yo ho ho silver quarter, gotcha...

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found that silver quarter I'd been hoping for! It seems almost all my silver coins have been buried under tree canopies. Not a surprise I guess, as I like to work in the shade, it's usually hot in miami. I really don't have a goal to find any other denomination of silver coin in south florida, because I don't think I can reasonably expect that to happen. I still can't believe I found a barber dime and a walking liberty half down here.

9-5-11digquarterw-1.jpg

Upvote 0

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, you should be able to expect just about anything in Florida. Jackson and troops were there in the early 1800's fighting the Seminoles. Prior to that, there was the Spanish in the 1700's. Oh, and don't forget that Florida had many bays and inlets that were popular with pirates. Stories of pirate treasures abound in FL.

In the 1960's, a man was bulldozing palmettos just South of Ft. Myers, in preparation for some construction work. As he sat on the dozer having lunch, he noticed what he thought were blackened cannon balls he had turned up. Much to his surprise, when he went over and checked them out, he found that they were clusters of old Spanish coins. Possibly part of the Spanish plate fleet.

Never be surprised at what you might find.

Eagle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread