stamped large cent and other finds

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
took the day off on monday and rode the scooter around rockin out to some dead on my earphones and looking for good spots to hit. ive always had my eye on this on early 1800's home near my house and figured, hell ill go ask if i can swing around. thats a rarity for me, but this specific location is rich in civil war history so i couldn't resist.
after chatting with the caretaker, he granted me access. i gave pause with only caretaker permission-not owner, but after telling me he had been taking care of the home for over 20 years, i had no issues. especially since he mentioned, sadly the old man is in a nursing home. he went on, saying; "i have never allowed anyone to hunt the place in all the years ive been in charge. you can have at it today."
i spent the entire day at the house. i was in seventh heaven.
i focused more on the area behind the home with little luck before deciding on move in closer to the house.
one of my first digs was a silver ring. shortly after the ring, i dug an old paint can opener (i think that/s what it is :dontknow:).
i wanted to immediately show respect and appreciation to the caretaker so i stopped him while i was moving and handed over the silver ring. he was all pumped.
on with the hunt..i think the sterling cap came next at about 6 inches. maybe a flask lid/cap. maybe an opium bottle cap? then one of those old kodak film canisters that fooled me for some sort of little silver cap or cup until i cleaned it off and saw it had the film company's brand name.
the pendant fooled me for a coin until i got the dirt off that was caked on and around it. i had no idea what era it was from until i went home and looked it up online. seems to be a pendant our ancestors wore during WWI. very cool! :thumbsup:
i dug two wheat pennies but surprisingly no silver coins.
as the day wore on i moved out to the front of the home. the front's a nice yard that sloped to a road that has run for many many full moons. after about an hour out there i picked up what looks like a CW pistol round (feel free to tell me wrong). it looks like there was a massive tree in the middle of the yard at one point as i could see an unnatural contour only the site of a former tree would make. the bullet sat where the tree trunk would have stood.
while i was working the yard the caretaker rounded the corner of a bush curious of my finds and seemingly still excited about the ring. "thanks a lot for the ring. you can hunt here as long as i am here. just you though." i was pumped!
maybe my good vibes went straight to my coil because it wasn't ten minutes later i dug a large cent at about 7 inches. im still a little unsure if it is a braided hair cent or a classic cent. im heavily leaning towards braided hair after tracing the outlines on the computer. i have been going back and forth in my conclusions. its too bad the date is unreadable. but the initials HM are stamped into the copper which-for me-makes up for the wear. its 9.5 grams and 28 mm in diameter.
not sure what that thinly gold plated thing is i included on the additional picture post. the "button thingy" in the middle appears threaded. three chains ran off it originally. could it be some sort of egg holder?
needless to say i cant wait to get back there!
best of luck to all!!
DHD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
NolanTheExplorer

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
gold plated thing..

Last edited:

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also be in heaven to hunt there. Great story and perfect pictures also. You sound a lot like me in your posts., except the perfect pictures, lol... Hey brother, dig every signal if it takes a year!... I'll watch for your updates. Great job!!!

DANGLANGLEY

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like counter marks, counter stamped coins. Cool find.

Giving that guy a dollars worth of silver...good move !

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the racecar a "Hotwheels" or a "MatchBox" ?

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy said:
Is the racecar a "Hotwheels" or a "MatchBox" ?
I don't think it's either. Maybe Tootsie or corgi

OP
OP
NolanTheExplorer

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• thepeoplesrepublic.JPG
    thepeoplesrepublic.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 418

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Next time you go get into the property, take a deep breath, look over the area's horizon real well and pick the best place. Go in with a thorough sweep; nice and easy; coil right against the ground. I bet you find something great. Just take your time (Not that you dont already know this, but a little encouragement can do wonders). Nice finds! :thumbsup:

ES66

Oct 3, 2008
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nice bunch of finds... I bet there's some more great stuff waiting for you there...

OP
OP
NolanTheExplorer

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CoilFisher said:
Next time you go get into the property, take a deep breath, look over the area's horizon real well and pick the best place. Go in with a thorough sweep; nice and easy; coil right against the ground. I bet you find something great. Just take your time (Not that you dont already know this, but a little encouragement can do wonders). Nice finds! :thumbsup:

THANKS COILFISHER
"thorough sweep; nice and easy; coil right against the ground"..all good advice for young bucks like me! :wink:

thanks for everyones comments

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread