Belt Buckle - Pirate? Missionary?? Any ideas please????

A

AndyR1961

Belt Buckle - Pirate? Missionary?? Any idea's please????

Hi folks here is a belt buckle found recently, it is marked as follows:
Lat de 11.9 N
Long de 60.42 W
Anno domini 1759
it is a brass contruction belt buckle it is 5 - 6 inches tall.
Any idea's or thoughts??
The Long/Lat seem to refer to a point just off the tobago coast.
All the best
Andy

Attachments

• belt.JPG
    belt.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 3,408
Upvote 2

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Re: Belt Buckle - Pirate? Missionary?? Any idea's please????

Really awesome find there, and I agree with the others that place it's value as determined only by the imagination so far!

OP
OP
A

AndyR1961

Hi Guys wife thinks we should try it on ebay, hmmm I kinda like it, then having a totally full loft, garage and just about everywhere else I'm a crazy horder and she, well she just likes to spend money!!!!!!!!!!! Bless her and what she dont spend the kinds manage to rob me of ;D .
Will post some coin finds later tonight.
All the best
Andy

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Pretty cool buckle.

Never saw one like that before.

HH Jer

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy

Here it is with Google Earth....

Attachments

• new image.jpg
    new image.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,151
OP
OP
A

AndyR1961

Hiya thanks for the google image, I guess f someone can afford to go look, all the best to them and if they find anything????? Buy me a beer.
Will - wives rule the roost mate, although its not sold yet....
All the best
Andy

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

;D Andy: Forgot to Welcome you to TN in the 1st Post. Now that you have us all excited over your "Find"! Many of your Cornish Countryman migrated here as Miners in the past. Brought their Cornish Pasties w/them too. (Ask your Wife to put THE authentic Pasty recipe in our Recipe's Section) Have you ever ventured out to the Isles of Scilly? I understand it's PRIME TH'ing Grounds!

I can see your Buckle on ebay now!

MYSTERY BUCKLE!!!!
Will it lead you to a King's Ransom in Pirate Treasure? Is it the location of a long lost Shipwreck? Did it belong to an English Man-a-War Master?
This could lead you to your Pot of Gold at the End of the Rainbow! This is a once in a Lifetime Chance!
So Bid High! Bid Often! This Historical Prize Can Belong to You!!!!!

Let's see some more Pics of your Finds! JOE :o

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man dont i know it..... lucky i got my MD. but my wife has to FIND me before hse can rule :|.... and believe you me i make that as difficult as possible.....GL and HH!

OP
OP
A

AndyR1961

Hi Joe thanks for the welcome, its a great and lively forum this, loads of interesting topics, was reading untl the early hours lst night.
Yep apart from Pastie's Pixie's and Pirates/Smugglers Cornwalls miners have dug all over the globe, sadly not here in Cornwall anymore but hey that's 'Progress' for ya.
Man my wife can spend money like a princess but can't cook pastie's for .......................
I like the advertising by the way....... I wouldnt know how to best describe it on ebay.
I havent done the Isle Scilly's as yet there are pretty tight guidelines over here re MDing, will be doing Whitsand Bay this weekend though.
All the best
Andy

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy

Andy,

Glad I could help with the Google Photo...good idea including the photo on your Ebay listing. Good luck and let us know if it sells. You might also consider submitting it to the best finds of W&ET. Just a thought.

Dave

OP
OP
A

AndyR1961

Its one of those great gambles that defines our hobby, we always hope today will be the day, if not why would we do this hobby, the thrill of never really knowing if that signal is something cool or just another can pull, I will be as happy to keep this buckle if it doesn't sell as my wife will be if it does, isn't this such a great passtime, I love it, its better than doing the lottery as you know oneday your gonna win even if only a small prize.
All the best
Andy

J Dubs

Aug 12, 2006
IOWA

Very cool buckle! it could have been black beards or somethin!

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Hello Andy and wellcome to the forum!!!!

Here are my 10 cents:

If I was you I would hold on to that piece until I have done a full research on it......Did you know that the story or history of an artifact could increase the price too...."no limit" the story and the passion of an artifact has no price limit to a real collector.....

Joan was buried on the 17th day of Jan, Anno Domini 1759 aged 2 (Lydford Cemetery, South Devon, England) close to the site where you found it....

Let me ask you a question; How did you find this buckle?

Best,

Chagy..........

P.S. What happened to Diving Doc?............

OP
OP
A

AndyR1961

Hi Chagy
It was found, not in the ground with my metal detector (sorry guys) but in an old shed locally (Check out my google home ID) its as close to the devon cornwall border as you can get.
I would be really interested to here from 'experts' in the field of nautical relics as I am the first to admit Im no expert.
All my attempts to discover its history have drawn a blank.
All the best
Andy

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy

Hey Marc this is your kind of story and lead........ 8)

iamwood

May 27, 2006
MA

My simple 2 cents.

The buckle itself may be worth a bit of money, but handing the information that is on the buckle out for free must seriously lower the value. Good luck with the sale of the buckle.
Mike

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

AndyR1961 said:
Hi Chagy
It was found, not in the ground with my metal detector (sorry guys) but in an old shed locally (Check out my google home ID) its as close to the devon cornwall border as you can get.
I would be really interested to here from 'experts' in the field of nautical relics as I am the first to admit Im no expert.
All my attempts to discover its history have drawn a blank.
All the best
Andy

Andy:

Post it in What is it? the research team there is great....I am sure they can help you ID this buckle....If you ask me I think its a very interesting find.....

Best,

Chagy.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread