Some war relics from the woods

Zalman

Aug 22, 2011
Hello, my first post to this forum!

I managed to find a flintlock musket hammer and a bayonet in the woods. I am not sure whether they are russian or swedish but they are either one because they were found on an old battle field where Russia and Sweden fought in late 18th century. That place is littered with musket balls and cannon ball fragments.

hammer_web.jpg

bayonet_web.jpg

I had to take three separate photos of the bayonet and parse them together to get good enough quality, so forgive me those small discontinuities in the photo.

More to follow once I find something worth posting.

HH,

Zalman

Upvote 1

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds and great photos as well.
Love that the flint was still in place. It would seem that the rifle would be close by-I would recheck that portion of woods.

Palmetto

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
WOW! Wish I could say my first finds' post looked like yours. Great recoveries. Get out there and harvest the rest of those balls and frags. They might be masking something even better!

OP
OP
Z

Zalman

Aug 22, 2011
Palmetto said:
Awesome finds and great photos as well.
Love that the flint was still in place. It would seem that the rifle would be close by-I would recheck that portion of woods.

Palmetto

Hi and thanks! I did search the close by area for the musket itself but it must have been picked up by the swedes who won the battle. I read in history books that they recovered russian muskets from the field so I believe that the musket without the hammer was one of them. The hammer itself is so small that is must have gone undetected in the woods.

HH,

Zalman

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank's for posting!!!! Great dig's,love the flintlock hammer......Photo's are fine :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that hammer is cool!!!I have found the hammer,and have found the flints,but never the two in one!!!!Awesome!!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics and welcome to the forum! Love the hammer with the flint in the jaws!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice!!!!!!! MR TUFF

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly great piece of history there. Awesome to find the hammer with flint. The bayonet is way cool ! Great job man!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics, what area are you in? Im from the south west coast in Finland. Havent hunted much in Finland though, mostly out of the country

OP
OP
Z

Zalman

Aug 22, 2011
americancivilwarrelics said:
Nice find. I would be interested in seeing what types of bullets you are finding.

As requested :)

These musket balls were found around russian artillery post so they must be swedish.

musketballs_web.jpg

Shrapnel from exploding cannon balls? I have no other explanation for so badly deformed and melt together musket balls. They were found in front of the artillery post so they have not melt together in a fire but must be shrapnel.

shrapnel_web.jpg

I have another site in my sights, a winter camp for swedish troops. Can't wait to get there!

HH,

Zalman

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
Hello Zalman
Welcome to Tnet,
Looks like you've got a great site there, I love the flintlock hammer I'm sure there
will be a lot more to come.

Dave.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome! The flint still in the hammer is quite amazing. Nice job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread