hope you get my point, as context is everything when talking about historic finds. The Roman Coins found in the US are very old coins, but it doesn't add much to the US history. If it was lost pre-gold rush I would be right behind you, but this 'could' have been lost fairly recently. Although I suspect its was during the booming population growth of the 1850-60s which does add an interesting twist to the usual coins that are found. Its something to be proud of, I hope you see my analsing as constructive & by no means takes away from it being a coin anyone would love to find :headbang:

mightybaine

May 17, 2008

Very nice find, but the environmental factors you spoke of could be a big point, with them kept in mind I would certainly keep searching the area (if that coin was not recently lost like someone said there could be more because a lot of people back then kept there money all together and it may have been in a jar or something with others).

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

...you never commented on my comment on the other forum,but nice find....you never know,and S.F. was the Hub,for thosands of people coming in.I bet you have a thirty year old coin around your house maybe even in your pocket?

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Larry, Nice find / coin.

I can tell you as someone who does live on the East Coast. It does not matter where you live, that is a nice find. California, Boston, (or Nova Sootia)

And BTW congrats on your oldest coin, and biggest Silver.

I'd take that in a second.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread