The glory of last week. US Plate, Cannonball and Awesome Button

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I didn't find this all today but Monday and Tuesday. Irene came blowing through and I just got my power back on.

This week started awesome. I didn't lose any trees in my yard so it made it easier to tell the wife I'm out digging.
I started Monday buy digging a new spot that I have never been to. The lady that gave me permission said just like everyone else that there's nothing left and you probaly wont find much. Well that never stops me. I started pulling muscket balls then a 3 ringer or two when I get this weird signal. Right of the bat I decided that I was going to dig it no matter what. Well at the bottom of a 24+ inch hole pops out this beautiful 12 pound solid shot cannon ball. I am amazed. With the ball I also found a Confederate Read Shell Fragment very close by.

Tuesday- I meet up with a fellow T-netter who was here in Va. on vacation looking to do some diggin. We meet about 7ish grab some coffee and hit the road. On the way he tells me he wants to dig a Confederate button. So we head to the best spot I know of to find one. Well he didnt manage to pull one but I did(it was for lack of trying though). This is the best button I have ever dug. It is a Manuscript A. In Alberts button book it CS105 I think. Well we hit it hard for about 2 more hours and break for lunch. I know it sounds crazy but we decided to knock on a few doors after lunch.

We managed to get permission for a couple of yards close to where I have found a few items. After about a hour here I pulled out the US Box Plate!!!! Unreal. I at this point feel kinda bad. My new friend is standing there looking at me in a bit of disbelief. I wanted him to at least dig something. Well all was not lost he did score a pocket full of bullets and a few flat buttons and some odds and ends.

Well that rounded out a amazing digging week for me, one I'm sure I'll never forget.

Thanks for looking
ynp

P.S.- TNdigger2011, It was awesome to hunt with you, we'll do it again I'm sure

Attachments

• Me and a cannonball.JPG
    Me and a cannonball.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 742
  • Uncleaned.JPG
    Uncleaned.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 746
  • Cleaned.JPG
    Cleaned.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 744
  • Manuscript A Front.JPG
    Manuscript A Front.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 751
  • Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 739
  • Box Plate.JPG
    Box Plate.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 742
  • Group Shot.JPG
    Group Shot.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 740
  • Plate.JPG
    Plate.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 732
Upvote 0

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Glory of last week. Plate, Cannonball and Awesome Button

Wow, cant have any better luck than that. Nice finds.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! love the button, and congrats on the plate and the cannon ball. I dont think I would forget a hunt like that one for sure. :thumbsup:

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing recoveries!!! Good for you, easier to just say Congrats on All the great relics.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Have you weighed that cannon ball, looks more like an 8 pounder from the size compared to your hand.

OP
OP
ynpto804

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland- I went digging with TNdigger2011. I think he is a newer member on here.

Curious- I did weigh it. Before I knocked most of the crud off it weighed 13.1 lbs. So I'm guessing its real close to 12lbs now.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds, Congrats on the Manuscript A and US Plate :icon_thumleft: :wink:

tndigger2011

Aug 21, 2011
Kingsport,TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher(F75--LTD) Garret AT Pro
Well its my turn to chime in.......the additional hunter was me, met up with matt at his home in mechancisvile va......showed me his collection quite nice and made me quite jelous :) matt has been hunting right at a year and has massed quite the collection of sought after relics. He is quite right when i stated i had never found a confeddy button but actually witnessed several come out of the ground. Matt dug a beautiful script A, and a belt plate right under my nose lol but am quite impressed with his detector skills he has developed in such a short time of hunting....i expect many more great finds from the hunter, and look forward to hunting with him again SHORTLY !!! and i have already informed him the next button will be catch and release!!!!!!!! but all seriousness i had a great time...thanks matt

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tndigger2011 said:
Well its my turn to chime in.......the additional hunter was me, met up with matt at his home in mechancisvile va......showed me his collection quite nice and made me quite jelous :) matt has been hunting right at a year and has massed quite the collection of sought after relics. He is quite right when i stated i had never found a confeddy button but actually witnessed several come out of the ground. Matt dug a beautiful script A, and a belt plate right under my nose lol but am quite impressed with his detector skills he has developed in such a short time of hunting....i expect many more great finds from the hunter, and look forward to hunting with him again SHORTLY !!! and i have already informed him the next button will be catch and release!!!!!!!! but all seriousness i had a great time...thanks matt
Ahhh welcome TN Digger!

I'm in Kingsport once in a while. Wife is a UT grad. Home is Knoxville

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw your stuff in the store. I'm quite jealous myself. :P
The offer still stands. If you want to hunt for shell fragments and bullets I'd be glad to take you along.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread