VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It seems like all I have done lately is write magazine articles. I have cranked out 2 for AD Magazine and another for North South Trader in the past week. I was dying to go hunting. Dman was playing golf and Josh had to work so I made a solo trip to a CSA Cavalry camp with one mission in mind-search an area where the camp blacksmith shod the hundreds of cavalry horses for the CS Soldiers camped there. I hunted for 3.5 hours before it got too hot. It started out at 62 degrees when I arrived at 7 am and was 83 deg. at 10:30 with high humidity. My shirt was soaked with sweat when I left.
I haven't hunted that part of the camp in probably 12 years but a friend had dug 3 iron stirrups there. The old Fisher that I used there previously would almost blank out with the iron nails in the small area. The F75 was a different matter as you can see.
I tossed the first 6 or 7 horseshoe halves that are not in the pic. I was amazed at the horseshoe pieces and iron pot parts there. I brought them home so I could clean and clear coat them to give to school kids as they came from a historic Confederate camp commanded by a famous Colonel. I enjoyed finding the pocket knife and fired .36 cal. ball. I first thought the piece in the middle with 3 holes was a lockplate but after cleaning I believe it's from a wagon. The brass piece inside the small shoe looks to be part of a scabbard tip. I really enjoyed hunting today. Hunt every day like it's your last because it may be. Nothing exciting here but I'm going back because there are hundreds of other targets to dig there yet.
Be on the lookout for my articles about some relic legends and Tenn. Trio finds in W & E, AD, and N S Trader magazine in the next 6 or 8 months. There are 4 articles scheduled for W & E, 3 for American Digger, and 2 for North South Trader so far. HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• CSA CAv. Camp 9-14-11.jpg
    CSA CAv. Camp 9-14-11.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,298
Upvote 0

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh Quindy, Great hunt! It takes a real dedicated relic hunter to go into a blacksmithing area and hunt in AM. I will be curious to see what will be found there when you get the iron out and see what non-ferrous targets have been hiding underneath. Looking forward to seeing the articles coming out...you are a writing MACHINE! HH'ing my friend and hopefully we'll get to hunt together soon in the coming months!

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Thanks for the welcome Quindy. I appreciate your comments about us. I've never met Doug but if he is willing to buy our lunch instead of giving his money away than I look forward to meeting him! I found out real quick that you guys are passionate about digging relics and thats what it takes. Remember that the harder you hunt, the luckier you get! You also follow directions well my friend. Anybody that can go right to a place in the middle of many acres and dig something deserves good finds. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find on your next trip. Once again, thanks for the warm welcome here on the T Net!!!!!!! Donnie

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you got out and scratched that digging itch Quindy. I got my F75 4 years ago and a lot of my old sites came to life again. Like you I used an 1266 for many years, then a 1270. Who knows, if you keep pulling all that iron out of that site, you may unmask a good button or two.

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008
great going Quindy.i have been looking for post from you or Dman....keep hunting that spot for sometimes all that iron will mask some great relics.again thank you for posting.

Arcadian

Greenie
Sep 9, 2011
Hmm, If you dug that long with only two non-ferrous signals I'd say it may be time to find a new site.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Q,
Looks like you're getting a bit "rusty" there old man. :tongue3: :laughing9: You know I'm just kidding.
Congrats on the relics Q, and FANTASTIC job on your articles. Write Right on! :thumbsup:
The F75 looks like it sniffed out a lot more that was missed previously.
Well done.
-Dug-
P.S. As you guessed, I fixed your photo so you now have "U"nion horseshoes. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• CSA_CAv__Camp_9-14-11.jpg
    CSA_CAv__Camp_9-14-11.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 779

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardy har har.
Rob, you should feel lucky as I usually charge for my comedy shows. 5ince you are buying some beer and letting me sleep inside though it will be free.
BTW- Quindy typed those stories on his Smith Corona typewriter because his quill pen broke and hunting season doesn't start until next month so he can replace it.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Hardy har har.
Rob, you should feel lucky as I usually charge for my comedy shows. 5ince you are buying some beer and letting me sleep inside though it will be free.
BTW- Quindy typed those stories on his Smith Corona typewriter because his quill pen broke and hunting season doesn't start until next month so he can replace it.
So cruel to the elderly...Shame LOL

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sekypaleo said:
Heh Quindy, Great hunt! It takes a real dedicated relic hunter to go into a blacksmithing area and hunt in AM. I will be curious to see what will be found there when you get the iron out and see what non-ferrous targets have been hiding underneath. Looking forward to seeing the articles coming out...you are a writing MACHINE! HH'ing my friend and hopefully we'll get to hunt together soon in the coming months!
Thanks Bill and I hope you are still working on your next article for W & E. Looking forward to hunting with you and your Dad.
Steve in PA said:
I'm glad you got out and scratched that digging itch Quindy. I got my F75 4 years ago and a lot of my old sites came to life again. Like you I used an 1266 for many years, then a 1270. Who knows, if you keep pulling all that iron out of that site, you may unmask a good button or two.
Thanks Steve. I'm sure they are there but trhey will only be captured eagle buttons or flat or flower buttons the Confederates wore from home. Read on my friend, Quindy.
ModernMiner said:
Q,
Looks like you're getting a bit "rusty" there old man. :tongue3: :laughing9: You know I'm just kidding.
Congrats on the relics Q, and FANTASTIC job on your articles. Write Right on! :thumbsup:
The F75 looks like it sniffed out a lot more that was missed previously.
Well done.
-Dug-
P.S. As you guessed, I fixed your photo so you now have "U"nion horseshoes. :thumbsup:
I can always count on you MM. Believe me, if I didn't want to give some kids a relic and thought there might be some good relics hiding in there, I would be home-LOL. Q.
rebelrouser said:
great going Quindy.i have been looking for post from you or Dman....keep hunting that spot for sometimes all that iron will mask some great relics.again thank you for posting.
I hope so Don. It feels like November here today. HH, Quindy
Woodland Detectors said:
Great saves on the camp relics Quindy. Big cool down coming this week :hello2: Time for us southerners to get in the woods and start our season.
I'm with you Bud!! Looking forward to seeing you this fall. GO VOLS!! HH, Q.
RTDE3 said:
Good Job Q!
Glad you put the pen (or keyboard) down & got out for a few hours!
Good of you to think about the kids. :thumbsup:
Do you think a sniper coil would work well in all the iron?
There has to be stuff hiding in the middle of all that iron & another stirrup or 2!
Jack wagon is coming to stay with me this weekend so keep me in your prayers! :D
You have my sympathy Rob. Nice knowing you-LOL. Good luck, Q.
Arcadian said:
Hmm, If you dug that long with only two non-ferrous signals I'd say it may be time to find a new site.
Thanks for the advice but I'll keep on looking there. My wife wanted me to go back today and dig more hoseshoes, pieces of horseshoes, and cooking pot pieces as they will have a drawing for kids wanting a relic at the local elementary school next week. The first target I dug today was an early 1800s flat button probably worn by a CSA Soldier camped there. I'll just add it to my box from this site shown in the pic. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• CSA Cav. Camp.jpg
    CSA Cav. Camp.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 659

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic display of CW relics Q. :hello2:
I'm getting the itch to head back into the woods again to detect. It's finally cooled down. :thumbsup:
Well done,
Dug

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting hunt.....always like your posts.
And, I especially like the idea of sharing with the kids.....I do in my school here, in South Korea.
So, if you would, I would like to share, and send you some of the old holed coins that I find here in Korea....
you can share them with your kids.......it's what we find here in this side of the world.
(I'll include a few things about how to i.d. the coins, why the hole, etc, so you can share with the kiddos.)
Let me know if this is something you would want to do.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hikeinmts said:
Interesting hunt.....always like your posts.
And, I especially like the idea of sharing with the kids.....I do in my school here, in South Korea.
So, if you would, I would like to share, and send you some of the old holed coins that I find here in Korea....
you can share them with your kids.......it's what we find here in this side of the world.
(I'll include a few things about how to i.d. the coins, why the hole, etc, so you can share with the kiddos.)
Let me know if this is something you would want to do.
Great idea Bill. I know you teach English there. Is the countryside there as pretty as the M A S H episides as I'm sure they were not filmed in S. Korea? Thanks you for all your devoted years of military service and we'll get that exchange started soon. HH, Quindy.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The countryside is as pretty, or prettier, than depicted on M.A.S.H. Really, I thought that some of the MASH programs might
have been filmed in Korea....it looked pretty close to the real thing. And the good thing about it is, I am in the countryside, up in the hills, doing my digging. Away from STUDENTS NOISE!!!! Only a few birds, pheasants, snakes, centipedes, wild pigs,
bears, and assorted other critters.....but IT'S QUIET!!! (No rattles on the snakes......:) 6 days with kids makes this 60-something year old guy glad that I have grandkids.....I love 'em to death, but I can send them back home to Mom and Dad every now and then.
I'm exaggerating some. But, I do love the clean air, the nice breeze that seems to always be blowing on the top of the hills, and finding the coin sites and coins.
As far as military, I was in during VietNam, but was not sent there. Spent time in Germany, instead. Got out after 4 years, lived in Miami, FL for a couple of years, then back in and finished 20+ in 1990. I was one of the lucky ones.....saw no combat.
My oldest son wasn't so lucky.....he's in right now, and has been to Iraq. I do thank all the young men and women who are doing their duty.....IMHO......way above their duty in many cases. They deserve the applause.
Thanks for the "picresizer" info. Should have figured that there would be a website by that name. But, my computer skills are a little above zero......but not much. Will wait for you to tell me when to ship. Looking forward to sharing with you and the kids. They are our heritage....and our hope for a better America than what we had. It's up to us to love them and inspire them. Will get off the soapbox. Good to get acquainted with you. And, if you ever get a chance to come over here, do it.
We got extra space, and I would love to take you on a hike or two. Bill

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Quindy Hurricane did some damage to my area :P damn storm caused a lot of extra work . >:( I like the MM's use of getting rusty . :laughing7: Seems like you stumbled upon the cavalry blacksmith's horse shoe store . Like all the sizes . What I can't figure out is why the F 75 is getting the job done better than the 1266 X :icon_scratch: :dontknow: both are ferrous metal magnets especially small iron targets . Do you mean better pinpointing separation of targets when there are many ??? Nice hunt and finds . I will check out the articles you wrote :thumbsup: Hope you get a CSA buckle , this Fall . Much Continued Success and Have Fun dawg

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
Hi Quindy Hurricane did some damage to my area :P damn storm caused a lot of extra work . >:( I like the MM's use of getting rusty . :laughing7: Seems like you stumbled upon the cavalry blacksmith's horse shoe store . Like all the sizes . What I can't figure out is why the F 75 is getting the job done better than the 1266 X :icon_scratch: :dontknow: both are ferrous metal magnets especially small iron targets . Do you mean better pinpointing separation of targets when there are many ??? Nice hunt and finds . I will check out the articles you wrote :thumbsup: Hope you get a CSA buckle , this Fall . Much Continued Success and Have Fun dawg
Glad you survived the storm Dawg and I hope there are not too many downed trees in the old mill area that has produced some great finds for you. I would not have been reminded of that area in the post if I had not talked to Tennessee Digger. I walked into that area many years ago when I first hunted the main camp but the iron was overwhelming with the old 1266-X and I was looking primarily for lead and brass signals then. The F75 does separate signals much better. It was more of a priority then rather than the old detector as I was searching the perimeter area of that camp and know a little more about detecting and CW camp layouts than I did then. Good luck this fall Bud and hit that mill site again, Quindy.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Arcadian said:
Apparently you havn't noticed the avatars we are using. The avatars are from some of the sites we are hunting. Sometimes you have to dig a little Iron to get the good stuff. By the way your avatar is lovely.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dman said:
Arcadian said:
Apparently you havn't noticed the avatars we are using. The avatars are from some of the sites we are hunting. Sometimes you have to dig a little Iron to get the good stuff. By the way your avatar is lovely.

:laughing9: :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions